Central Spawn Location for Everyone & Community Event Center

So your not having fun :scream:

I am. This doesn’t mean others wouldn’t get some fun out of some sort of handmade community event center that is built in the game. In Early Access there was sort of a couple places that did that.

2 Likes

There’s a long list of reasons in the original post and in everyone’s comments lol…

1 Like

Brilliant concept with some great potential for added content later. Love it.

2 Likes

I’m behind you 100% on some of the ideas within this.

But…

This is alot like what our Galactic gathering in Duskmoor does for our city. Noobs meet vets there, kick off events, people running around all over the place, we meet for trades there, and we are connected to TONS of player portals,hubs,cities, shops, hunt meets, malls,(your mall has more than a few portals in town :wink::+1:)and pretty much everything a player needs to get to.

Love the town crier idea! Love the leader board idea, and would love to see how a leader board would be done! You always have such neat ideas!

1 Like

I think it is a great idea and it could be that we can’t gather anything on the planets, no mining or anything as it is just a gathering, meeting place. You set up with friends who have bought the game to meet there and you can then guide them to your base.

Some planets have libraries, or museums that shows what is on each planet, the type of trees, grass, boulders, plants and that could be on display so players can see what is on each planet.

There could be displays of all the critters with a basic info of this one does this and this one does that, Goats (wildstock) won’t bother you unless you bother them or fire off a slingbow/fist close by but spitters on level two ae snarly and so will shoot at you.

The images of all to the foods and what to look for, the goo and such so we know what it really looks like. The images in the knowledge section do not in any way look like the real thing, at least to me.

I hope the devs give it some consideration, it really is a great idea.

2 Likes

Most of you know who I am, and what is likely about to happen.

>> No one is making you read this. <<

Central Spawn location = Single Point of Failure. Is that a downside you all are willing to handle with out pressuring the devs into having a heart attack about it when it does crash and burn?

Who would build this city or event center? If players build this, how would it be made fair to not to show favoritism and/or promote any select groups of players? If the devs build this, then they would have to invent some kind of lore to make this fit. which may or may not already conflict with the only bit of lore we already have.

What if people don’t want to start next to other players or in a busy area?

How would performance problems be addressed? We already have a select group of people who simply can not join public hunts due to various lag types. This might be absolutely game breaking for them.

How would obnoxious players be handled? or prevented from doing obnoxious things? z.B. Emotes that make sound effects.

One of the things about boundless, is that it is a decentralized game, adding this might change that aspect.

Where would people who die go? and how would they get back to their death point if this is a total replacement for the current system.

What about the logistical situation? being able to look up and see the world you were at/logged out on and being able to point your stick at it and place a new warp spot and so on. How would ranges to other worlds be effected if this is now a central place and not decentralized like the current system is? Could this system have the potential to render networks like the Portal Seekers hubs less useful?

Could this be abused to export stuff off of Exo worlds with out paying the costs to get back on?

There are many other things that would need to be considered, But I think this is more then enough from myself at this time.

This seems like it will be a massive change to the core foundation of the game (how players enter the game world), and therefore it might create many many other problems if the idea is not put in absolutely perfectly.

4 Likes

You put it better than me @Trundamere - what I meant earlier was more or less this and it sums up in one line:

I think Sanctum should stay offline.

Improvements to Sanctum? Yes.
Moving Sanctum online? No

2 Likes

So you mean like a lobby?
Like example what cod ww2 has?

Would be nice maybe every region could have their own so it helps with lag if so

@the-moebius call the creators… we got some work to do :joy:

This idea reminds me of Destiny when I used to play it. I think it would be really good, perhaps have it as an actual environment for the Exchange instead of pages we interact with, it could have a range of Elders like in the Sanctum that we get our levels and plots from etc.

1 Like

Yes, each World is a separate server, but they’re currently “in the cloud”. They might be separate physical servers, they might not be, but each is a separate instance running in its own little Linux container. They could easily be migrated to larger server or hard non-shared servers, at increased cost, as demand warrants it. I suspect the current configuration is an economic measure, not a technical one.

The fact that they all appear at the same address is standard high-availability scalable computing practice. Do you think amazon.com is a single server running on AWS (cough Amazon Web Service cough)?

Anyway, the Sanctum is a lobby running on your own local machne. Having a remote server be the lobby is technically impractical (not impossible, just increased operating cost and reduced player experience) unless the landing page for the game is a static screen where you can watch “connecting to server…” for ages.

