Centraforge frustrations / -540 dmg forge effect / is this normal?

At first I was like “wow! this is awesome! a tad random, but awesome!”. Then I learned that there are plenty of gums, solvents and catalysts to play around with to take out some of the randomness and thought it to be even more fantastic, but…

That was when I tested some iron tools with it. Then I did some silver and finally dared do some Titanium AoE hammers. I first did one, it was fantastic! It had the full 9 blocks thing, extra damage, I finally understood the xxx gems per hour thing. So I wanted more of them, this time I went full in, did a stack of 3 Titanium hammers. They were even better than my first one! So amazing!

Then the last 15 hammers were practically worthless…
Couldn’t get the AoE boon on there, removed an unwanted one (glow, already have a glow on a chisel with magnetic effect as well), then getting the same unwanted ones back again and again. Of those 15 hammers only 2 or 3 have the actual 9 block AoE effect, most only do 2 blocks or do the cross things if they even got the AoE boon in the first place

This all isn’t so bad, they would stll be rather usable in other situations and be better than a normal Titanium hammer, BUT most of them get a -540 damage Forge Effect and I have no clue why whatsoever. This cause the hammers to lose so much damage potential that they become worthless even on lower tier planets.

Is this a normal thing to happen? Why do I get a negative effect when I use Pure Boon Compound 3? And why is it always a surprise at the end if the tool has been hit with this? If it’s normal why does it happen? Can anything be done to prevent it to happen? Or is it totally random?

If the latter, then the whole Forge feels like a gigantic waste of time to me and not worth the trouble. It’s frustrating as heck.

BTW, am on PS4 if that matters…

2 Likes

The aoe boon reduces damage by 40% or 60% depending on the level of the boon - (because you do more damage overall, but it’s spread across a bunch of blocks)

3 Likes

people overcome this with a strength Brew

2 Likes

But even on tools that I didn’t get the AoE boon on I get hit by a negative damage effect.
Plus, like I said, with the first 4 hammers I did didn’t have it at all.
One of them even has -1080!
I also have one with the AoE boon with only the block below as an extra, I have that twice, one has -540 damage, the other has extra damage!

There must be something I’m overlooking, it can’t be this random, can it?

Strength brews have effect on forging??

I’m sure he meant “[…] when mining”

Ha! Yeah, ok :slight_smile:

Still, doesn’t change the fact that it seems to happen rather randomly and would love to understand why it is happening and if I can prevent it to make more consistent forges…

It actually is that random if you don’t target specific boons with gums.

effect → bonus damage.
special → Aoe.
lightness → speed.
longevity → durability.

Check these out for more info:

@Havok40k how long does strength brews last? i didn’t think they lasted long enough to be viable when mining?

10 minutes pre-zeal bonus.
The added advantage comes imo mainly from needing to hit less often to break a block and having your tools last a lot longer.

@Ynnoz ah nice ty. Thought it was a lot less. Worth it for sure. Combined with a persisting food, that should put the negative damage at at minimal annoyance, while still making it fairly easy to forge.

Yeah, I had found that one earlier as well and tried to use it and then I kept getting hammers/gear I wasn’t particularly happy with.

But I hadn’t seen the video! That made some things way more clear and it clicked for me now, sorta!

So I managed to make some more gear last night and most turned out good, some even hella great!

Like this one:

Also made some other nice Titanium ones which now have less negative damage as well.

Even made a shovel which has the All Adjacent trait and is lovely for mud/clay/ash collecting! :grinning:

So thanks for your post with the vid!!

2 Likes