[Closed] Universal capital city discussion

“Ask them, first”

1 Like

I love this idea!

I can see the city being one of those future fantasy builds were you have a something like a castle but then trim it with gleam to make it glow.

1 Like

as an extension of above, i hate calling out people, but just an example of what i meant before. please. dont let this happen again

1 Like

I see what your saying and I agree,but everyone has such different ideas. How are we going to pick what city to do without a bunch of polls?

find 5 building styles you like, split the town into 5 pieces with a center they all connect to, let people build in the style they find most comfortable (not necessarily 5 pieces, but something along those lines)

See,I think modern would be a great choice for the city. Everyone done and seen fantasy,and medieval. No one has done a modern city. And the city it’s going to be a human city with buildings everywhere. It’s a Oort city

At the moment there are no restrictions. But for now I would encourage us to not put them too close to each other. Try spacing them out a little until we can finish all the LOD systems associated with multiple portals.

2 Likes

Not true, Humans doesnt exist in this universe, faulty logic.

but that would be the clever thing, say 1 part of the city is really slick with nice elegant buildings, call it the rich quarters, then you can build ‘‘mordern buildings’’ while in another part there might be a dirty semi industrial part where the smiths lives and maybe a floating mystical part which is filled with ways to use the ancient oort tech.

Not human. Whatever races there will be, they’re going to be influenced pretty heavily by the Oort

This will probably work best if there is some underlying theme that ties all the styles together (maybe the roads/infrastructure follow a consistent theme)

server load concerns as well? (we connect to a server within some range of a portal too, right?)

Yeah no doubt, i think there should be roads that stay the same, again anybody who have played wow and seen stormwind knows what i am talking about.

there should be some sort of center, it would be great if that is where the portals are, so you enter the city and then people can go to the different districts they have bussiness in, and then in the center the most basic things or the fanciest shops or such.

my big dream is getting something done to look and work like Log Horizon and that will inspire the devs to make more focus on crafting (professions) and RPG elements.

2 Likes

Nope. Main concern is the rendering and memory overhead for players. Loading all the world data and rendering the portal is quite expensive. We have quite a few optimisations planned that should make this much more efficient. Likewise we don’t currently really adapt the LOD system well through the portals. For example, we don’t even “turn off” additional portals. We’ve just not spent enough time on them.

1 Like

Sorry it was a typo,I meant isn’t going to be.

2 Likes

How about making a caved in hole and place a portal there, then 10 blocks further away there is another portal, that too close? cause i want to make a portal house when the game gets further along.

The LOD system should deal with any number correctly. You’ll not be able to look through all of them at once - but there should be no problem with having them together. If there are many portals in an area, the game should be able to determine the most important and load / render these.

We definitely want to make sure people can have portal chambers and corridors, linking many areas together.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bother the dev team with things like that when ultimately the question should be what does the community think we should go with.

An example, imagine the torches are 1 portal for each hole

this would work?

That’s good news that is sure to have an impact on how we design the portal hub :smile:

The punk is actuallly a part of it as the punk part is just a bit from cyberpunk with is the genre all the altered-technological-evolution genres spring from. Like gear-punk and bio-punk. :slight_smile:

Sorry that was off topic my inner nerd could not allow that misunderstanding to live

It would work - but it’s unlikely all the portals would render at once - simply because of the limits of your machine. Options are: 1. Only rendering the most central / closest portals (up to the limit of your hardware), or 2. allow players to activate / enable the portals which would then spring into life.

1 Like