1 Like

Well, you know I read everything…so…(lol)…
I will be happy answer some Qs if I can - of course this is all hypothetical -

It could be. That’s why I was asking about the servers. A single guild allows up to 500 players in it. If they have a party today, no one else can access the planet and 3/4 of their own members wouldn’t be able to get in. Maybe having at least one dedicated server would even help when there are issues with certain planets…ppl could at least spawn here, then warp elsewhere instead of being stuck in the sanctum (which happens now sometimes).

These places are always built by the game studio.

You should be able to spawn where ever you please.

How is this handled now?

I think we should be able to spawn where we died, or be able to go home. In most games you press and hold H to warp home or to the main hub.

The devs might not be interested in this at all. I dunno…it’s just an idea. It sounds like fun to me, but it’s ok if you don’t agree :+1: Thank you for taking the time to read my post & to make yours. I was just trying to think of something that would be helpful, especially for noobs. I think most experienced players would avoid the area unless they are meeting someone there or there’s an event (This is what usually happens in MMOs).

1 Like

yea that was poor phrasing on my part i simply just meant it as evidence that the fact they where AWS address ment i was not just purely guessing

i think it 100% would alot of the latency issues is due to most IPS’s not having the best routeing with amazon’s bucket servers cuz it makes less sense to optimize a route that only a fraction of your customer base takes so that maybe mixed with the high up/down demand(with it being a voxel MMO) and backend issues just all adds up to at times unplayable lag

I was trying to refer to the lag that is caused client side, not server side, as some peoples machines and/or PS4s can not handle a mass amount of people in one spot very well.

Based on some of the chatter I hear on the forums, not fast enough for some peoples tastes. I feel something would need to be done to simply prevent the obnoxious behavior from happening in the 1st place.

I have agree with some of the other comments. While could look spectacular I am not sure it is practical. Where is this server located? In the US since that probably the largest player base? Does that make it difficult for European and Australian players to be able to log into the game? Can you imagine the server load with a bunch of players logging on to reach an exo planet that just spawned or right after an update? If you end up rubber banding badly here, where can you go to try and return home? You could be trapped and frustrated for while until you managed to get an open portal.

So how many portal points does this place need to have? 100 or more so players are not standing in line waiting to get to their home or another location in their list? What happens if the game gets more players? This might work with 200 average players online but would it with 300, 500, 1000?

I think a distinct advantage to the current system is the player count does not affect sanctum. It is the same for 50 players or 500 without requiring a rescaling of a server to handle temporary spikes.

2 Likes

Most other MMOs have this and it works fine with their 2500 - 100,000 - 1mil players. :woman_shrugging:

Right now, all the members of one guild cannot even load onto the same planet before it’s full. What happens when there are more players with the current limits?

Couldn’t we still keep Sanctum but have an extra portal that leads to regional hubs/exchange area for the different servers.

1 Like

i think its a double edged sword its a advantage cuz its not connected to the servers but that’s also its negative due to this there is varly little the devs can do to improve that part take for instance the duel portal system back when worlds where going up and down all the time there were players that were just stuck cuz sure they could use the 2ed portal to warp home or somewhere else but they decided to just not play has they did not feel they should have to spend there coin on a server fault now if the sanctum or “hub” was connected to the system they can do things like oh we detected x world is down so your first use of the 2ed portal is free for now.

my self i just think a “hub town” would be way better then the current sanctum

1 Like

More worlds spawn and the player per world cap persists. The central spawn location then stops becoming central as it would have to be instanced… same as every other MMO does it. Meaning that you wouldn’t be able to do 50% of the things in your original suggestion.

That kind of goes against one of the major premises of the whole game though… everything is player built.

We kind of already have that anyway… so one way around that would be to give new players the additional choice to start in one of the top 5 cities on the world. Most of them have portals set up anyway.

The problem being, that hub is now the single point of failure. What happens if that goes down? No one can get in then.

If your last world was down, they could do a free warp opening to the next nearest planet (in blinksecs), capital or wilderness (player choice) and provide an on screen explanation as to what is happening.

This, however, could be easily exploited by blocking server IP’s or slowing down your network connection etc.

2 Likes

I just thought of it as an alternative to the exchange similar to the game Destiny where you just went there to claim your skill points, plots etc … the Sanctum would still be your point of return etc

1 Like