Craftable wings

As we know from the devs they plan to add steam jetpacks. I guess the game is going to have steam punk mechanics/features. I love steampunk but I think there should be an non-technical opportunity to grand the player the ability of flight. So I would suggest wings. There would be a large variety of craftable wings. Some of them would grand the ability to fly while some could let the player glide only. Because wings have to be made out of thin materials they aren’t very durable. Once they break you can either repair them or craft a new pair.

2 Likes

Keep an eye on the Devlog for the first character update…

7 Likes

For a Oort’s fantasy style, IMHO, wings is a greatly better than jetpack.

3 Likes

I disagree, Oort has a very steampunk kinda feel to the lore background and the concept art so a steam powered jetpack would work fine with that.
but
I also like the idea of using the momentum from the grappling hook combined with wings/glider for movement

1 Like

Well, in regard to your comment about jet packs not fitting into the game, you have to keep in mind that Oort is an unfinished game. We don’t really know what fits and doesn’t fit till all the puzzle pieces have been laid out and set into place.

1 Like

I don’t really see how jet packs wouldn’t fit this game deals with different worlds that’s like saying every culture on earth is the same.
If there is magic in the game the main question would be where does it come from and is it easy to obtain on every world also does its inhabitance find magic or whatever to have more important then science and tech.

So really can the devs make a jetpack look oortie (which shouldn’t be too hard)

Jet pack is a very sci-fi sounding bit of kit. We nearly called it something else, but in the end jet pack was the most descriptive term. Needless to say if we include it, it’s not going to look like this:

4 Likes

Im split on this, i discussed it with hiyosup at one point, because on 1 side it would simply be amazing and would look awesome as hell. allowing people to explore from the air and feel the freedom of flying, but on the other hand it would kinda render ground threats useless, if you have something cool you dont want to drop by dying you will just fly over all of the enemies.and there would be no danger.

1 Like

I like the idea of craftable wing or something similar much better than just some pack with power gems and thrusters (Which i imagine is what it would be if it was there at all)

that’s why I suggested low-durability wings. You could fly/glide but they would break pretty fast. Maybe the steam jetpacks will use some kind of fuel (steam I guess).

How about parachute? =)

1 Like

Or gliders i suddenly really want gliders :smiley:

2 Likes

i think it would be cool to have them as gliders, i loved the idea in Cubeworld, but it was easily abused and the speed was too high rendering mounts useless

I love hang gliders :smiley: I think they shouldn’t have high durability because it would be kinda op :smiley: I would like to enhance my glider though (more durability, more speed etc.)

I think wings compared to jetpacks would have different playstyles - the wings could have this up and down butterflutter effect. Jetpack would be awesome! I mean, who doesn’t like the first Ironman Ironsuit launch in the first movie :grin:

Maybe a jetpack could have sort of a danger zone in overheating or mechanical load capacity. For example if it overheats it explodes, dissolves from the back of the char and squirls away like a rocket. The result would be the possibility to fall down to the ground with a cute parachute - a paracute.

1 Like

That’s a horrible idea!!! :confounded:
Exploding jetpacks?! :scream:

instead just make it a tiered system where the wings are cheep and less durable and the jetpack is expensive and requires fuel

2 Likes

Why must the wings break, why can’t it be as simple as wings let you glide and jetpacks let you fly freely but at the cost of fuel? That seems balanced right?

3 Likes

Good idea.

Or just make wings? Why is a jetpack necessary to fly?

1 Like