Boundless roadmap

It would certantly help the game imo if they just explained what they still need to do - they’ve posted dev art of the crops, great! Do they still need to model them, if so, how many?

Are they simply working out final balancing? is it a programming thing there fixing. Modeling? Is there anything else being worked on that might mean less development on farming (such as the hunter?) How long is THAT from being released ect…

2 Likes

The other game aside (I don’t want to discuss it either), you made a point about roadmaps and I responded to it.

I am saying that a ‘clearer’ road map on the part of wonderstruck won’t make things better or worse. If anything it’ll just be an update on what we already have available.

We know where they are headed, people are just impatient, it’s as simple as that.

I like the subnautica roadmap, clear goals, what’s done, what’d being done etc.

So what comes after farming? Something before farming? Cause I have no idea.

2 Likes

But what it can do, is put everything in one place, such that newer players have something that is easy to refer to, and it gives some level of accountability on to the devs, when they put all the mentioned features on to the road map, which everyones eyes will be looking at.

Right now most of them are lost in various dev blogs and every now and then I even sometimes see someone link one that I have never seen before. and it has created the question, rather or not this function will EVER be put into the game, most likely due to the fact, the situation was mentioned in a post that has not been touched in ages.

So I do feel there are some upsides to a better roadmap that contains everything, even if there are no ETAs mentioned. As it at the very least, Puts everything in one place, and gives some players more assurance that the mentioned features WILL come and have not been forgotten about.

For example. The Lance. I feel its any ones guess at this point if this has been forgotten, scrapped, or is on its way at some point.

1 Like

its not so much that we are impatient its just like what Mayumichi sayed we have no idea whats going on we are told by the picture roadmap that hunter is next but then we get the coin machine and new forge stuff and now it sounds like farming is going to be before hunters. we are just confused and someting has simple has a trello roadmap would fix that

2 Likes

Just the tip would be enough :weary::joy:

Hey I’m just as impatient. I made a post last night wanting more hype stuff posted because I understand it could be a bit until things get to the test server. Those things you mention (chrysominter and venerable forge update are things that come up after an outline is pushed out and those things need to be addressed all while completing your outline/roadmap) I don’t see as roadmap deviations.

And to @Mayumichi ‘s point, you’re right we don’t know directly what is being worked on. Given the way their staff is structured I’d bet they are working on many at once, with the focus right now on farming. While that’s being done I’d bet they are going through the exo data to understand better our gathering patterns so they can adjust future perma planets accordingly. You could make an argument they could be able to do that with current world data but with the introduction of exos I’ve seen some rather unusual tactics I hadn’t originally seen on perma planets .

I’m not saying there’s no point to a roadmap. I’m just saying we have an outline on what they’re working on currently and we’re lucky they interact with us as much as they do. They don’t have to do that but still finding the time to. We’re spoiled. We’re used to getting some form of update fairly regularly and when that doesn’t happen, all of us want more and more info. That’s normal.

I’m not going to continue my end of the conversation, you all have fair points. My point is simply that we could get a new roadmap updates and when that stuff doesn’t hit the markers outlined, people will just complain again cause that’s what we do :slight_smile:

Impatient?

I’m sorry, but no. As in HELL NO.

The ladders concept arts were posted in December 2015.
The totems and stickers were posted in July 2017.
They’ve had concepts for clothing/armor and other playable races since June 2016.
All the props and furniture have been drawn in November 2017.

All concept arts thrown without context.

You can’t talk about “impatience” at this point, as if it’s our problem if we get the shakies.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’re taking things so personally. I’m not trying to offend you at all. If the word impatient came across as rude, I apologize. I think it’s clearly evident by my clearly silly post I made last night that I’m jus as impatient.

You have yourself a good day man.

1 Like

Don’t take me wrong, I’m not offended. But I think it’s unacceptable to let ourselves believe that the problem is ours.
I am indeed invested personally in the matter, about as much as I care about the game, since I spent waaaay more money into it than I should’ve.
The devs have to be more transparent.

1 Like

Crops were going to require direct, vertical sunlight in order to save some pre-rendering on the server side.

Not sure what triggered it but maybe the hanging plant designs, in any case they decided to check on the server side so indirect sunlight will now be allowed. AFAIK actual sunlight is still required, just not full/direct exposure.

They said some plants will grow from other sources of light.

Tho this comes down to the other topic at hand unless you read every post and every comment you’re
bound to miss something.

Let’s not forget that the point of the thread isn’t the farming update, though.
The point is that these informations are not in an official thread labelled “the farming update and all you need to know about it”. I guess you gathered these tidbits here and there, where they were written in places that are not convenient to find for all players.
The point is that we could write ourselves a thread about all we know on the farming update thus far, but it’s not our job to do so.
The point is that this kind of info on any upcoming feature should be easy to find.

1 Like

You missed my edit. And i found where I got my info in about 30 seconds when I actually decided to look for it. Wasn’t an official thread but was a thread focused on farming.

Yup, and it’s not acceptable that the players have to reunite all these infos themselves.

1 Like

Never said it was. But I personally am not really affected by it. I’ve got nothing but time when I’m at work and I’m something of an insomniac so I read 99% of the posts and read all the comments in the posts.

But like I said I never said it was ok or acceptable that people have to read every thread and that there’s not a more solid road map. But some times I do feel that obscure tid bits here and there are nice not to be in an official post. Shows interaction with the community and could be a dev leaking info he or she might not actually supposed to leak.

Edit: please don’t look at the summary on my user page. Kinda shows boundless is my life paired with the 1300+ hours active in game.

1 Like

I think that the type of roadmap they have provided in the past – like the image at the top of the thread – is great. It gives us a good idea of what is coming up in the next several months. They sneak in surprises too. All good with me.

Even a modestly more detailed roadmap takes significantly more time away from doing actual development. Priorities change all the time and the simple image roadmap tells us what they’re fairly confident they’ll ship in the coming months, without having to revise it all the time.

It has been a while since the last roadmap though, so it would be nice to see it updated.

2 Likes

i would think a trello text roadmap would be a lot faster then a image one that requires drawing color and editing

The trello (or something similar) would be an investment, but a good one.

I have been burnt yesterday by Jesshyland about how it’s not our place to say what their priorities are or should be.
However I’d say it’s totally legit for us to ask for more transparency from them.

1 Like

You can already jump in and play the game with limited features…