[Closed] Universal capital city discussion

Alright everybody, I know a lot of you have been eager to start this phase of designing our capital city! Before we begin, I want to give a special thank you to a select few members for their particular contributions to this project! Thank you to our world builders, @nevir , @KKBell, and @Predatoxic. Also, thank you to @Nyuudles for the inspiring concept artwork! I also want to thank everybody who gave input and opinions in the previous thread for helping make this truly a community effort!

Now then, down to business. For the moment while we wait for our darling world to be born to the live servers, we are faced with two meaningful tasks to solve. The first is already underway in @DuskWolfā€™s thread in an effort to name both the world and city we will be building. The second task is to be discussed in this thread; the task of planning the theme and layout of our new capital city! In order to better maintain focus on this task, I want to specifically ask for these points for now:

• Over all theme (Western, Royal, Elvish, Roman, Etc.)
  • Features (Aqueducts, Stadiums, Spawn room, so on)
  • Color Schemes (specifically, block color values and block types)

Until we are on the ground in the new world, it will be next to impossible to accurately map and plot our cityā€™s many districts, infrastructure and features, so for now letā€™s refrain from discussion in the minute details. This is the time to post screenshots of inspirational fantasy builds that convey your ideas.

5 Likes

For reference, the starting area is laid out like this:

Iā€™m assuming that this will remain the same when the world goes up on a server.

Thatā€™s desert on the left w/ a small oasis, jungle on the right, and a big mountain bottom right.

You can also grab the world file if you want to fly around it.

2 Likes

There was talk of building the brunt of the city surrounding (and inside) that mountain; Iā€™m a fan of that!

Also, AFAIK, the capital teleport sends you to 0,0 in the world. This means that folk will be dumped into the middle of the jungle there. I think weā€™ll want a welcoming area, and some sort of pathway to the mountain, oasis, or wherever things will be built.

1 Like

I think that over time, we may see the city grow much larger than that little jungle in the middle of the picture. We may need to do some major terraforming prior to laying the groundwork for this city. Iā€™d like to see it go from the east side of the mountain to the far west side of that forest or further.

ehmmā€¦ why did i get a notification when you made this thread? xD

I invited you to it, ofc.

1 Like

Didnt know you could do that. however my opinion as a nonbuilder is still the same, split it up into districts of different building styles so everybody can enjoy building.

also i think it would be worth considering marking up empty spaces for houses so you can make a row of houses. so basically mark up spots on the ground of 20x20 or whatever that arent built in, then when the game gets further people might move into the city and they can get a spot where they can build a house or a shop

BTW, great timing to abuse this, i would love to have a badass smithingshop/house but i suck at building, anybody who can build one for me xD (though with no crafting professions and most likely no crafting progression i fear that i wont be able to play as a crafter :confused: )

1 Like

Fantastic idea!

1 Like

I liked the suggestion you posted in the previous thread along those lines.

So what should the districts/squares be devided up by? Iā€™d like a Cathedral, trade, and mage quarter, but I think we could also have an agriculture district, mining district and residential district.

1 Like

Logically Agriculture would work if they have a planting and regrowing crops. however i cant imagine a ā€˜ā€˜Mining district workingā€™ā€™ unless its a huge area which arent going to be beaconed ofc. then maybe it would work :smile:

Well,Iā€™ve been thinking about this for while,and I think it would be great to do a modern build. I know it sounds stupid,but I think it could work. Oort is a modern game,plus modern things just looks nice. Not anything like this http://www.lushome.com/amazing-s-house-ko-plus-ko-architects-modern-house-design/74237. But something more like http://www.crazyart.co/beautiful-modern-home-exterior/
I think it will look really good,and it could be a fresh start that no one will expect.
What do you think @Havok40k?

1 Like

Three possible ways to execute a mining district here:

1. entrance to a cave system built to look like a quarry or mine, with the area just past the quarry being unbeaconed.
  2. what starts as a simple quarry could be the beginnings of a massive underground tunnel straight to a future settlement elsewhere on the planet. The entire length of the tunnel would be beaconed.
  3. mining district goes into the base of the mountain and acts as the entrance to a massive subterranean complex of vaults, dungeons and secrets. All beaconed, naturally.
4 Likes

I think those URLā€™s are invalid and I canā€™t view them! :smile:
Yaā€™ll continue to discuss, I know the sun is just rising in the EU, but itā€™s 3am for me!

I think number 3 would be pretty cool.

Ok give me a sec.

Yeah! Pure fantasy is getting a bit repetitive; would love to see something different.

Maybe something in between modern and fantasy? (Or a blend)

Iā€™ve already gone to bed so I canā€™t easily upload pics from my mobile but perhaps yā€™all should investigate the ā€œhigh gothicā€ arcitecture of warhammer40k. Makes a great example of a melding between fantasy and modern. Perhaps something similar but a bit less grungy.

2 Likes

Me too,but before I goā€¦ Modern Greek and RomanšŸ˜Æ.

if that does not work, I will delete in the morning. I must sleeeeepā€¦

1 Like

Just going to leave these two here

2 Likes