Hey folks, I just wanted to bring up the topic of Sovereign Worlds. Obviously I know we are in a state where nothing aside from new player experience is being tackled in the near-mid future, but I still think it is worth discussing these topics so they have a variety of things on their radar.
I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, but I hope you’ll hear me out and understand a bit of where I am coming from. And at the end, please vote in the poll as I would love to see where you stand and the developers could always use more data!
I haven’t played for a very long time, but I have ordered many worlds across a couple of accounts now. I want to share with you my thoughts and experience with the system as I think it needs a massive overhaul.
- Pricing seems fair. A bit more expensive than a Minecraft/Rust server, but honestly to be expected given the size and complexity. Higher player counts would be nice though.
- The creation process is a nightmare. Using a google sheet to order a game server feels incredibly bizarre. An in-game tool or even a dedicated website where we could get a visual representation would be far superior.
- No information is provided about the world types, resources, etc. The community has to spend thousands of dollars trying different configurations to figure out which resources spawn on which planet types more often… that is absurd. Even with this data, individual community members have to “reroll” sometimes dozens of times (hundreds of dollars) just to get the generation they want or the resource percentage they want.
- The lack of a reroll function feels a little insulting. The only analogy that comes to mind is imagine having to buy a new rust/ark/minecraft server every time you want to regenerate the map… it makes no sense and just feels like a way to get us to keep ordering new worlds (which is also a bad business practice as you make more money by keeping one server subscribed long term rather than having to dedicate AWS to booting up dozens of servers in a week to get the right roll). It runs the risk of making some users just never refill their server time as they feel like their planet is useless (in my case I wanted 2 or 3 planets for my guild, but it was so frustrating we just stopped trying to get a good one and didn’t refill their timers).
- picking colors before generation would also be great, but this is not a huge deal as the in-game tool is fairly decent at handling it as well (the real-time feedback is nice).
This is just a summary of some of my thoughts, but lets discuss it further. Some people get really defensive when people bring up a critique of this game, but I hope we can have a civil and constructive conversation about this topic
So, how do you feel about the current Sovereign system? (Ordering process, RNG, etc).
Also, feel free to elaborate on your vote in the comments, as 3 choices don’t necessarily cover all viewpoints!
- It is terrible, I don’t like it
- Its okay, but a revamp would be nice.
- Its perfect how it is.