Buyers charged 10% boundless tax

Did you know that when you sell something in a selling plinth, Boundless government are charging a 10% tax on top of your sell price to a buyer without notifying you.

In all seriousness I get why we might need this I just had no idea that it was happening.

Now you know.
Signed.
Rolco - Protector of the people.

5 Likes

I would like to see this done more thransparent later ā€¦ like a small info which shows my price and what I get from it. For many people transparency is crucial in games with a working economy :wink:

2 Likes

Hang on, whatā€™s this about? Is this real, or a joke? When somebody buys/sells stuff there is a non-player associated tax with it???

1 Like

100%, just didnā€™t want to bust anyoneā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to early :wink:

@CunningCelt Iā€™m completely serious. But Iā€™m also being light hearted. Everything you have purchased is loaded with the 10%.

Will you explain why we need this? I know itā€™s a game, but stuff like this bothers me so bad. Why add any complexity to it, and what does the ā€œtaxā€ go to?

Iā€™m only assuming the tax is a coin sink. It never really goes anywhere, it would just dissapear.
If no coin ever leaves the system.

We eventually would have way to much of it circulating and the price of everything would just go up and up and up.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m missing something, then. I thought that it was made sort of clear by the release of the skill trees that our levels will be capped. Since every level gives a predetermined amount of coins, I assumed that there was a fixed amount of coins everybody got from when they entered the game until they reached max level. This would mean that the only extra coin would come from new players. More players means the economy itself would grow, but I donā€™t see it meaning that we need coin sinks.

Hypothetically, even if the levels were not capped but it got harder to level in between each increasing level, then the higher you leveled the fewer coins a player will get per unit of time played. If the economy works the way Iā€™m assuming itā€™s meant to (people will be somewhat dependent on one another to buy rare parts at later levels) then as people level up, they will actually get more poor because their coin income is more scarce, but their spending will be the same or greater per unit of time played.

Every transaction made decreases the total coin available with the system as you say it is. If there is a level cap, this canā€™t possibly be the way it is supposed to work because as soon as the number of players stops increasing as fast as the original acceleration, there will be a noticeable drop in coin. Iā€™m no economy major though, so perhaps my logic is faulty.

2 Likes

Good point, itā€™s not something Iā€™ve looked into myself so Iā€™m glad you brought it up. Maybe we could get some answers here :slight_smile:

I remember the devs saying the tax goes to some sort of super guild. @james?

1 Like

Question for @olliepurkiss.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to own that super guild. :wink:

Oh man. It reminds me of this mmo that we used to play.
Every week you would fight and battle for 1 of 4 regions at a castle.
The winning guild would then earn the 10% tax from all sales in that region for the week.

Was super exciting to be apart of. Ideas are brewing

1 Like

I think that was the plan. If your guild get big enough you eventually become said super guild. Not sure if thatā€™s still the plan though

2 Likes

I like this. It was the idea of simply making the coins disappear, or essentially taking them from the players who ā€˜earnedā€™ them that I didnā€™t like. At least with a player-owned guild getting them, the coins stay going to the players.

1 Like

The tax is an important part of keeping the game economy flowing. Money flows into the playersā€™ hands from the Central Guild via the progression system (and some other ways yet to be implemented), and out via tax back into the hands of the Central Guild. By adjusting the rates of this flow in or out, we can control inflation and liquidity.

Boundless is a player driven game and we want as much of the game as possible to be in your hands. To this aim, it is the intention for player Guilds to take over aspects of control from the Central Guild, including tax. We have to be a bit careful here as an out of control economy wonā€™t be good for anyone, so I canā€™t imagine a situation where all tax will be player controlled, but getting as close to that is possible is the intention.

In terms of displaying tax, itā€™s currently set up to be as simple as possible for each person involved, at the expense of overall clarity. So for someone selling items on their plinth they see the amount of money they will get, for example if they want to sell 5 hammers and they type in 100 Coin per hammer, when they come back they will have no hammers and 500 Coin ready to be picked up. From their point of view, thatā€™s simple. For the buyer of the hammers, they will see a price 110 Coin per hammer, so if they choose to buy them they have to spend 550 Coin. From their point of view thatā€™s simple. The difficulty is that those players donā€™t know how much tax has been added. We can easily add that (we do need to do another pass on those screens), but it will add complexity which is not always desirable especially for a beginning player. As always, weā€™d love to hear your thoughts on that.

8 Likes

Nice, thanks for the informed response.

I donā€™t mind the tax so much It was more the surprise of not realizing it existed that got me.

Couple of personal concerns for you to consider.
I like to sell my items at a desired number, or a rounded number. Thatā€™s my OCD kicking in and it annoyed me when I had items for 33 instead of 30.
From now on I will factor in the 10% so it is always a nice rounded number for my customers on their end rather than my own.

In the world there is good reason behind advertisers selling a $300 dollar item at $299, I also like to take advantage and play with the numbers my customers will see.

If I go to price match or beat someoneā€™s price without knowing of this tax. It definitely puts you at an unintentional disadvantage. @olliepurkiss is selling a gold hammer for 4000 coin. I see that and go to beat his price at 3900 coin. My item is now listed for 4290. I lose the sale without even realizing he was actually cheaper.

I like the way youā€™re thinking, hope that adds some constructive food for thought.

2 Likes

Thanks Rolco. Itā€™s a good point about trying to compete with other peopleā€™s prices, Iā€™m also a bit OCD, so I know what you mean about round numbers! Weā€™ll see what it looks like with more info on the screen when setting prices to see if we can make it work.

3 Likes

I can see a possible issue with the lack of transparency on prices arisingā€¦

Weā€™re bound to get people wanting to display prices on signs to try and draw in potential customers, which could cause some confusion when they appear differently on the plinth. Although, I can see that being an issue with fluctuating tax rates as well.

People will need to get used to adding ā€œ+ CG Taxā€ on any signs displaying prices :smile:

Maybe collect the tax when you take the money out of the sellingplint?
With a message that tell you how much it is.

4 Likes

I like Heurekaā€™s idea.

You could also manage this in another manner, say I establish a sale price of $420, it could then tell me based on my established sale price ($420) what the tax from my sale price would be, in this case would be $42 so the total value received by the seller would be $378. Maybe you could possibly set it up so that it states (Sale Price - 10% Tax = Total value of sale after Tax). From everyoneā€™s OCD perspective seeing a round figure without the added trouble of taking a 10% into consideration would surely make things a little easier. Also sellers could play with their selling price until they are comfortable with both their Sale Price and their total value of sale after Tax.

Just food for thought.

1 Like

Try to find a way to inject money in the game for player with nearly maxed out progression or else theres no more money coming in the game and money is still coming out. Right now, nearly nobody is buying and everyone try to sell, itā€™s a good indication that something is not right and there are easy way to solve this problem. You could make NPC plinth that buy stuff but donā€™t sell anything, you could give a little bit of coins on logging each day, you could reset challenges and give money when you complete them. Issue of leveling up crafter and trader skills could also be solve so people can get a little more money from leveling up. Best still, random chest loot with coins in it.

1 Like