[Closed] Universal capital city discussion

I feel like an Elven city incorporating the trees would be cool like heaps of treehouses with bridges linked between them as well as normal streets etc. Just a natural theme would be cool as the controllable characters seem to be animals :smile:

If you search treehouse city in google you will see some more examples of what houses could be

As mentioned before multiple different build styles would be fun. Though i think some fantasy-dwarven style would fit best inside the mountain, and something like this:

around the oasis

For features I have a couple of ideas:

• An aqueduct running in a spiral down the mountain and out to soem of the other city part
  • A beaconed pvp arena
  • If possible a portal hub to some of the other worlds (This would requier some help from the devs as we cannot create portals yet)
3 Likes

The aqueduct idea is awesome.
Maybe have a big lake on top of the mountain. And the Floor of the lake could be a glass ceiling of a temple/arena/something where a lot of people can just be.

IĀ“d like to suggest something thatā€™s more a convenience thing than a design element:
We should reserve a small space somewhere on the world (or maybe under it) where we place 1 block of each type in each colour. So you can easily access every colour scheme you need by simply mining the blocks you need and then placing them again in infinity block mode.

For design IĀ“d suggest that not everything in the city is neat and tidy. Meaning that we should also make slums (maybe in the underground of the mountain) or make a ā€˜corrupted/deadā€™ part on the world like the Dead scar in WoW (this would imo also make a great transition between the desert and jungle biome)

1 Like

I love all of the suggestions. Thus, that is why I am wondering why we canā€™t just try to involve all ideas as this world needs obviously more than one large city. In particular, we could have teams to construct city concepts which have a large percentage of votes in areas of the world which the city would be most suitable such as the desert for dwarven style. After this, we could then decide which of these large cities should be capital. However, once more updates are available such as guilds, we could try to implement a system for this world where a guild can work there way to have entitlement to a city and then battle or use democracy to gain rule. Therefore, the capital will be the which ever city is home to that guild. Also, we could have small guilds in cities such as mercenaries as well. I believe this will add a lot more participation of the users of Oort because it could be interesting on the styles and strategies used. However, this is my idea and it is understandable if you disagree with this idea due to many reasons such as complexity.

Hereā€™s a thought, we go for the district sort of plan, but as we go from one district to the other the building style will change in accordance to the theme of the district. Therefore, the mining district will have a dwarven feel, trade district could have a Mediterranean/Phoenician/roman theme, Agricultural district maybe a more elven ring to it, and Iā€™m not sure what other districts weā€™ll have but they should be different as well.

Also, I think itā€™s important to have a cultural district where players from around the Oortiverse can gather, host festivals, incorporate a place where they can build their own player housing, and of course the center will consist of a museum where Oort lore will be for display! <- this district could be a mirage of themes inspired by Oort members.

I think itā€™s also important that each district has a sort of landmark that separates itself from the other districts. That being said, agriculture could have a giant windmill, mining can be based around the mountain (the mountain will be the landmark), trade maybe a giant trading hub/open market (idk), mage quarter maybe a spiral tower that leads to a floating Oort shard etc.

One last thing! The roads could be inspired by Rome and they could be stone/marble. However thatā€™s more for the main road system, each districtā€™s roadā€™s will change in accordance to the theme. Ugh well thatā€™s all I can think of hope some of this can be heard! Canā€™t wait for a general consensus! :smile:

I like what Iā€™m seeing,but I still think modern would be a cool and not really seen before,is way to go. Everyone who is going to the city will expect it to be all fantasy. But if we go a little modern,it would be awesome to the player who come. And we donā€™t have to get super modern,as I suggested earlier, a modern Greek-Roman thing. A lot if white pillars,but still the blocky and square you see in a modern day house.

Ok so Iā€™ve been called in to work a few hours early so Iā€™ll quickly compile a few ideas and suggestions that I personally like best.

@Vastar A block depot is indeed a must have to insure coordinated block colors and types. I also like idea of roughed up parts of the city such as the Dead Scar or slums. That adds history/lore to the city.

@kurokuma Aqueducts were an original concept from the previous thread back when the world was looking even more desert like, though with the inclusion of rivers in the jungle biome, Iā€™d like to ask the community if we should a) fill in the rivers and bring aqueducts down from the mountain, or b) expand upon the rivers with a canal system or c) maintain the natural look of the rivers and simply build around them. My personal feelings are for option a.

@Nyuudles That overview picture of Haven is particularly useful, as it shows a good example of how districts can blend seamlessly into a coherent city. (Iā€™ve never played this game, so I may be misinterpreting) In center, it appears to have a sort of palace district, on the right you have what looks to be a massive stadium, good for an entertainment district. Outside the wall to the right looks to be a farm of some sort, there is a clear shipyard sort of district, slums, etc. I also really like that wall design though itā€™s a bit square and rigid.

