Building Kor'aelessaan

I am building Kor’aelessaan located in a rather remote and to me, very special and beautiful place on Therka.
For your interest: Kor’aelessaan is a build in progress and it is based on the ideas @Pseudonym84 @Sevio and I shared when we created Cloud City. Of course some of you may know we decided to cancel Cloud City due to the shear size of the project and a lack of manpower to actually get it done before 2019 :blush: So yeah @Pseudonym84 I am going to continue the idea here for anyone interested.

Kor’aelessaan will be a town for pilgrims seeking a roof, a bed and peace at it’s inner gardens. It is located on a manmade floating island (still in progress) building the island as well as it’s upper and inner workings, block by block. Kor’aelessaan is built with almost no symmetry in mind; allowing for a natural feel with little pathways and a warm sort of openness. The idea here is to make every step in Kor’aelessaan count and give you a view your eyes will like.

Will keep this updated with significant changes:

Here are the first few screenshots I made when I was done with the layout of the what I call the baseline floor and started working on filling the bottom with igneous rocks. All igneous rocks have to positioned vertically, so that means hanging on the mid floor and attaching the igneous rock piece by piece… above your head. :sweat_smile: I knew I had to do a drawbridge so that’s there for later improvements.

So I alternate between placing the igneous rocks and working topside, because it’s getting rather goofy doing the hanging work for longer periods of time. Here’s the entrance with the first foundations of the housing:

Here we’re looking at the entrance from the (I believe) western part of the island:

Closed the gap underneath the entrance and improved the entrance itself a bit. Also expanded the contours of the housing. At the far end in the back in this second screenshot, you can see the first layout of the library in the form of a tower (circular):

View from the island (standing on some compact silk which obviously I forgot to get out of the screenshot, sorry I’m new to making them): :yum: Seems I also improved the graphics settings a bit :sweat_smile:

Looking at the other side of the island from my compact silk position, you can see the road splitting up into two parts: left is towards the inn, which isn’t built yet; towards the right and elevated leading to the library/tower:

Bottom of the island is coming along quite well, getting my hands on igneous rocks and sedimentary rocks is tedious but worth it. Leafs add a completely different dimension and make the island stand out. Forgot to turn on per pixel lighting for these shots:

Chiseling some to seed some ideas about how the island will look when finished. Not going to chisel too much too soon.

To build the underside, I first lay 1 layer of ‘anything I can miss-block’ to later, grapple down to it and attach an igneous rock underneath it. Occasionally you get those ‘horizontal’ errors when tired… Gleam helps to brighten the working area because it’s all pitch black:

Shot from the other mountain, not much to see yet…

Started experimenting with house styles to get distracted for a bit. Not finished of course. Also tried several grass types to match the sedimentary rock colour. I am still considering using multiple grass types depending on the amount of sunlight a plant would receive, darker gnarled grass for more half shadow areas and brighter verdant grass for the fully lit areas.

Mostly just placeholders for experimenting…

The inside of the island looks like this right now. You can see the inner layer is made up of Refined Metamorphic at the moment. I’ll clean up the inside once it’s required to move the blocks to a new section or once I’m done and the underside is completely sealed:

First house tryout with some more detail (yay for per pixel lighting) sadly my Mac can’t handle it too well so I play without it. You can also see the tower construction in the background.

Finished the inner plaza and tower progression. The parts where you don’t see the Stone Slabs is the area where I’ll go silky soil with grass and plants all the way underneath the drawbridge.:

19 Likes

I’d like to buy a vowel…

2 Likes

Ha, sorry! Kor’aelessaan:
Kor (as in CORE) - AEL (as in ELEMENT) - Es (as in ESTEEM)- AAN (as in… don’t know actually.)

I’m dutch so I wouldn’t know of a word that sounds like the dutch aan.

So glad you decided to continue with the general concept @endymion. Throw those co-ordinates my way! And even though I’m busy in Elop Portas, I don’t mind sharing ideas, or helping out however I can.

4 Likes

A dream is hard to undream, so to speak @Pseudonym84. I am using the building skills observed from you. You know me, I first have to blob down a lot of blocks, before I know if it works. The location is actually the one I scouted pre Cloud City! I’ll post the stats as well as the location in a bit.

4 Likes

It would be really cool if you recorded your building sessions and shared it with us :wink:

A lot of skill has gone into making this.

7 Likes

@luke-turbulenz thanks for the compliment! I’m not a real tuber but I decided to buy some software to capture the most recent building session. I don’t cut anything out or comment, so sorry if it’s not what you expected. I’ll just keep recording occasionally for later reference. Also, I haven’t got the best gaming tech so it’s not ‘beautiful’ like how many others can play (so jealous).

