Update - these changes are now in the main release of the game so there is no need to try and run the beta which has now been disabled
I’ve been reworking the windows implementation of how we do fullscreen with the aim to address a few issues which people have struggled with notably
- Can’t switch out to another app/monitor in a multi monitor setup (e.g. to check boundless crafting)
- Can’t fullscreen the app on a preferred monitor making setups for streaming etc difficult
- Switching away from the app would also bump you out to menus etc each time
I think I now have a solution that should work for most people, it’s still a little rough around the edges (there may be crashes, you may get stuck with your mouse locked in the app etc) but I was hoping some of you would like to try it out and give feedback.
- Does it fix the issues you had before, if not can you explain them
- Can you find new problems, strange focus loss, unable to do something, if you can provide instructions for me to reproduce
- Does the new system prevent you from running the game in a way you did before? I may introduce the old method as an option if it’s still needed for some use cases.
- Do you see any major performance difference between this version and the non beta release.
- Does if fix issues with your preferred streaming app, I’ve had a quick look with OBS but not others yet.
If you like to try it out then you can access the new “fullscreen” Steam beta by entering the following code on the Steam betas tab for Boundless OrnENsIoUDuKEDmViuNo
Note that the beta will show up on Mac but there are no changes to Mac from what’s on the default version.
This version is also connecting to the main live worlds so don’t start destroying anything thinking it’s a clone of the servers etc.
- When the game starts we remember if you were in windowed or fullscreen mode but the game will always start on the primary monitor. I’m looking at ways to remember which monitor you had it on but for now if you want it on a secondary monitor you’ll have to go to windowed mode, drag it there and then fullscreen it
- If you alt-tab away from Boundless and then click back on the main window to switch back the first click will also go through to the game as well as regaining app focus, you can always alt-tab back or select on the taskbar to regain focus instead.