Central shopping planet

Yep, me too. I try to keep stuff accessible as possible, so to me “fair price” means the cost of getting it plus enough profit for me to get what I need for my building projects at the rate I go (not fast, so not much needed) and Oort for my portals. So for things on exos, cost of trip, tools, and food - let’s say between that I average 10-12k spent on a trip (depends on tools used up of course). If I go on a goo trip like I plan to later, if I get a thousand kernels (easy on one of the ones up now), not counting other stuff I grab, and charge 20c a kernel, that is still a 8-10k profit margin (and it will be higher with the other stuff), so to me, that’s a fair price. For things a little more limited and that take longer, like the lucent gems, I’ll go a little higher but those I sell 299-400c.

And really, to me a lot of the reward has been in meeting people, in the social aspect of the game. If I profit slowly, so what, is my feeling. But that is just my own philosophy on it, many ways to play, many mindsets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I used shopping scanner and it’s no where near what was made previously. I actually don’t know if I will even use it…I notice I picked a item and that planet had none…next planet had none…so I just got to keep going to each planet to get what i want…it’s kinda painful…and if u check your own planet your not going to check each and everytime…you will get to know shops anyway…thus tool for me is to find a shop previously didn’t know about…

3 Likes

I am a hermit, and poor lol, i just sell stuff because shop stands have a good storage capacity, my prices are generally 5-10x the chrysominter price. So if Goo “sells” for .9c in a chryso(w/o coils) then my price is 9c which is my current price for goo, if theres any left. I dont shop often and in my old age(I’m 30 :older_man:) i forget what i paid anyway so profit margins dont evek really occur to me :sweat_smile:
I do it just to do it really :rofl:

3 Likes

I have to say that I’m a bit surprised about the number of T4 votes. neato!

This reminds me of the original Boundless video where ‘you’ walk up to that towering ‘city’ and then in to a market place.

Of course that’d be much more possible if we were able to have beacons/plot on top of each other…y’know, with permissions…hint hint, wink wink :smiley:

3 Likes

Whenever this went into testing i was kind of excited but then i really thought about it. Yes it will be good that we have a way of seeing prices again but what will this do to the economy? Is this going to be a good thing or is it going to shift the market in a way that ends up making shops on lesser traveled worlds obselete? Im hoping that they are just starting this out small and getting the planetary price data ironed out so that they can eventually upgrade it grab from all of the known worlds

1 Like

I hope so too. I’ve been wanting this for a while!

1 Like

i’m looking forward to things being allowed to develop in the opposite direction to be honest.

People who are looking for something will check the planets they play on, and planets where an unadvertised shop had no chance before are now much more viable for shop owners. The tight limit remaining on listings will encourage shop owners to spread out if the population grows much, and help us to avoid the issues of concentration that rise from everyone trying to do their buying and selling on the same few planets.

I guess we’ll see how it plays out. Either way the new tool is a great step and hopefully we’ll start developing a stable and much more useful economy :grinning:

2 Likes

Slightly off topic…

So the devil on my shoulder (think Animal House) says why don’t people get together and create a group (AKA Crime Syndicate) to keep prices high on items.

Business and governments do it all the time (a good example would be diamonds. In reality there are TONS of them already mined. If they all were put on the market they would be worthless - get the ring real cheap).

Anyway if people want Oort for example (as this is the current red hot topic), have the group put it all for sale at a slightly higher price. Eventually theirs will be the only large amount left so you have to but it at that price.

This is just an example and I am not an economist so it might not work…but it does in the movies!

2 Likes

This was already done with oort keeping it artificially low because of the ability to sell mass volume.( it was easier for people to just dump in huge baskets instead of taking time to find those paying 220-250 for it in smaller quantities)Less hunts going on because other things are more fun and profitable and now we’re seeing what the true price of oort is.

Suppose you’ll be needing a special forged hammer then to break my knees with when I keep stocking cheap… and it is going to be a long haul to drag my corpse with a grapple to lava to dispose of it when I still don’t cave… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Oh I get that…I was just using this as an example. It could be Night Azure Sand or Earthyams. Anything! I guess I want a Crime Syndicate. LOL

2 Likes

syrup

Yea, that’s part of that scenario I made earlier with player A B and C.

At the end of the day most everyone is going to get what they want at the price they want even after market trickery.

Well yes I will. I’m SURE we could just add another gum to the mix and forge it.

But on a side note…I have something over here I want to sell you…just a little farther…right over there by the bushes…don’t worry about that cliff, it was painted by Wile Coyate.

1 Like

Why don’t more people want the shops on Alcyon? Sheesh.

3 Likes

Why would oort have a “true price” and not any other commodity?

It’s still going to be based on time and tool cost to acquire, as well as the quantity currently being brought to market. Unless you know something I don’t about these cartel rumors …

It’s easy to regulate a price when you drown a market in requests. Oort is used for a few things but both are high demand. The last time oort went up in price last year above 250 many request baskets were put out in various hubs at nearly the same price, lower than what they had been selling at.

After the hunts people just dumped in to those baskets because huge volume requests is easier than trying to run around and find the higher prices. There’s one thing a majority of players in this game hate and that’s trying to find someone to sell and buy from. I was poor back then and took the time and sold to those 250 baskets until they quit or closed shop.

We should give this some time guys, let’s see what happens. There is a lot of panic for different reasons right now, but it could turn out fine. Let’s just observe and see how it pans out.

I think it will all be fine

5 Likes

If diamonds become more expensive overall, the tools to get them will become more expensive too tho…