Cooperation between portal networks

Thank you very much <3

I think it would be great if more networks use the compass hub design or something similar for their 1x2 hubs :slight_smile: But I believe many hub managers don’t want to do it that way. Compass Hubs don’t have self-serve portal tokens, in order to make sure everything is organized. So it is more work.

If someone wants to make their own, you can make a compass hub of your own and link it to the local TNT and PS outpost.

3 Likes

Lantern Gardens / TNT Raxxa is set up as a compass style hub and I really like it.

3 Likes

Yep, very convenient when trying to find a shop through the knowledge tab. Pretty much directs you to the shop or somewhere near enough to grapple swing there.

2 Likes

The thing here is that the T1-T3 portals in the TNT planetary hub are, for most of them, not fueled by TNT. They are fueled by the people that own the plots on the other planet. And so often they will put the TNT portal in their hub and they don’t have to put tons of portals to around the planet.

For example, I have the Alder portal to TNT. Although you don’t come out facing portals to other planets, I do have portals that will go to other planets as well as to other places on Alder.

You can’t really force anyone to add portals to places if they don’t want to.

TNT did try to implement what they called the minihub, but they since reclaimed it because, I assume, no one showed interest in opening portals in there.

One thing we did on Alder is we set up a bunch of shop stands with location tokens to the different shops we could find/knew about on Alder. I think that might be helpful too for the players.

I don’t think there is a perfect system. Compass hubs are great as long as the shop keepers want to open and maintain portals to that place, but that is not always the case.

8 Likes

I understand people would want to open portals to other more active planetary hubs. The only problem is unless you’re a regular to that shop and know a good way there, the first thing you do to find that shop would be to get on that planet, and then find your way there, which turns out to be a problem cause that shop is either connected to a hub on a different network(compass, PS ect) or to a hub that’s on a different planet, and your option now is to walk 2km to it following the waypoint, or run randomly through the portals available hoping you get somewhere close enough that you don’t mind walking/swimming there.

What my point was, it would be much easier to navigate if the networks worked together more so it makes that less of an issue.

1 Like

You kind of have to know where the shops are.

Odds are the Kada shop was at pathfinders mall. It’s the Kada portal at dkmall (tnt tana)

It’s not an ideal system.

Suggestion: named portals and “closest portals” list in shop scanner

3 Likes

Found that out soon enough, tho I think there was one case where i had to give up finidng the shop cause it wasn’t at the PFS mall either.

But yes, naming the shop beacon so it tells you how to get there is a very good thing to do

3 Likes

I live on Houches so having all networks is necessary lol

5 Likes

I live on finata and I have linked all the important networks to our hub. From there you get everywhere but I see the point most of the people don’t do that and they choose one as their main hub but someone said that right here. They all have their opportunities and to be well connected you need them all. I did the same today to my sovereign.
It’s also a appreciation for the hard work they put into all these hubs

1 Like

It is highly dependent on the planet. :wink: had the mini hub/compass hub up and running on lamblis. Self serve and simple explanation of how it worked.
It looked even amazing (if i may be so bold). But the fact was (and technically still is) some hubs existed before we all got the idea for mini/compass hub. This ment for most completely redesigning the hub, separate the mini/compass hub and or moving and starting the hub build over, as there in most cases just wasn’t enough space.

That said i made a portal connection to the mini hub and kept it up and running for quite some time even added other on-world connections to that hub so it wasn’t completely useless. The only thing that happend was my oort cost went up for all that time and no one opened one portal in that hub. As i am writing this the main hub currently has 2active portals and about 20 1x2 available to take. And that has been so for the better part of 8 months now.

1 Like

To add if im honest you can’t expect a network to add additional connections. Simply because you don’t know what their load already is and with how many they are.

I was alone and had an oort cost of give or take 6-7k shards per week and had to buy it all as I didn’t hunt.
[could be even more just don’t know]

1 Like

For those that link to multiple hubs, it’s great that they do that, but i’m not saying people have to do that, it’s fine they only link to one. Rather, that’s the whole point of the hubs, so that there’s place ppl can connect their portals to be connected with the entire network, and be a place where people can go to find portals that lead somewhere. My point is that going between these hubs become a problem just because they’re on a different network means you need to hop through much more portals to move between them.

