Boundless now self published on Steam

It depends on the acceptence of a seasonal universe. If a significant part of the playerbase would enjoy it they would be condensed down to a universe of only 5something planets and it would create an almost beta like experience where everyone lived closer together.

1 Like

The point is to just clean the empty claimed plots by people that don’t even play or ones that do play and just claim 1000 plots somewhere and never build.on it. This would also cleanup all the dead shops and malls.

If those can be removed without a wipe I’m game. Sadly I know they won’t be removed so this why I like an idea of a wipe.

Just to add I prefer a world wipe characters can stay.

If we get 249 with the standalone server software, a player could pretty easily set up something like this.

1 Like

Equally, though, we’re able to keep ourselves remote if we wish to, and use portals.

A new user is unlikely to even know about portals with the current setup of the ‘tutorial’ and how it leads you through some goals. However I don’t think anyone would question that the new user experience will need a looksee there … but it only needs a little tending. Just improve how those initial goals work, and what they teach you, and how they’re structured.

Back to the portals, though, I think (perhaps) allowing one local planet only portal per player (not per character) would really help, here. It would pretty quickly show the value of portals to players, and let them decide if they want to be remote, and learn how to get fuel. Or build local to a city, and have less worries. It’d also enable long in the toother’s to setup useful hubs (which already exist) and for brand new players to build out in the middle of no-where, but have a link to society.

Limiting players’ usable plots forces people to build ontop of each other, and near each other, as they’ll otherwise not get the benefits of greater ‘sprawl’ to do bigger projects in.

I appreciate that we might be talking at different volumes, here, too. I don’t have much (in game) … and I build small. However I spread out to maintain as much of the natural landscape as possible to ensure that the planet doesn’t just become Coruscant. The side benefit is that I also hopefully don’t have to deal with someone’s gargantuan build every time I look out of the window. It’s taken me a long time to get to this level of peace … I’m not having that stripped away from me.

We Just Need a Better More Updated “Trailer” only reason I got the game is to see the Old Builds Which didn’t exist and the Portals that really does need a better tutorial seeing I opened one not knowing I needed to fuel it or what the timer thing was (Sorry if I off got lazy didnt read all xD)

2 Likes

A good thread for others to read up on previous discussions of the seasonal world concept here

2 Likes

Read this long ago still think the planets need a wipe or at.least the removal of 1000s of plots claimed with nothing on them. Keep the charactera and levels.

Keep existing plots where the owners have visited and or built on within the last few months

Do not ever wipe. While I see people on both sides, I think you would lose more people with one.

4 Likes

Would probably be more like a reset new planets new mechanics new game something like boundless 2

1 Like

I agree, maybe we should have a comp where the community make a trailer ……. Main feature cookie kingdom :wink:

1 Like

Just wipe the dead ashed plots and the plots that take up entire planets with nothing in them that’s all the wipe I want.

3 Likes

What if someone builds with ash lol
I’d love to see a entire city built with ash just for fun hahah

4 Likes

While I’m not advocating for any kind of wipe (and only originally mentioned it as an ongoing forum joke and not something to be taken seriously), what if a wipe was the difference between having the current servers setup being unaffordable and shutting down, or streamlining the server costs to a manageable level so that the servers can stay up?

2 Likes

I think they should At least close few public planets… If its worth shutting Down… I mean they brought 2 eu servers up When there was invaasion of People one weekend.

I think they still pay the price For it.

Sure i know People have stuff there and all but after they released sovereigns i Feel like many players hopped into those and public worlds are now more like whatever.

I personally wasnt ever big fan of sovereigns as it create somewhat unfair situation Where some People can use wallet To get specific stuff.

1 Like

One game I played and supported in Early Access was Planet Nomads. They implemented a blueprint systems and I loved it. But the game was ultimately a failure, as they poorly managed their budget and ran out of money.
But the blueprint system had its flaws too. It made it possible to put light sources inside trees. Any blueprint placed underground had to be dug out to get to.
Let’s hope that if a blueprint systems is implemented in Boundless, that they do a better job.

I don’t know the answer. Your concept certainly makes sense. Let me keep all my blocks/items (like a reclaim), cubits and plots. I would still hate it but that would take some of the sting out of it.

I’ll just have to wait until James comes out with his announcement.

Except there was already a wipe. The planets from EA with all their builds, etc. were wiped to make way for the new planets.

I agree with @Buugi to a point. Maybe it’s time to wipe the current worlds and put out completely new worlds to give people new places to explore and plot. And doing that, they could put out a set amount of planets that would match their budget for server costs.

I would be in favor of a wipe if it’s necessary to keep the game running.

To be fair everybody knew the Wipe was Coming cause it was early access state.

5 Likes

A wipe is not what keeps people in or out of Boundless. Well, maybe a few, but I suppsoe there are always outliers. This game flings you randomly onto a planet to go out and forge your destiny. It’s our crazy desire to be king of the mountain, center of the universe that makes people think they have to be at THE BEST SPOT.
It’s a building game, build your own best spot and when you get a chance open a portal to the hub you wish you had but someone else already does.

4 Likes

As was already stated

The wipe at launch was known and communicated to the players long before it happened. At this point, the communication from the developers has been that there would not be another wipe, so the fact they said that will be brought up if they did another wipe.

I will not disagree with your point. If the only way to keep the game running was to match the number of planets to the number of players, then a wipe might be the only fair way to reset the planets. The universe is oversized for the number of players and it could come down to keeping the game running or not. It also might come down to needing the universe to be smaller to have any funds needed to continue to develop the game. We shall see.

2 Likes