My personal thoughts are to make the area around the player spawn in point as visually stunning as possible. Iā€™d like to see grandiose tall builds surrounding the player with high arches, fantastical towers and glowing gleam all around. Iā€™d like to see light colored builds like whites or tans accented with bold red, green, or blue highlights of color from imported plant life, gleam or colorful timbers.

I also feel like an appropriate difference from the typical capital city concept is to have in stead of a royal palace or presidential manner that celebrates a single ruler or master, the heart of the city should be a massive senate building or guild embassy that can represent the vast diversity of the people working on this project.

Thirdly, I feel like this city should be arranged in a way that it acts as a hub for players. It needs to have clearly defined and functional feature such as a trade district, a portal room, pvp arenas, and quest hub. Iā€™d like to see a city that allows a player who just teleported into the city to easily access all of these areas so that they do not immediately become lost. It needs to be apparent to a new player, whoā€™s never seen the city before, which direction to go to begin their adventure. The most important feature above all else is functionality. All the fancy designs and builds are otherwise just eye candy.

4 Likes

Itā€™d be neat to incorporate that into the build. Maybe we store those in a vault/bank?

2 Likes

I also hope that this city can have multiple portals (to different worlds), given its hub status

What are the restrictions there? (Cc @james ) Mininum distance between portals?

Itā€™d be neat to have a portal per district, as a way of encouraging players to explore the city

1 Like

to me Oort is not a modern game it is a Fantasy RPG

1 Like

okay now for my input, i am thinking.

1. WE should cross level build, by that i mena go with the terrain, donā€™t remove hills because its in the way but build with the hill, adapt to the terrain.

2. materials, use local materials that belong to that world, they look much better when mixed in with the terrain.

3.Fantasy/Medival type build styles with different classes. you get the lowerclass wooden homes, the middleclass wood and stone, and then the higherclass Granite and Stone

2 Likes

I rather like how somebody described it at one point, he said ā€˜ā€˜Oort online is more like steampunk. without the steamā€¦ and the punkā€™ā€™

5 Likes

But i am also pretty split on it, i see oort as a fantasy/magic game, and i am kinda against it being industrial with electricity and stuff, however what describes oort for me would be a sort of alternative industrial age, so we might have things that reminds us of the industrial steampunk age, but instead of steam and electricity it would be powered by magic, to add a sort of fantasy element to it.

but trust me, this have been a big discussion on both forums, it comes up mostly when we discuss weapons cause guns are always discussed, which some are for but some think they dont fit.

sorry, slightly off topic. i might be biased but i still do prefer the district idea i came up with, i love the idea of different races doing things in different ways, a good example is classic RPG where dwarves are craftsmen and smiths who use technology and blacksmithing while the elves are generally more magic driven and more elegant, i would like to see the citadel have a square representing each race and their general lore in the building style, although i know that is hard as hell since we dont know any of the lore XD

2 Likes

Good thoughts here. Itā€™s also much less labor intensive to build with the terrain rather than level hills and such. We will have to clear a great many trees though, and it would make sense to use those colors in our builds. I also like the concept of going with sets of building materials to reflect the wealth and class of the district it resides in.

To me, the rawness of the building materials in oort best lend themselves to midevil or feudal builds. Nothing in oort is more refined than massive stone bricks or rough timber or polished sandstone. The only exception is maybe gleam.

Also, since the oortiverse is described as lacking magic, but also having vastly advanced but unknowable tech, I think a sort of curious ā€œtinkererā€™s districtā€ could be fun to build.

I know,I meant it was made it modern time.

Thatā€™s exactly how I fell.

How about this,we just build a city. Doesnā€™t have to be a special style or time,just build a city. I think the people who are artist in this thred should draw what weā€™ve talk about so far and show us. We edit it a little here and there. Then weā€™ll have a poll. The city the wins,wins

1 Like

Dont think its that easy, the point is to have a big city that people can meet up in, if you just have random buildings everywhere its not as much a city as it is a collection of buildings, a certain set of rules would need to be set in place, both for building so people build in somewhat same style, but also to prevent people from correcting other peoples buildings because they dont think they are ā€˜ā€˜correct enoughā€™ā€™

i think the idea with this city is great but i think it will end in disaster unless there are very strict rules in place, the biggest of all being ā€˜ā€˜Dont be a jerk about other peoples buildings, and dont touch them, even if its just to make it look a bit betterā€™ā€™

which means dont be distasteful or go around saying stuff like ā€˜ā€˜this person shouldnt be allowed to buildā€™ā€™ or ā€˜ā€˜this building is so ugly and poorly madeā€™ā€™

2 Likes