Imagine there’s a newbie that’s looking to get to a place, but he can’t and calls out for help. You decide to help, but to do so, now you need to figure out which network you need to use to get to where he is, then tell him he has to back out to a different planet to go to a different hub, go to the other network’s hub on that planet, then move from there to the other hub on the planet we started on, cause the place he’s looking to go to is connected to a different network, and there’s no direct route from this network to that place nor to that network’s hub. Pretty sure we can all agree this is starting to look stupid.

Honestly, it would be a lot more easier to navigate if most the hubs on the same planet were connected with each other. It’s as simple as that really.

At first the networks were pretty scattered, and some centers of population gathered around them. Then there was a period where they seemed to consolidate somewhat into new, active centers of population.

IMO it was better when they were spread out giving you access to several different places on a planet regardless of how good planetary connections are. Right now it seems like more of a mix that’s grown depending who’s willing/able to run portals.

1 Like

Some good questions and feedback… hope some networks owners can answer To your questions @Hashmalash @Vansten @Envyv77 Maybe you should read

The TNT Gyosha Hub has one too but no one uses it. @Ratchel

1 Like

Someone actually opened a sovereign planet on it.

2 Likes

… all I have to say is that

@Kokuma

Firstly Thank you for your valued input, it is always useful to hear about what people like/dislike about the TNT network.
I too have shared similar frustrations, and so I believe sharing some history might provide context on why the megahub is the way it is and also why the network is the way it is.

When the megahub was built there was not a ground floor there were no planet hosts, nor planet portals. What is now the upper 2 tiers was all there was and it was simply a portal hub which happened to be able to connect to every T1 to T4 in the universe.

The planet portals were actually the last thing we added, hence why the top two levels are somewhat disorganised. In theory it would be great to have some organisation, in practice its not effective due to the high turnover of portals, constant resizing. We have been always discussing ways to improve those levels and maybe one day we will manage to organise in some way.

The mall section on the ground floor was actually my first attempt to bring some order to the hub, and it was well received, the Sov wall the final addition was also another attempt to organise.

We have always maintained direct links to other networks, both PS and Ultima in the middle of our ground floor, and we have a dedicated section for other hubs on the ground floor.

We have never felt any sense of competition as our hub was built differently to others, it was simply a different not necessarily better or worse solution to what existed already. Our aim was less jumps.

To touch on the larger issue at hand, finding shops I believe we all encounter this issue. As @DKPuncherello quite rightly pointed out in many cases the planet will likely give an indication of where the shop might be, and it seems more people are naming their beacons with some directions or location information.

TNT did set about on a project to solve this issue which were our Minihubs, the idea is very much as you described we allowed for a fixed number of portals between varying distances from the hub. We encountered a few issues on this project.

1. It is a lot more to manage
  2. Some hubs never saw one portal open
  3. We had actual competition in the form of the Compass hubs, we did attempt to reach out inorder to work together but it did not work, and we recognised that @Alwin had built a very robust system and had the time to actively seek out and speak to people to get them connected, and so in the spirit of community we decided to no longer continue rolling out our hubs as with a small player base there was no need to compete. If ever he asks for our support to increase his visibility we will gladly assist despite our differences.

We did once upon time discuss deeper collaborations with the other major networks, and it never really materialised, so the effort was made and in the end the result was we gave prime placement portals in the ground floor, and in return we were given prime placed portals on the other side.

Our network simply wouldnt have come to fruition without our gracious planet hosts they helped us achieve the dream by funding a portal each, in some cases multiple planets. That being said it was always asked that there would be personal portals nearby, and so thank you for pointing out that some do not have any. We will address this directly with our hosts.
As @PrincessMaude quite rightly pointed out as one of our hosts, we never wanted to dictate to people on how and where to put things in 90% of the cases the cities already existed. For newer ones we always do ask for personal portal within reach of the monolith.

Finally one key thing to remember is that many of the out of the way shops on the lower tier planets simply dont have the oort, or the desire to connect into a network.

In closing I hope I addressed your comments, and I hope one day we finally find a way to make finding a shop a little easier even if it has to be via an external resource like boundless trade use to provide.

As always a huge thank you to all of our planet hosts, Stay Boundless.

15 Likes

Out of curiosity, do you happen to remember the name/part of the name of the shop you were looking for on Kada I, @Kokuma?

2 Likes

I agree that more switch-points between networks would really be great. I mean more worlds where portal hubs connect between each other or are located close.

I am glad that PS has moved to Ashenvale on Lutrion and is now located close to Ultima hub there. That means PS and Ultima users travelling AU worlds can switch between the two networks on Lutrion very easily.

One small step towards a better world :sunglasses: :wink: :grin:

1 Like