Cash shop? wait what?

@Crete A lot of us have ranted and had our blood boiled, because a lot of us have emotional “damage” or “baggage” left over from other games we’ve dumped our lives into, and it gets ruined by poor decision from developers.

My advice that helped me recently. As much Time as I dedicate myself to writing a post, take the same time to at least research if I am correct or not. Don’t add the omg factor or the Worse case factors if it seems unlikely or in your case, where the devs explicitly told us it is NOT a p2w, and will be fair for all, and have explained what it will contain and not contain. (i did the same thing)

Otherwise we can get ourselves all worked up for nothing sometimes. These devs have earned our trust over the time we’ve been backing it and voicing concerns. Trust when I say there are so many of us, that it would be hard to not have come across similar feelings. I look forward to seeing you in the new universe.

2 Likes

I would actually kinda like to see Guild and big cities have different bonuses for citizens, a friendly way to compete? Like a Hunter’s Guild, that gives some bonuses to damage, and a Miner’s guild, you know?

2 Likes

I would be fine with that as long as it wasn’t linked with ranking with prestige type stuff…

2 Likes

Why is that? Having two different Miner Guild’s compete might be fun?

I’ll clarify… No issue with them competing against each other but don’t need it to be a city gem spam situation and especially not linked then to the normal city rankings, etc. That is more what I meant.

2 Likes

Couldn’t they just make prestige linked to a new machine that specifically increases prestige?

The Machine could have 100 different recipes, all infusing a certain’ amount of prestige into a block, that way we could have a Copper City worth as much as a Diamond City?

I like your idea, but i won’t support it.
Because you need to think about people who don’t like to join the guild.
This game is more about freedom.
These thing should not be push by the dev team.

If you want to create a guild with this kind of rule, i am 100% support.
But if you ask the dev team to create this kind of system, i won’t be a fan for that.

3 Likes

If guilds want to compete then they have PvP coming. Be awesome a war of miners against each other. Maybe fought in caves trying to cause cave ins swallowing opponents or crushing them. lol

1 Like

One of the tutorial objectives is to craft a warp augment and use it to get to another planet. All I’m after is people need to actually do that to leave a planet the first time as many never do that. They go in the game and go straight to portals and then are totally lost forever if they find themselves somewhere without a portal to change planets. So, not necessary exactly to have no portals exist on a starter world. Just make it so warp augments are possible to craft on a starter planet within the first 50 hours or less and then in order to use portals you first have to have done the step of having crafted and used a warp augment to change planets. Another thing would be if you really insist on never crafting a warp augment and using one then you will have to find all 50 regions on the starter planet. People are leaving starter planets via portals and never learning how to travel without portals and never looking at the starter planet. If you craft a warp augment and use it to change planets then it can unlock portals for all alts also as you have actually learned.

3 Likes

Perhaps the cubits were in testing and not live and that i was confused. I wasnt getting retroactive cubits for lvls 1-21

Playing in thr new release live version ive been getting them from coffers as i complete tasks

1 Like

It has always been their, and honestly I don’t think it will hurt if DONE PROPERLY… But these devs are going to kill the game before they learn because they are doing just that… they are learning… literally doing it live and testing it on us. Here is the honest and blunt truth. Cash shops kill games. Why? Because they do it incorrectly and it forced things to be bought out of a necessity rather than a want and it forces players to choose to not progress or to pay to progress, to look bland or pay to look cool. They COULD however do it properly. How? Add mechanics that cost money monthly to make life easier but not broken. Example? Infinite energy. Seems broken? But in reality, it just removes the crappy hunger mechanic. Then they can use that data to prove that a mechanic sucks, like “starving to death” and change it in game so people no longer need to buy it. The devs will make money ON their learning rather than punishing people FOR their learning. THIS is how shops SHOULD be done. Come to a mechanics cross road in the dev department? Make it a pay to test feature.

I’m gonna be honest, I find this to be much more of a rant after looking at the other thread…but I think this needs to be clarified.

The current cash shop does not have anything that I personally see gives any long-term advantages. Extra plots are nice sure, but when a planet gets over-populated or over-plotted, a new world gets generated, so there is always space. Skill resets are a short-term advantage/solution for leveling up, and I find a generalized build for a first character to be easier in the long run. In addition, you do not need to spend a penny to get anything in said cash shop for this game, as the real money currency is Cubits, which you get from leveling up.

There is a monthly subscription planned called the Gleam Club, but as far as I am aware, all this does is keep your beacons fueled, which is, as you said, a “make life easier but not broken” option.

