[Closed] Universal capital city discussion

I’m a little confused,but if I think I’m reading what I’m reading. Than let’s build that part, the portal hub now. If Zouls is on. It’ll help find the city.

Welp. if that is the case it is also a great idea BUT! here is the BUT! portals dont only go from world to world, they can also go from area to area, so i am just going to use this style for the reasons

1. they dont take too much space

2. there might be hundreds of worlds and even if i only make portals to half it would still take too much space.

3. if i also want to make portals to cities and special places on the worlds then i need even more space

Practicality mate, but then again, i am not really a builder, so i always go for the simplest and best solutions :smiley:

The world is not even online yet is it?

No,I’m think as a a prototype.just to get out ideas

Yeah,but they don’t have wraps yet. Do they?

1. i assume you mean warps and made a typo

2. warps are not place to place, they are just tempoary however alot of people seem to think that warps = teleportation from are to area on the world and portal = world to world teleportaion, not how it works, atleast not from the info we have.

however that is a technicallity also the portal hub is just an idea for when the game launches (my personal hub atleast) i think its just worth remembering that if this capital would be something that stays in the game even after 1.0 launches there might be a ton of worlds and a ton of ‘‘important’’ location in each world, so its either to build it logically and practically at first or to expand it later.

We have warps in the engine - but there is no way to build them yet.

What do you mean by build them. Like in game? Or coeds in stuff?

That’s perfect,no portals just warps. Think about it if someone wants to come to the capital,instead of building a permanent portal,make a temporary warp. It will disappear in 60 sec anyway.

There is currently no way for the player to create a warp in the game. We’ve done the rendering part (because it’s shared with the Portals), but not the crafting / constructing part.

Oh,do you know when that coming?

The point is… to have a building… where people can go to other worlds… if they want to go to a specific world they need a portal

Portals and warps haven’t been funded yet

1 Like

Oh,I see. What’s the problem here?

Look,I don’t know what’s going on. We where talking about one thing then other. It’s driving me crazy. So we need to get a city idea done,so when the world is out. Builders can get on it and get to work. So Zouls, Nyuudles,or who ever can build a prototype portal hub,and send snapshots. Please do so,it will help a lot to have a idea what a piece of the city will look like,even if it’s just a prototype. Then when it’s done,we can edit and change it to the way we like.
Then we plan out the city in parts,first town square,then the arena, then etc…
Then we build prototypes,and change those to the way we like.Sorry to be so bossy,but it helps me to know what going on.

1 Like

We jumped from talking about building styles all the way to the little details. We didn’t even get to decide on how we’re going to layout the city. Once we get the big picture out of the way, everything else should fall into place.

On Topic: How will we want the city to be organized?

Examples above aren’t going to be the actual city itself, it’s just a concept.

5 Likes

Your sketches continue to do an awesome job of focusing us :smile:

My preference is connected:

• This city is going to grow over time
  • Having open space between districts/regions allows folk to build in more directions than just out
  • The satellites can more easily have distinct styles
  • I think it’ll fit the terrain a bit better (we won’t have to clear all of the jungle - just a central area and spokes out)

However, that city-on-a-spire in the combined example really stands out to me as being very cool (though, how’s that fit in w/ the mountain?)

1 Like

Thank you @nyuudles, I personally back the “confined” concept for a few reasons.

1. protected against wandering creatures (or assuming they alter the mob spawn code so that one can prevent creatures from spawning in a region, it will be)
  2. outlying districts may be harder to navigate than having everything together in a walled in space.
  3. keeps everything within render distance

I would like to suggest building the city in a linear fashion with the spawn point and portal hub on one end, trade districts near that, and then the fanciest (read largest) structures at the far end of the city. A primary road from end to end provides easy navigation, and branching streets can divide the city into easy to identify districts. I’ll provide a drawn concept later tonight after work.

1 Like

I am liking the combined idea #3, best of both worlds. I think it is going to be hard to go with the flow of terrain and keep everything confined.

2 Likes

3 looks really cool.