Boundless was okay yesterday but today it's not?

I don’t agree.

If this update stays the way it is and is not rebalanced, many portals will close. And a lot of people are NOT ok with that.

3 Likes

Maybe change the amount of fuel required based on the distance the portal travels across. The time fuelled from one shard could vary.
Example:

• travel within the planet - 24 hours per shard
  • adjacent planet - 6 hours per shard
  • distant planet - 30 minutes per shard

This could mean that large transport hubs between planets could be built and maintained by donations from multiple people. Smaller portals could lead from individual settlements to the transport hubs that would be very cheap to fuel. Maybe have a ‘hub’ portal that can have multiple people warping into it from different places to get access to the transport centre. Transport would be more accessible but there would still be the group accomplishment of creating large portal networks together.

In terms of getting rough oort from cuttletrunks, I think the best bet is to scale the number of oortstone dropped to match level and difficulty. Also adjust spawn rates of different level creatures based on difficulty - could have level 1 spawning in populated areas and level 5 spawning in remote areas.
Low level characters joining cities wouldn’t be killed by superpowered creatures, and experienced hunters could seek out harder challenges for higher rewards.

1 Like

Portals have been too easy to obtain - I run 6 of them currently with little to no donations of Oortstone most of the time. As a single player, it should not be that easy. I may be able to keep one open to the next planet, but that’s the way it should be IMO.

It’ll push people to create hunting parties to collect Oortstone (remembering that EVERY person gets a drop from the killed creature). I think it’s Marvel Team up time…!

I can understand your wish to keep your massive portal hub running - it’s quite an achievement that you’ve built, but I stand by my case:- Portals need to be seen as a massive undertaking, with groups and communities pulling together to achieve them and maintain them, not for them to just be scattered around on every street corner leading to here, there and everywhere.

When I opened up Miner’s Bluff for others to build there, 3 out of the first 4 people to build, built their own portal back to their builds at Therka Market. Each of those players were less than 30 blocks away from each other … on BOTH planets. How is that sane? Now multiply that by however many people will populate a server after release. If it’s too easy - It’s no longer a massive achievement that people can aspire to - it’s as lackluster as building a door (sorry, doors look cool by the way - but you get the idea).

7 Likes

It should still be a challenge to survive on ring planets for those with end game gear, but it should also be a reasonable challenge for someone beginning to seek out end game gear, or else how are they going to get it? Yes, shops are always an option but that shouldn’t be the only option surely?
Maybe it’ll be more fun for non-maxxed out players when there are group mechanics.

3 Likes

This is it entirely - people have been used to playing solo and being able to largely do most things themselves. All the tests that I have seen performed on creature hits now, have been as a solo player. THAT is the challenge. Now imagine a group of 5 of 6 people all attacking the same creature, all farming the same creature for drops. It becomes easier.

A lone player, could do it, but it should ultimately be hard to do it alone. Possible, but hard. This is a community focused game after all.

I’ve just checked on the game files and the Tier 4 & 5 Cuttletrunks drop a min of 1 item and a max of 3 items - with only a max of 2 Oortstone and a max of 2 Dark Blood (They can also only drop a max of 1 each of Tallow, Meat & Bone).

I’d agree, that there does need to be slightly higher drop rate for all items from a Tier 5 creature, but I’d like to play a while longer than 10 minutes before I fully weigh in on that. If anyone is willing to form a loose group on Munteen or another ring world to test group combat against the same creatures, I’m ready and willing to try it out…

3 Likes

Roadrunners on all worlds and tiers drop oorstones to, even if it have been a bit difficult to catch them lately

1 Like

I agree @Stretchious. Mass Portal Networks are meant to be a community cost. Thus sales, donations, guilds, etc. I only own 1 portal and ALL my other rough Oorts are given to the Portal Networks I frequent (looking at you @SWProzee1 :grin: ). I feel as a community we are too wrapped up in the convenience of personal portals and need to change our view on their frequent placement. Since portals are usable by anyone (atm), why must we ALL have portals from our shop to our houses in cities? (sometimes in the same city!) Since there are these wonderful portal networks currently, (@SWProzee1, @Cookviper, & @Jeffrotheswell, to name my current favorites) I believe we should be using these systems to navigate our cities more, thus helping with oort shortages, maintenance costs, and current gathering difficulties. (Also don’t more portals in one place cause more latency/connection issues when loading in chunks?)

On another note though, I am worried that gem slingbow durability/use VS reward in resource amounts might be unbalanced? Even though I’ve wanted planets to become more dangerous and pose more of a challenge, which they now are; a solo hunting trip where you use up 1 gem bow for only 10 rough Oort/~100 Shard/~1 week of portal time. Thus if you don’t have tool durability, 1 gem bow might only equal 1 week of portal time? Also, 3500c (standard price of a Gem bow?) =100 Oort Shards? I feel we need an economist’s weigh-in on this possibly? @OmniUno? Support your local Portal Networks!

5 Likes

Just to get a feel for people’s thoughts on this I want to ask a question.

