Central Spawn Location for Everyone & Community Event Center

People’s random servers is not vanilla minecraft itself, imo that does not count

Whilst I think it is a good idea, unfortunately I don’t think it would work … worlds are capped at 80 players - this central spawn location would have to be the same or similar, which would then mean it needs to be instanced.

Additionally there is a reason why we have the sanctum - purely to avoid connectivity issues and being unable to play at all.

In early access, before the sanctum existed, we just continued the game from the last place we left. However, this came with drawbacks… sometimes the world would have connectivity issues, which then prevented you from logging in at all. So, the Sanctum was created to bridge that connectivity gap by removing the need to start on a physical server - It’s all client side (which is also why we can’t have sanctum storage).

This is why we have 2 warp conduit blocks set up, so should your last connected world be offline for any reason (or full with other players), you still have the option to use the 2nd warp conduits to go elsewhere and continue playing.

As a little bit of extra info… A while back, one of the devs was looking at creating a bigger sanctum, which would also include some informational areas and possibly tutorial like instructions on how to get started. I’m not sure if this is still in the pipe-line or not, as most of the tutorials now happen on the live worlds (which somewhat makes more sense).

6 Likes

I see. Now I wonder…does BL use virtual/cloud servers only? Or does it also use regular dedicated servers & I’d assume more than one? None of my business really since I don’t work for BL, but just curious.

If there are 1500-40,000 ppl playing, can the servers handle it? Or will it basically DDOS itself? lol

1 Like

I’m not sure on the server architecture they’re using to be honest. I believe they have multiple servers though - which house a few of the planets per server.

If more people are playing, they would roll out more servers (planets) to accommodate them, as happened at launch. The universe is scaleable. There would still be a max-players-per-world cap in place though.

1 Like

I think it’s interesting that the guild limit for one place exceeds the server limit for an entire planet. Don’t mind me…just over cogitating as usual lol

It’s ok for now, but if the game balloons…all guild members won’t be able to be on the same planet at the same time and if a guild has their own little event or mini game…no one else can get to their places on the planet

2 Likes

Higher limit for guilds to accommodate alts most likely. That and not everyone is in the same timezone or plays at the same time.

At launch the player cap (per planet) was actually set at 100, but was lowered after some rubber-banding / lag issue arose.

1 Like

I remember :+1: I don’t remember any lag issues…I was pretty sure they raised the limit because we all complained that the guilds were maxed out too quickly.

1 Like

Sorry meant to say that the 100 limit was for players per world.

And yep a couple of guilds maxed out the limit pretty quickly :smiley:

1 Like

I imagine the player cap could be increased on this Hub world if there were no to little block changes to worry about and it was reduced to just a few regions.

1 Like

That and I don’t imagine people would hang out there all day. They would meet up with friends and go off to their planet to build and stuff. It would probably be a really active place though.

1 Like

It possibly could be, but would need to be in an enclosed area, as the worlds need to be a minimum size otherwise it causes issues … I’ll need to try and find the post mentioning that to be more specific.

Edit: found it I think… How large are the Boundless worlds?

3 Likes

@majorvex build it :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for that link. Very informative and very cool.

Perhaps a space station? Used for special community gatherings. Non voxel of course, Could have small biome replicas of each planet? Be it’s own server perhaps. The developers could hold events monthly for the community or we could schedule our own day/time slots to hold our own events? Space station would be visible from all planets in the game! Free warp from sanctum for all players.

images

totaly good idea. with on expecption. only devs could be building something there not players. this should be only noob friendly zone.

3 Likes

Yes, people would not be able to build there. The area would not change unless the devs changed it.

1 Like

i could be wrong but my understanding was boundless was purely run on AWS(cloud servers) has all the server IPs are AWS addresses and that’s a big reason why we have crazy low caps on some things

1 Like

Totally love this idea

Perhaps create a backstory as well.

The oortians arrived in this galaxy using that spaceship and now creating colonies in nearby planets

The ship contains dna matrix chamber which is how an oortian is “born” (new players spawn here)

It could also have learning facilities to prepare young oortians how to craft tools, eapons, establish home and colonies, build machines, portals, farms etc

2 Likes

How about the one thing that the game is striving for: to have fun.

I think that’s a good point behind it. Kind of crazy now that I think about it. :thinking:

3 Likes

The more Lore the better! :smile:

1 Like