Boundless Roadmap ?!?

Pretty f@#ing sad that the devs can’t share ANYTHING regarding a roadmap and that we have to rely on dredging up old art from years ago or pure speculation.

A game where the devs can’t share anything about the roadmap means there is no roadmap and they are just developing whatever they think is cool at the given moment. Fact.

2 Likes

Or they’re just constantly afraid of the community’s reaction, so they mostly show stuff when it’s done.

I’ve worked in the game dev industry. It means there’s no long-term roadmap. It means they are taking it a couple features at a time based on what they think is cool at the time. It means they are just coasting along. They have a rough idea of where they want to go but they won’t commit to anything because they want to be able to change their mind overnight if needed.

1 Like

And now I’m getting my posts flagged and hidden because I actually gave examples of how other dev teams are communicating with their community.
EDIT : I retract what I said, apparently, a moderator or a dev has removed the flags.
But there’s still an issue with how the flag system is available to people who clearly don’t understand when to use them.

3 Likes

Here’s my vote

i wonder why dev’s havent given us some sweet dev art

8 Likes

Yup… the stuff has been around and in execution for more than six months if I remember right. The initial idea to "really do it "probably happened over 1.5 years ago during a conversation with me about balancing machine recipes and that it would be nice to have like more natural looking machines like a wood working one, etc. I think they always knew the machines needed revamps but weren’t sure how/etc. Finally the devs agreed that a revamp would be nice… but it has been months of work and still no set confirmation it was going to happen. Considering how hard it was and especially the “timing it should happen” I can see why it isn’t shared immediately.

A road map solves one view in “we know” but still consistently will lead to frustration since people cannot allow the time needed or will get pissed if the thing is moved in the roadmap. Plus things come up out of the blue “new ideas” that would mess up the roadmap - and result in more complaint and people that want everything perfect. All that is just too much noise to manage or deal with. I still see it as easier to share when they are “certain it is going to hit live”…

4 Likes

So if we are getting a machine change I guess that also means that coils and spark are probably going to face some changes.

Which could also explain why it’s been so long

Those other related things like coils could be… that I think really comes down to I guess what areas of the game they want to hit. I do know much of the time they prefer a full sweeping revamp so they don’t have to change things again (or at least not for a very long time). I do know they understand that some people would have to adjust how they play but in the end I can see how the betterment of the game is most important.

Yeah… I talked many times about machine and recipe revamp with them ever since the game was released. Many things though had to be in alignment for them to even consider that step or even if it would ever happen. Even when that happens it is really complicated on how it will play out until release. So, while I do a general roadmap is nice, I completely understand and do support why sometimes the silence is better in the long run.

2 Likes

Don’t share anything devs. You all have shared plenty of concept and possible future aspects of the game. It’s like give drugs to someone then taking it away and watching people withdraw. Give it time with no clues and people will get through the withdraw and get used to not seeing it. Though you can PM me concept art and upcoming mechanics I won’t tell :innocent::crazy_face:.

6 Likes

Am I the only one highly concerned by this? Agreeing on something and spending months of work on it without confirmation that you’re actually going to do it? And then not doing it?

My brain is struggling to even comprehend how a business runs like that tbh.

I can get canceling plans during discovery. But this makes it sound like plans changed post-development/pre-implementation which is a bit…shocking?

1 Like

I think he meant that even after all the progress on those things there is no official post about those incoming items. Which means that they probably are not even ready for testing beta

2 Likes

Don’t know about anyone else but I still consider this game as early access. Which is fine nothing wrong with that. Updates will come and changes will be made. Some will like them so will not. I have noticed though in many things that change the devs make sure they hear our voice and understand that something may have been to drastic of a change and levels it out a bit. Most devs with games make a change and just don’t care if anyone hates it or will quit, but we have a team that seems to care what it’s community needs or wants. Always remember a creator always has their vision of the game they want to make, the devs in the game atleast make adjustments for us with updates and that speaks alot to me atleast.

2 Likes

Oh definitely. We’re still running around in loincloths after all :laughing:

2 Likes

That doesn’t sound promising at all. If Wonderstruck is shifting gears towards another project, I assume a Square Enix IP, Boundless will be worse off for it.

1 Like

If I could take it off I would. Though don’t know if others would appreciate it :crazy_face:

1 Like

Agreed. My first thought was something Final Fantasy related. And yes, I’m taking it as not good news.

2 Likes

square made final fantasy but bought boundless. would be the BEST if there was FF DLC :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still get some of my posts with links to examples of dev-team communication flagged by some trigger-happy forum-user, notably a post that already was flagged and that a mod/dev unflagged. That’s getting super annoying.

Oh definitely, I agree, but the devs certainly don’t think so, since they had the official release almost 2 years ago.
Damn. So much time.

IMHO, if you wanna see FF stuff, go play an FF game. Christ, I like seeing crossovers when it makes sense, but making a crossover for the sake of it, ugh.
Played Assassin’s Creed : Origins recently, stumbled on a quest that seemed like it could have some deep Lore implications, but it was actually all a setup for a FF online promo thing (if you’ve ever played an AC game, you should be able to tell what happens in that clip is totally off). It shattered the immersion the game was barely trying to keep me into.
So personally, I’d vote “HELL NO” on a crossover event between Boundless and FF.

2 Likes

Just because it was released doesn’t mean they couldn’t consider it EA still. We have know idea what someone else thinks. Alot of games get released as what people call “gold” when they are still EA. Games continue to receive updates atleast once a month. I play a game that have been in production for 7 years and was officially released and is still receiving constant updates.