How long (in seconds) should it take to take down a creature on your own with the right gear the following levels?

I ask for time not number of hits because it is clearly the time that is more valuable.

1 Like

Oh no I didn’t even think about getting more Oort stones! I’m going to pull all the oort i have in portals now so it’s not wasted. I feel like it’s going to be more precious than gems with how ■■■■ the battle system is now D:

1 Like

Oh poetic. I go in to save my oort stones and the game crashes, refusing me like I was trying to pull my money from a failing bank. Ha.

I am of the opinion that if geared correctly a lvl5 battle vs a single enemy shouldn’t take over 20 sec or less than 10 sec. this is saying you have right tier weapon but maybe the wrong element in a longer fight? Also any less than 10 sec for a lvl5, I believe will be a closer feel the old system of hunting being too easy. I know 20 sec is long, but if you are only geared to tier and not the element; I think a longer battle of jumping around and avoiding enemy blows is more entertaining than just quickly moving on to next mob.

3 Likes

at lv 1 fights should only take 5 to 10 seconds. people learning the game have a lot to take in so a few levels of bunny bashing seems apropreat.
after lv 10 though 10 to 20 seconds seems fair. i personally love the dance of combat and enjoy fighting multiple foes.
after 40 most fights should be the same except for those rare epic creachur spawns.
we have yet to see ground bashers and such so I think spitters, hoppers, and cuttlepunks should go quicker than those larger aponents.

4 Likes

I am of the opinion that with a group it will be not only easier, but a lot more fun. After all, as @Stretchious said, this is a community based game. Imagine going to a ring planet with your guild as a hunting party. This would be great fun and, with the correct amount of rewards, totally worthwhile.

4 Likes

Most mobs on a planet that you’re good for should be 5 to 10 seconds.
Between 10 and 30 seconds for the exceptional tough mob (that should also reward accordingly).

Farmable bosses are normally 1 to 2 minutes with raids going towards 10 minute fights.

3 Likes

Mother of G–… they put a flipping 600 flat DT on Tier 5 Cuttles? Which now are the only ones that can even drop oort stones? (Tier 4 drop meat and bones now, even on Munteen VIII/Nasharil)

This is absurd. Those things probably have, what, 20,000 HP?

And they changed Diamond slingbows from a long ranged crit-auto into a trashy point blank shotgun? Kill me now… At least they seem to have moved Ruby Slingbows into the spot that Diamond vacated.

2 Likes

Hunting SHOULD be relatively easy if you’re specc’d 100% into it. 5 seconds with the best gear/stats and no misses is not remotely unreasonable.

This would extrapolate out to 10 seconds with slightly less appropriate stats or gear.

30 seconds to even a minute with the best stats/gear is fine, if it’s a “bada**” enemy that has special, very valuable drops.

As others have said, Bosses should be on the order of 30 minutes solo, or 5-10 for a group. Raid end-bosses should be about 10 minutes with a full group, max. Any longer than that and you start to lose party memebers at a rate which makes it un-fun for everyone on weekdays. On weekends a end-raid boss could be a 30-45 minute fight for a whole party, but it should also be some sort of special raid in that case, that only is available on weekends perhaps.

3 Likes

No. “More people makes it better” is not a good solution, or a good argument, especially when you HAVE to go through ring planets to get to other homeworlds or moons. Everything (that isn’t explicitly team oriented, like raids) should be solo-able.

You’re thinking that ring planets should be raids. They aren’t, and they shouldn’t be.

5 Likes

Oh watch out m8 u might attract attention u don’t want because this game is not supposed to “solo-able” even though it clearly should xD cause if u can solo in a multiplayer game why would u need to talk to anybody or even buy from shops WHAT so ever xD (notice the sarcasm btw)

Buying from shops doesn’t have a whole lot to do with “not soloing”. If you’re not actually interacting with another player, and you’re exploring and fighting on your own… you’re soloing.

There’s also been a rather clear delineation before between solo and “group” content. Titan Raids are intended to be group content in most or all cases as far as I can tell. I wouldn’t even have an issue if there were dead-end planets or “special” planet chains that required a group to really get a foothold on, but it shouldn’t be done like this even in those cases. Making it so even with a large group you can barely break even when you’re on the path from one homeworld to the next is massive overkill.

Trying to tell people that going to/through the ringworlds (required to access 3/4 of the “normal” planets) is group content is absurd.

You don’t put groups together by punishing solo players… you put them together by giving bigger (time-efficiency) rewards for things only groups should be able to accomplish.

2 Likes

You talk a lot of sense. No part of a game that is sandbox - that is, play it your way - should punish one player to encourage the playstyle of another. At the end of the day this is a game, not a job. Not everyone has spare hours. 30 mins for one monster? If I have 2 hours spare time of an evening, it won’t be spent doing that. Sure, cater for people who have that time, absolutely or else they aren’t challenged, get bored and move games, however there still needs to be incentive for us on time budgets or else we’ll sadly have to move on to other games.

3 Likes