Cooperation between portal networks

First off, before I start off, I’d like to thank all those out there that set up portal networks that made travel more convenient for everyone.

Now, this all comes from my experience from running through portals looking for a place or a shop. People’s views/experience can differ as they have different amounts of playtime to get used to the networks and/or the place they’re located in has different accessibilities by the multiple networks we have.

So, I know there’s some competition between the network owners since, well, in a sense, as a owner of the network you want more people to use yours. I get that. But, also as a person using the networks, I find myself thinking it would’ve been much more easier to find places and navigate if they were much better interconnected, instead of having to go through a number of vaguely named player portals to get to a different network, as not all player portals are connected with multiple networks. A pain in the ass when you’re looking for a shop that turns out to be only connected to one network that you have to go through a number of portals to find.

This would also help making the networks more whole in a structure point of view. For example, I’ll talk about the main networks I’ve been using to get around.

First off, the TNT network. Everything connects to the TNT Megahub, it connects to all the permanent planets, it’s easy to use, great. IF you know where to look. Sov planets on two sides on the lower floor. Good, easy to find. Malls and hubs on the other two walls. Alright. Portals to each planet in the inner ring. Nice. Random player portals on the upper floors that lead everywhere. Uhh… Okay? It’s not a bad thing. But most the times I find i only start using those portals After I spend from half an hour up to multiple hours trying to find a place, then after getting there, I find there’s a direct portal here, under a vaguely named sign. Sure, it’s a personal portal, so people can name them whatever they want. But Because the portals there lead everywhere and anywhere, it ends up harder to go somewhere finding a portal from the numerous random portals up there. And yes, i’ve looked through the sign names before I started my hours long trip through a different route.

Another problem is the half the times the planet portals in the middle don’t really help you. Sure, it drops you off at that planet. Where does it drop me off? I don’t know, it can be a portal hub of sorts, or it can be some really random place that doesn’t even have much portals to somewhere on that planet… or It can have 0 portals at all!
Take a look at this portal for example.

Look familiar? This is where you end up if you go through the portal marked ‘Antar VI’. Half the portals there lead to a place… on a different planet. Not helpful when usually the reason you use those portals with planet names is to get to the planet so you can find a loctation on that planet. The other half are player portals, which leads to limited places. So to find something on this planet, more than likely I’ll either have to go blindly running through those player portals hoping I can get to my destination indirectly by finding a portal to a different network, or at least close enough so that I can grapple swing to wherever my waypoint leads.
Another portal with this problem would be Gellis, as it drops you off the block museum, with not much portal options.

Or you can also end up here…

Welcome to Kada I, where you are greeted by a portal to Gyosha mall, which is located on… surprise! Gyosha Ophin. Alternatively, you can go through the 4 other portals here, that either leads you to one of the three ash, sand or silt/clay farm, or to somewhere on Sorissi. You want to go somewhere on this planet other than the three farms? How about this nice slide here?

That’s it. Literally it. You can’t get out of this area. Like why is this portal even there then? Just so it drops you off at Kada I and say ‘I’ve done my job bringing you to this planet, now go walk at a snail’s pace to wherever you’re looking to go’? Portals like these lead me to looking for other networks like…

Portal Seekers network hubs, or the Guardian’s compass hubs.
Now, these are more ‘planetary friendly’. They have more connections to locations on that planet. I guess it helps that you only need a 1x2 portal to connect since there’s a hub on that planet, and for those that don’t participate in hunts often, keeping a large/multiple portals can be a major burden, making the option to connect to either of these more favorable.

“why don’t you just use them in the first place then?”
Well, there’s the problem of them being harder to get to, especially if you’re on a different planet. Like I said, literally everywhere is linked to TNT megahub, it’s easy to find your way back there if you get lost.
PS hubs, you have to go through player portals and make your way along the chain of portals to get the the hub on the planet you’re looking to get to. Compass hubs, while VERY convenient at finding places since it literally tells you the direction and distance of the portal exit, you pretty much have to find it by going through player portals on that planet, or hope the TNT planetary portals drop you off at one.

Which is why I’m saying I hope for a more ‘cooperative’ network. Imagine going through the planetary portal at the megahub, and it drops you off at a PS planetary hub, where there’s portals leading to places on that planet, or a portal to the planet’s compass hub if you can’t find the portal you’re looking for, so you can go after the waypoint with direction/distance portals. People wouldn’t have to worry about getting isolated as simply connecting to the planetary PS hub will still mean you get connected to the entire network, and those that want a more direct access can open portals at the megahub.

“what about other networks, like Ultima, or Eden’s?”
This doesn’t have to be limited to TNT or PS, rather it would make things even better if all the networks are connected to each other. I only didn’t mention the other networks cause I don’t have much experience with them, cause running through random portals looking for shops I’m trying to get to rarely made me go through those networks.

Again, I know there’s competition between the networks, but I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on this, or any idea that might make navigating easier. Who knows, we may get even more awesome networks in the future.

7 Likes

Some planets just don’t have anywhere to go once you get there. After you reach “endgame” there is little reason to visit a low level planet if it isn’t your home unless you want a certain color of mud or something. So essentially the role of portals is to lead you to other portals :joy:

1 Like

exactly. what I expect with the planetary portals in the TNT hub is that.
but as you can see, some portals to planets like Gellis and Kada I doesn’t even do that. Would’ve been better if it led to the PS hub on that planet

1 Like

Also, the reason I went to those planets is to buy from a shop there, so clearly somebody lives there, probably they’ll want to be connected to a portal network if they have a shop up…

1 Like

I think different networks are good for different things. TNT tends to be good at getting you to a planet, probably in an existing build or city, sometimes with portals.

