Cash shop? wait what?

And a lot of those “reviews” are from people who have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to this game.

Sure thing man… lololol

1 Like

An attitude like this is precisely what’s going to drive away customers from this game.

It won’t.

You don’t even play this game so it’s difficult to take anything you say seriously.

The Exchange is a feature in this game that’s not just tied to cash shop items. It also is where you get to spend your free Cubits you get from leveling and any Coffers you get for free from completing Feats.

That will be something that’s over looked by anyone who is “reviewing” this game that doesn’t bother to put any amount of real effort into understanding this product.

Which is why I find it hard to call them reviews in the first place.

1 Like

That won’t matter. People often bandwagon onto the cash shop part of it and ignore everything else. It’s what they do for many other games that release.

Like I keep saying, perception matters. This game could be the greatest bargain ever, have extremely fair monetization policy (and considering you can get infinite plots by leveling up over and over again, I do believe it does) but the fact remains, one of the first tutorial missions is to introduce a cash shop to a game you just spent 40$ on, it looks bad.

I’ve never said the game isn’t fair, I happen to think the current system IS fair, and that I can level up and gain all these things with relative ease is great, but I’m not arguing that, I’m trying to explain the damage of public perception. I’m personally fine with the “Exchange” at the moment.

Anyways, I’ve tried to make threads before on the subtle changes I’d make to lessen the impact for new players so it doesn’t feel as oppressive, but they just get derailed every time because seemingly no one realizes the frequency with which public perception tanks games.

I’ll stop making this argument now.

Just want to clarify something about this Cash Shop in the tutorial business…

The game gets you to go to the Exchange to collect rewards for completing an objective (you see no real money prices here unless you tab over a few times to “Cubits” and “Gleam Club”). Included in these rewards are Cubits.

Then the game will ask you to get some plots with the Cubits you just earned.

I’m pretty sure you’re talking about the perception again here, which is a totally valid point and we’re currently reviewing how this looks to players, I just wanted to be sure there’s no confusion about what the tutorial gets players to do.

6 Likes

There will be bad steam reviews, but I don’t think there will be a significant amount regarding this.

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

2 Likes

@MinerDiggerMan do you own the game yet?

3 Likes

In regards to the steam reviews, why not just flood the steam boards with factual good reviews, and upvote all the good reviews?

To clarify, not asking people to falsify or deceive others, but if you love the game, leave a good review and spend 10-20 mins upvoting the good reviews that do the game justice.

There will always be bad steam reviews. People are salty, and troll. You can’t fix everything, all you can dob if you think there will be a bad perception due to misunderstanding of the game mechanics, is to clarify and hope for the best.

2 Likes

People who bought backer packages won’t have their reviews count towards the review score as far as I know, and those are the people most likely to review positively.

I’m sorry, but where the hell did you get that from?

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s true.

looks like they get marked so people know when looking at specific reviews, but there’s also a date on each review. The score appears to remain to be the last 30 days, and all time scores.

source: User Reviews (Steamworks Documentation)

1 Like

Only games bought from the Steam Store itself count towards the review score as far as I know.

There was a huge uproar about this because people kept buying 20$ game keys from other countries for a game that would normally cost 50$, then flooding a game’s review score, inflating it or ruining it.

Unless they changed it back, I’m virtually positive if you bought this game off the Boundless Paypal website, your review won’t add a percentage point to the game’s score.

backer packages, not early access, I was trying to differentiate between a steam purchase and a website paypal purchase.

That isn’t even remotely how it works.

I spent less than 5 minutes and found someone who made a Steam review for the game that made a review who is a backer (he mentioned playing when its previous game name was Oort Online).

Steam doesn’t hide reviews of games on there just because someone bought a game from another site, merchant, or service.

Provide source to this claim. Sounds like BS. A game that’s good gets mostly good reviews. Bad games get mostly bad reviews.

2 Likes

Review score and actual reviews are different things.

But this thread is about cash shop related stuff anyways.

1 Like

backer packages from the website just give you a steam key… it’s the same thing I"m pretty sure.

1 Like

sorry didn’t read the whole thread before posting. looks like you’re right

(source News - More Updates to The Steam Customer Review System)

Interesting information… Luckily I bought mine on steam and just upgraded so mine should count

2 Likes

Same! I’ll do a drawn out review on steam tomorrow (family day today)

Steam name is phoenix1714

1 Like