Crafting needs to be addressed

I get that there are other things to do in this game but why do crafts have to take so long? What is the actual benefit to this? What is the logic behind it? The image above is 15 mass crafts of Shopping Stands that I need for my build and it’s going to take almost 45 hours to complete. Why? Nothing is more of a buzzkill in this game then when I have a really cool build idea and I go to craft things I need for it and I’m met with 45 hours of wait time…

Before anyone asks, this is with max advanced coils.

9 Likes

Another issue I’ve been noticing with crafting is that even if the machine isn’t broken, sometimes crafting just stops?

you’d be better off using 3 non-coiled machines there… Although if you have a need for 150 shop stands I’m confident you would need a few redundant machines of each type…

Solving problems is part of the fun of games for some people. Like, I enjoyed solving your problem here…

8 Likes

This is why I have at least 4 of every machine in my workshop.

4 workbenches
4 compactors
7 refineries
5 mixers
8 extractors
2 centraforges

2 Likes

That doesn’t solve any problem. The problem is them taking 3 hours each. If I split it across three machines it would still be 15 hours before I could resume enjoying the game. It’s an arbitrary and non-essential mechanic.

4 Likes

I have 10 of every machine except centraforge in my factory. 2 of each are maxed out on Adv coils. Many others have 3 - 5 adv coils each.

I would use multiple machines if you need something faster crafted, If you want something at once shopping is option. Only thing that is limiting actual game in Boundless is time, most of resources are all the time available, so in the end time is thing that makes economy in this game.

2 Likes

I typed my above comment as you were typing but I have 10 of every machine and coils spread across them with 2 of each maxed. The issue here is 3 hours for one mass craft. It’s arbitrary. It serves zero purpose other than an artificial limiter.

Riddle me this: what would be the downside of making all crafts instant?

Dont expect devs to care about it. I dont like thuos craftimes too.

It is not an artificial limiter. It has a purpose. I can understand you disagree with that purpose.

What would me a more appropriate time for this type of mass craft then?

So are you refusing to use the other machines to prove a point? It doesn’t make sense to intentionally cause more time to be taken when it isn’t needed.

I’m not intentionally avoiding the other machines to prove a point. I queued them all up in one because I had all the ingredients stored in that one and then I noticed the outrageous craft times. I’ve since split it up. The point remains that craft times should be dramatically reduced.

What is the purpose behind craft times?

As for your ask of what would be an appropriate time, let’s starts at 75% reduction across the board.

2 Likes

Like I said it effect economy positive way. There has been discussion in past that how it will encourage players having more machines with coils. Removing crafting times would probably require recipe revamp or other changes how machines work that there would certain kind of balance of economy in the game.

I still think game could have way to boost crafting time by playing some mini game with machine, but with limitation like for example player could play only one machine at time.

I have been playing in past some mmo game which had time based crafting if those items that had much more higher crafting times so my opinion is biased to have crafting times.
Able to keep expanding your crafting area bigger is like crafters end game, one reason to keep playing game.

1 Like

You could always go buy the stands you need. That eliminates the wait and rewards someone else for their patience

5 Likes

And what is that purpose other than merely a time gate? And even if it should take a few minutes to allow a crafter to change their mind before the resources get used, how does something taking 3 hours or 30 minutes really improve the game or the gaming experience?

3 Likes

Literally no one is selling the ones I need but, yes, if they were I would go buy some although I need a couple thousand of them so it’s unlikely i’d be able to even afford all I need.

I understand your frustration with long craft times but instant everything may be a bit too far. I could essentially just buy all the mats and sell with no investment. Is that fair to the gatherers? Do they get instant materials upon demand?

I see this discussion leading to creative mode. The next obvious question is: why can’t I just have the materials, this is a building game isn’t it? Having to farm materials is an artificial limit on my creativity.

Edit: corrected spelling

4 Likes

That slippery slope doesn’t really apply here. Asking for instance materials doesn’t follow from asking for reduced crafting times and, to answer your question, you do actually get gathered materials on demand. You hit the plant, you get the material. Done. With the number of planets we have and with the sheer number of farms the PS folks have set up, we have infinite, easily obtainable resources any time we want.

Why even need of machines when we could craft everything at once?

But I have to cross planets and find the resources. Assuming that you take almost all restraint out of a significant aspect of this game, why would it not apply to others aspects?

I feel the purpose behind long craft time is to create a demand and add value to making large amounts items. Im sure the dev’s figured you could offset the wait with several machines, coils, and alternate activities.

With that being said, do you really need 650 black shop stands? Obviously you do, if your making them. But jeesh.

2 Likes