Confusion

I’ve spent some (a lot) of time browsing through all of the content on this forum, trying to get a good idea about how this game is conceptualized and what path it may go down. Unfortunately for me, even with having conversations with other members of the community, nothing makes sense.

There’s absolutely no cohesive theme, apart from the artwork, and from a design standpoint that’s really what’s important at this stage of the game. But, when designing a game, which I have never done, the first step is getting the idea down. The first step towards anything is deciding what direction to go and putting your foot out there. I mean, I have read so much, and I see that the first sentence of a novel that has not yet been published, however the community suggestions throw wild curves in any baseline understanding of what is going on.

From what I have gathered, this is a game of unexplained science and not magic and mysticism. There’s stuff to suggest this in pretty much everything we have done, however, there are posts regarding magic and elemental affixes. I’m fine with that sort of light magic thing, like “fire elemental” weapons, or whatever, but what exactly is “corruption”? I don’t really have any issue with this sort of play on elemental strengths and weaknesses, because so many other games that are almost exclusively sci-fi have them incorporated in a way that isn’t intrusively magical. I.E. Borderlands. However, I don’t fully understand how there are potions, elixirs or “buffs” in general.

Anything apart from healing, increased stamina, or a general damage resistance is reaching. How can I eat a pie – which is made of base materials – and somehow become floaty? Or prevent damage / wear on my tools or weapons? I have thought about these things a bit and can’t really justify the way that berries / flour / staple ingredients unlock this added potential. Then I thought about the Oortian. Maybe they have some modifications in their bodies that allow for certain protein or sugar combinations activate specific metabolic responses. But the way that the glucomine and dextrose internal reactions occur normally during cellular respiration there wouldn’t be any isomers that would allow for that. Adosine Triphosphate pretty much only allows for increased energy / stamina / or oxygen delivery. But how exactly could something that is eaten create these effects? Scientifically it’s impossible. Or, giving the benefit of the doubt, it’s REALLY improbable. Maybe there’s a solution in the form of a more serious exploration in gene therapy or even the basic ingredients used for cooking.

If you account for marine life, which would be an awesome addition to the game, the lobster offers an interesting regenerative quality through the pentose phosphate pathway. This will, essentially provide a boost into regeneration of skeletal muscle groups when activated, and for the most part, it comes from marine life and plant matter. So, maybe, within the lore of Oortians, there is extensive gene therapy and an ability that we have yet to understand that allows for adaptation of metabolic pathways through ingestion. Essentially they become what they eat.

Baring any sort of drugs, pharmacology, the Oortian would have to have a looser genetic structure that would allow for drastic and temporary changes to the body at a cellular level, creating an essentially new organism based off of the available food source. That poses so many more interesting questions, but we won’t get into that just yet. Instead, now, we will talk about how essentially every race in this game is a variation of some type of furry.

Cat girls, pup boys, and bird hybrids, oh my! They’re abound! I guess it makes sense, tied into the previously stated logic that I presented before, that there could be permanent mutations based off of their diet and metabolic rates. If all the organisms labeled as Oortians are essentially a batch of mutagenic and genetically malleable clay, then the blank would just be a bland bipedal that would undergo changes throughout its life cycle. I suppose that I can concede the concept of “skill points” in this regard, as they may have some way of altering their makeup willingly, or with some kind of aid, but let’s stick to their aesthetics for the time being.

If, let’s say, a blank (the term I will use to describe a Oortling) comes to landfall in an area that has a great deal of water fowl as a primary food source, maybe they would take on a more avian appearance. But what then of their biological restrictions that come with the integration of a beak, or any other internal organs that may spring up in the course of their development. Most birds cannot chew, and because of the lack of mastication, they have to swallow stones to crush their food and aid in digestion. Another thing is that birds are mainly warm-blooded, but their hollow bones provide very little aid in a homeostatic temperature regulation. Even flightless birds still share the traits of their airborne counterparts.

So where does the mutation stop? Where is there a limit to how far an Oortian’s genetic code can modify itself to adapt? Why is it that they all look like they are in fursuits of some kind, and there aren’t many that could have arisen from other methods similar to human development? In the original illustration of character races, there are what appears to be elemental creatures (see number 6). There are also creatures that have insect like properties and even some plant-like characteristics, but further down the rabbit hole there are amalgamations of several different properties, creating a bird / plant / bug thing (13). Am I to believe that these aren’t races at all but just some displayed effects of their diet? Do these effects have some advantageous abilities associated with the new structures created? Can the shark-man (1) filter oxygen from water? Because if it can, does it have two separate respiratory systems like from the Shape of Water?

To be honest, I can’t put my finger on any one answer to the questions that come up when I’m thinking about these things. Every time I think I have a grasp on how simple facts, looked at as givens in the scientific community, interact with this universe I lose track of any actual feasible possibility that this not birthed from straight fantasy. Everything seems to be discordant and partial. Fragments of momentary ideas that are somehow forced together. But one thing is certain, if I didn’t have the artistic group of developers giving me some continuity, I would have given up entirely on this pursuit, and I would relegate this game to that of a child’s imagination rather than a work of serious thought.

