Chisel information and tips

How do chisels work? Can you use one chisel to make every block shape, or do you need multiple?
I also would love any actual building tips you have. I want to make alot of chiseled statues

There are three main chiseling types: Slope, Bevel and Square. Once you have chiseled a block to a certain type, you cannot chisel that block with any other type.

Every block are subdivided into 8 smaller blocks which you can poke with your chisels. It’s basically one sub-block for each corner of the block. If you use a basic chisel, or use a precision chisel without the precision chisel epic, you will hit 2 of these corners/sub-blocks at once.

The basic chisels are Stone(Square), Copper(Slope), Iron(Bevel).
The precision chisels are Silver(Slope), Gold(Bevel) and Titanium(Square).

The following link has an image that give you an idea of how you can shape a block with a chisel.

4 Likes

Can anyone link some cool sculptures that they’ve seen on the the forums. I’m particularly interested in faces or any thing with complex curves

Check out the omnishop page, think its theomnishop.net theres a setion on all chisel shapes there too

Most complicated chiselling I can think of is the Thunder Palace, which I think was made by @anon73404375 pre-wipe? (somebody correct me if I’m wrong). I pulled this from the Post your Screenshots thread:

7 Likes

Lightning Cathedral, but you were close, and I appreciate that you remembered it.

Most folks used to create depth and contrast using different block types, so I wanted to see how far I could go by doing an entire build in monochrome… That was the result. Mainly relied on Gold Bevels, but the Titanium Squares were also important for some parts.

To give you an idea of how much you can hack everything up with just a simple chisel, that small fence is actually a solid, uninterrupted wall that’s 3 blocks thick.

3 Likes

Very cool. How long did that project take you to complete?

The actual construction of the exterior you’re looking at probably only took about a month… But those are Igneous Bricks, which require Igneous Rock, Compact Clay, and a decent amount of Spark to make. So collecting the necessary resources for that took maybe twice as long.

And now that they’ve increased the Spark costs for bricks… Ehhh, but I’ve already taken up that grievance in a separate thread. :roll_eyes:

Haha I have a feeling I’ll probably get annoyed grinding for the the materials I want to build with too. Did you have to spend alot of time using the actual chisel mechanic or can you chisel a lot of blocks in a short time

You’d be surprised how good you can get at a particular task after you perform it 5,000 times in rapid succession.

2 Likes

My best advice for Chisels to use different types together! (seen below) It creates awesome shapes, hope these serve as inspiration, all from Therka (R.I.P)

4 Likes

Awesome work!

1 Like

There is at least one exception, square and bevel share the same half-slab pattern. So you can e.g. chisel to half-slab with a square chisel and finish off to quarter-bevel with a bevel chisel. This can save some durability on your bevel chisel, if that matters to you.

3 Likes

NNeat tip!

I think @Jiivita did a good tutorial vid on chiseling.

and my humble video showing types of chisels and examples of use in builds from the early access worlds (down the memory lane :heart_eyes:)

2 Likes