As to your starving to death (while I know is off-topic), I will say this:
Boundless is an MMORPG voxel sandbox game with a lot of Minecraft-like qualities…hunger being one of them. And fun fact, if your hunger bar drops to zero in Minecraft, you will die, or at least, you used to. In the modpacks I play you still do though. It’s not a new mechanic, and yes it is tedious at times, but it’s very manageable.

4 Likes

Okay so it doesn’t lack female models, the two models just look very similar. Also, cubits are very easy to make by just playing the game. I’ve been playing for the past few days and it’s great.

2 Likes

@james

I haven’t followed Boundless for some time now as I have just been busy with other things, but have owned the game for around 3 years now, played countless hours through development, contributed to the forums where I had something useful to offer, and made a few friends. To be blunt, I’m quite disappointed the word micro-transactions has now been attached to the game. :pensive: Regardless of the current model, and knowing Sony/Square/Enix which when I first heard Wonderstuck struck a deal with also caused disappointment, I’m now very reluctant to continue to support the game. Very disappointed indeed! Corporate greed are creeping in to slowly destroy what was once a game I thought was truly for players. So many other avenues for revenue generation in pricing, marketing, heck even a reasonable subscription plan would be fine with me as it’s upfront and transparent. Who knows what tricky, underhanded model they might adopt in the future. Unfortunately, for now, this leaves a bad taste in this founding supporters mouth…very bad indeed, and I’m not going to be playing or following Boundless for some time now. Maybe in the future this will worsen, maybe it will improve. Bottom line is I have many other games to play that don’t use micro-transaction models of any sort and they will get my time and support.

To my friends in Boundless ( @Stretchious @DonBab @TENTHisle @DanBeforeTime @Combyte ) , I’m sorry we won’t be hooking up in-game any time soon it seems. Best wishes with your endeavors! :peace_symbol::fist:

3 Likes

Have an actual look and see if what you hear is true? Its not p2w, and not needed. But i suppose there are always people who believe whatever hype they hear. Sad though, its not true but who cares to verify rumours.

4 Likes

It’s my opinion that’s it’s not up to me to spend my time searching and reading to verify rumors or not. I spent 20 minutes reading this thread and see no clear explanation of the model/intent. Micro-transactions in general do not sit well with me. My opinions are my own, right or wrong, and if someone clearly and concisely explains why this is truly entirely benevolent, I’ll remove my first post here and eat my words, provided future changes by the devs don’t revise the foundation of this entire discussion. I’d be much happier having the opportunity to buy a Bouldness t-shirt or ball-cap than wonder what intent is behind-microtransactions.

Please don’t imply to neither know anything about me, my personality, intent, motivation nor why I form the opinions I do. They are simply my entitled opinions, as you are entitled to yours. :peace:

Your opinions are your own yup, you are entitled to have them! My opinion is that its sad that people believe non-truths, whatever their reason for this but as you pointed out, not caring to spend the time to verify would form part of the things that i find unfortunate.

I dont care to presume anything about your intent etc, just want to point out that some of what i read in your post is false in as far as my experience goes, to try and prevent others from reading what you state and believing-without-caring-to-verify by putting up an objection in an easy to find and low effort to find place. Like right after your comment.

I understand, there are many of the backers that feel this way. A couple of thoughts.

Someone put forward this idea to me. It no longer about trying to get the game made anymore. It is now about trying to get the return out what you invested in the project. To that end you could still play the game without micro-traning to try to get back in value what you paid in.

If you are opposed to playing in the MMO because it adds value to the product and in returns supports the practices that you are upset with. You might consider playing the game multiplayer or single player when that comes out. Also a good way of getting return.

I’m sad it turned out this way too.

1 Like

Not sure what you could clearly see as false in anything I posted here. I’m simply stating opinion in most of my post, otherwise undeniable truths that are such as they are verifiable and relevant only to me. ie. “Bottom line is I have many other games to play that don’t use micro-transaction models of any sort and they will get my time and support.”

Nothing is more precious to me that my time. I gave 20-30 mins, on top of the $40 or so I paid for the game back in development. It’s up to the devs to keep me, not up to me to defend the devs choices and spend more time researching.

I’ll leave this now. It’s obvious you have a passion for Boundless, as I once did. Enjoy good sir! :peace: I’ll check back at some point in the future.

3 Likes

@BoaConstrictor

Did you accuse Playful of corporate greed for adding MTs?

edit I’m just tryin’ to understand your argument is all, don’t mean to sound hostile.