Now, since most of my posts go without comment, for whatever reason, I open this discussion to you all. Maybe you, my fellow Oortians, can help my beleaguered mind rest a bit in the intervals between content.

6 Likes

Honestly, I really love how well thought out this post is, and I can see some of it being important in the future once the lore of the world is more set in stone. I’d really like to hear some developer feedback on this.

3 Likes

Volume, my friend, volume.

To be fair,oortians used to be squarish or rectangular blobs not too long ago, so evolution is a thing…

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, no doubt that it is, and progress is too. Trust me, I have been reading everything, and I mean that. I have been going back to the original updates for Oort Online. This game’s capacity to change and evolve gives me a lot of hope for the future, and if I can do anything to help aid that in a positive way, I will do it. Even if it means questioning everything, maybe someone will be willing to give answers. Or even, maybe, just maybe, I can provoke thought in areas that were previously unnoticed. It’s how my mind works, and sadly, I can’t just turn it off. Also, I may or may not be compiling a document that is very similar to lore, so watch out.

1 Like

it’s SO much text, I’m WAY too lazy to read that

Strange. Well, I guess my target audience would prefer simplier topics like @JerkyEvergreen mentioned before.

TL:DR

We need a black block.

1 Like

can we have an actual TL:DR? :joy:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I haven’t read it all. Yet. As for the food effects: floaty could be more in line with leg muscle enhancement (same for fall damage), less damage from attacks could be, from an elemental capacity, a chemical balance in the system such as being a better conductor to that element, tool durability would just be a short term improvement on how you handle the tool resulting in less damage during the usage (like ruining the tip on a screwdriver by not properly inserting it into the screw head with the right amount of pressure).

Creature origins. How they became to be and how they chose their body formations. I think I’m going to have to stop posting my streams of consciousness.

2 Likes

So, you’re saying that the durability food boosts their intelligence and their cognition to improve their ability to use primitive tools to perform rudimentary manual tasks?

In a sense, yes. Consider the hammer we have. It is square with rounded edges. With the current skill system, once you have the proper mastery you instantly know how to use that type of material effectively. That does not mean you have greater skills in the task. The food simply boost your ability to swing the hammer so that it hits flat on the rock rather than on the edge of the hammer.

Shearing force is what is used to break hard objects. That’s why pickaxes were invented. Not to debate semantics, but it would be more effective to apply torque and break weaker chemical bonds. But I don’t understand how a food can provide the effect of preexisting knowledge. It would be similar to me eating a cookie and recalling a method that Rembrandt used while painting with no prior knowledge of the subject. I’m not advocating getting rid of any of the foods or buffs, I’m trying to understand the idea behind them, and I do appreciate your input on the matter as it gives me possible avenues of reasoning I had not yet thought about.

1 Like

Think along the lines of caffeine, or other short term drugs. The ability to remove small/micro tremors and steady the hands. Improved reaction times. If my understanding of the food is correct, then the food improves the durability not the speed/force at which you break the block.

1 Like

Exactly. The durability. Unless there’s some sort of secretion that goes over whatever you have in your hands, acting like a temporary buffer, it doesn’t make sense that the tool becomes tougher. The material properties must change, and removing any type of chemical alteration to the tool, which should be applied to the tool itself, that seems highly unlikely. Caffeine, although naturally occurring, falls under the scope of pharmaceuticals and not something that we have experienced in the game. Anything that prevents a particular ailment such as micro tremors works off the principle of oxygenation and not the actual stimulative effect. That’s a byproduct of the process. Either way, we are ingesting the foods removing digestion times, instantly gaining some seemingly magical effect on the Oortian body. I operate on what I know, and that is science.

Then I am gonna just go with “Hungry? Grab a Snickers!” Eating that food takes out the inner hulk that wants to swing a tool around like a wild child wasting durability.

Besides, if I remember right, we are not Oortians. They came before us. I don’t think we have a name.

2 Likes

Well even if we aren’t Oortians, we came before the launch, (before the world was created fully) so, we are the ancestors. I would call us Oortians as a honorific term. Like Senpai.

4 Likes

Don’t stop. More people than ever these days are too lazy to read more than a paragraph. Keep being you. :wink:

3 Likes

Well, maybe because Boundless is a work of sole fiction & fantasy?

I think best practice is to accept that Boundless is a game, not a simulation and throw any means of logic overboard.
Best example are the ‘infinite’ darts in the Slingbow. A design choice without any regard for realism, made solely to enhance the gameplay experience.

I can accept that this is a work made of fiction and fantasy, and that this is just a game. The difference that I find is that I hope that this becomes MORE than a game for me, and other people. That it truly lives up to it’s name and becomes “Boundless”.

1 Like