PS is good if you want to harvest common materials, or if you want to check out local portals.

Having different networks with different ideas and different hubs is critical. Imagine if PS had gone down last month, but TNT was relying on them for their hubs.

At most, I think the different hubs should try to link their hubs together more, rather than having to go through a mall to hop networks.

3 Likes

That’s my whole point. TNT is easier to navigate to a specific planet, but the PS hubs are easier to navigate around that planet, which is why I’m saying I’d like to see more easier ways to switch between different hubs.

Thank you very much <3

I think it would be great if more networks use the compass hub design or something similar for their 1x2 hubs :slight_smile: But I believe many hub managers don’t want to do it that way. Compass Hubs don’t have self-serve portal tokens, in order to make sure everything is organized. So it is more work.

If someone wants to make their own, you can make a compass hub of your own and link it to the local TNT and PS outpost.

3 Likes

Lantern Gardens / TNT Raxxa is set up as a compass style hub and I really like it.

3 Likes

Yep, very convenient when trying to find a shop through the knowledge tab. Pretty much directs you to the shop or somewhere near enough to grapple swing there.

2 Likes

The thing here is that the T1-T3 portals in the TNT planetary hub are, for most of them, not fueled by TNT. They are fueled by the people that own the plots on the other planet. And so often they will put the TNT portal in their hub and they don’t have to put tons of portals to around the planet.

For example, I have the Alder portal to TNT. Although you don’t come out facing portals to other planets, I do have portals that will go to other planets as well as to other places on Alder.

You can’t really force anyone to add portals to places if they don’t want to.

TNT did try to implement what they called the minihub, but they since reclaimed it because, I assume, no one showed interest in opening portals in there.

One thing we did on Alder is we set up a bunch of shop stands with location tokens to the different shops we could find/knew about on Alder. I think that might be helpful too for the players.

I don’t think there is a perfect system. Compass hubs are great as long as the shop keepers want to open and maintain portals to that place, but that is not always the case.

8 Likes

I understand people would want to open portals to other more active planetary hubs. The only problem is unless you’re a regular to that shop and know a good way there, the first thing you do to find that shop would be to get on that planet, and then find your way there, which turns out to be a problem cause that shop is either connected to a hub on a different network(compass, PS ect) or to a hub that’s on a different planet, and your option now is to walk 2km to it following the waypoint, or run randomly through the portals available hoping you get somewhere close enough that you don’t mind walking/swimming there.

What my point was, it would be much easier to navigate if the networks worked together more so it makes that less of an issue.

1 Like

You kind of have to know where the shops are.

Odds are the Kada shop was at pathfinders mall. It’s the Kada portal at dkmall (tnt tana)

It’s not an ideal system.

Suggestion: named portals and “closest portals” list in shop scanner

3 Likes

Found that out soon enough, tho I think there was one case where i had to give up finidng the shop cause it wasn’t at the PFS mall either.

But yes, naming the shop beacon so it tells you how to get there is a very good thing to do

3 Likes

I live on Houches so having all networks is necessary lol

5 Likes

I live on finata and I have linked all the important networks to our hub. From there you get everywhere but I see the point most of the people don’t do that and they choose one as their main hub but someone said that right here. They all have their opportunities and to be well connected you need them all. I did the same today to my sovereign.
It’s also a appreciation for the hard work they put into all these hubs

1 Like

It is highly dependent on the planet. :wink: had the mini hub/compass hub up and running on lamblis. Self serve and simple explanation of how it worked.
It looked even amazing (if i may be so bold). But the fact was (and technically still is) some hubs existed before we all got the idea for mini/compass hub. This ment for most completely redesigning the hub, separate the mini/compass hub and or moving and starting the hub build over, as there in most cases just wasn’t enough space.

That said i made a portal connection to the mini hub and kept it up and running for quite some time even added other on-world connections to that hub so it wasn’t completely useless. The only thing that happend was my oort cost went up for all that time and no one opened one portal in that hub. As i am writing this the main hub currently has 2active portals and about 20 1x2 available to take. And that has been so for the better part of 8 months now.

1 Like

To add if im honest you can’t expect a network to add additional connections. Simply because you don’t know what their load already is and with how many they are.

I was alone and had an oort cost of give or take 6-7k shards per week and had to buy it all as I didn’t hunt.
[could be even more just don’t know]

1 Like

For those that link to multiple hubs, it’s great that they do that, but i’m not saying people have to do that, it’s fine they only link to one. Rather, that’s the whole point of the hubs, so that there’s place ppl can connect their portals to be connected with the entire network, and be a place where people can go to find portals that lead somewhere. My point is that going between these hubs become a problem just because they’re on a different network means you need to hop through much more portals to move between them.

Imagine there’s a newbie that’s looking to get to a place, but he can’t and calls out for help. You decide to help, but to do so, now you need to figure out which network you need to use to get to where he is, then tell him he has to back out to a different planet to go to a different hub, go to the other network’s hub on that planet, then move from there to the other hub on the planet we started on, cause the place he’s looking to go to is connected to a different network, and there’s no direct route from this network to that place nor to that network’s hub. Pretty sure we can all agree this is starting to look stupid.

Honestly, it would be a lot more easier to navigate if most the hubs on the same planet were connected with each other. It’s as simple as that really.

At first the networks were pretty scattered, and some centers of population gathered around them. Then there was a period where they seemed to consolidate somewhat into new, active centers of population.

IMO it was better when they were spread out giving you access to several different places on a planet regardless of how good planetary connections are. Right now it seems like more of a mix that’s grown depending who’s willing/able to run portals.

1 Like

Some good questions and feedback… hope some networks owners can answer To your questions @Hashmalash @Vansten @Envyv77 Maybe you should read