8 Likes

Can I share this video on Facebook?

Edit: I’ve taken the liberty of sharing it already

5 Likes

So I continued with some more decorative work on the houses as well as some more flooring and I believe I got myself a decent setup to work with. The style should be warm and welcoming so i wanted to implement red as it compliments the sedimentary sand colors. It’s all experimental still, and it could change in the future - but for now I’m happy with it.

Oh, and I also started fiddling around with the graphics settings for my screenshots. And I figured I would just hide my interface when taking screenies. Think this is much better, but I’ll leave you to be the judge.

You can see the new red Lustrous Wood from Vulpto implemented here on the entrance and on towards the inner plaza:

Foliage grows well in the afternoon shaded area, not so much on the other side.

Had to force a lens flare here :slight_smile:

The inside of the building has a nice view of the surrounding area

Didn’t really get to do the grass and soil yet. The part that’s open on the side of the house is actually 1,5 blocks tall to prevent people from ‘unnaturally’ hopping through windows:

View from the inside of the house unto the inner plaza

Some early tryouts on the tower/library

These shots were made from the tower

And a selfie without hands to finish the day!

10 Likes

I did some gardening on one of the little entrances. I tried so many types of grass I just went with what felt right. Some choices can be really mind boggling/numbing you just have to go with your guts I guess…

_

11 Likes

New milestone reached: finished construction of the bottom part of the island. I am now alternating work on top with chiseling the bottom to achieve the rocks or sort of stalactite structure I like to see down there. Also adding green hanging foliage.

New building added: the inn.

11 Likes

So today was fun! I had been wanting to build a vertical garden in awhile and I thought I’d use storage blocks for it. I think it looks good and ads a bit of a different feel to having larger foliage against the wall there. Second part of the game I have been recording some seed farming and gardening.

7 Likes

Sorry if this is boring to you, though I thought I might as well publish it for anyone wanting to know what farming is like in Boundless.

1 Like

The actual gardening action is over here:

2 Likes

Sorry for the necro-post. I took a little break, felt good. So much has changed in Boundless once again. I feel I should keep playing or I’ll get back to newbie status. Seems like @Wschichl has been ninja-building a great build quite closeby in the meanwhile, which has officially connected Nacronis to the Kor’aelessaan Main island.

Continuing my work on the tower in the back here:

Varying with steps, slabs and walls can get your some odd angles:

Beautiful view from the tower towards the endless horizon to the North:

11 Likes

Progress! Considering I started the tower with steps and slabs prior the update, I now had to relearn this new chiseling system. But hell, it’s been such an amazing evening with the new chisel system. It’s very intuitive and easy to use once you get the hang of it. This, really made my building much more creative and getting rid of some edges really cranks up the ‘resolution’ at which you can look at a building now. It’s insane!

Now I feel like doing the underside of Kor’aelessaan… guess it’s going to have to wait a bit longer.

12 Likes

I had another run at the vertical gardens (which is a bit old now that we can chisel the heck out of them leafs) but hell I’m happy with it so I finally finished scattering the waxy leafs around the storage blocks; Also done some roof work; And I got the spots where I want to grow some trees figured out; Time for some chiseling in the near future!

Oh and I wanted to point out where Narconis (built by @Wschichl) is located when looking down from Kor’aelessaan. It’s got a great roof-design, which everyone should simply have had a look at.

You can see some roof coming together in the back here:

Nacronis taking a peek:

Look at this, you can really see the island casting a shadow on the land below it:

7 Likes

I am so excited about making this smaller island with a hanging bridge in between I just couldn’t wait for it.

So uh… here I thought I’d make a short screencap of what I was gonna do. And then I get all into the game again only to forget that I was recording in the first place :sweat_smile: So sorry me, but I ended up with an hour of footage! I could cut it up, but I believe uncut footage is… uh… pure? It’s actually hyping in Iceland and Norway I believe… It’s also a trend to watch someone cut a tomato, with a very sharp knife these days so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Another exciting day in Boundless once again. ■■■■ I’m actually playing my 400th hour now… Didn’t even realize that…

Decided to build my first tree ever in the Kor’aelessaan Square (rectangle but who cares). I was kinda delaying it on purpose because I had no idea how and where to start. But really one thing that really helped me was to just jump into it and start placing some blocks. Soon I had a couple of standard rules I wanted the tree to look like and suddenly I was done. Quite happy with the look and feel of the tree in there. Will water it ever day from now on!

8 Likes

I really like that tree. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes