Crafting Professions

i really love the witcher fighting system but I don’t think it would work in a first person view :confused: I wonder if the devs already have plans how combat will work… @ben @james

1 Like

generally brawler/combo style tends to not work well in first person, i have to admit i have rarely seen proper first person rpg games, most of the time they are in third person because it is just so much easier for the teams to work with in terms of combat.

yeah i know :confused: I didn’t play much eso (the pc of the guy i wanted to play with is too bad :c) but I used to hate the combat >_< I’m not a big fan of skyrims combat either (Although in my opinion skyrim itself gets pretty boring quickly and I don’t get all the hype at all :smiley: ). Maybe they should make 3rd person combat and first person exploring, building etc. or something like that.

The camera mode have been discussed alot. but they also stated its not quite that simple to make a camera style, so i suspect its going to be one or the other, prob first person, with small exceptions such as a self inspect ish mode. personally ESO had a skill system in terms of combat skills, added the abilty to make yourself however you want and it made sense in first person, but sadly third person will always be superior in terms of combat advantage so everybody (me included) played the combat in third which made it lose a bit of its char.

EDIT: eventually the combat system is going to be very closely tied to how enemy behavior is made, for example if they are always in packs i would assume it would involve quite a bit of AOE abilities and if they are single target but smarter and harder it would implement some kind of dodging mechanism (hopefully) the primary thing for me other than being able to make your own build is that you dont just stand still doing nothing, i love games where you have to dogde and evade enemy attacks.

Ben said that the game will have a ‘‘mild borderlands style combat’’ whatever that means XD

I think I’ll sit back and see what you guys and the devs come up with :smiley: But if the combat will be like mc i’ll stop playing immediately :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: borderlands combat?! Hell yeah let’s slay titans with some badass 300000 damage shotguns and rocket launchers! No seriously what is mild borderlands combat? xD

found the quote

NO BEN, WE DONT UNDERSTAND !!

but MC combat? not gonna happen. here is from the first survey they made

1% for minecraft combat, the combat system is most likely going to reflect this to a certain degree, in what way i have no clue.

Who the hell is the 1%? :smiley: I bet it’s Xx_itzMCsurvivalgamezpvp_xX :stuck_out_tongue:
well I’m glad it wont be like mc :smiley:

ps: you should tag @ben :smiley: He needs to explain :stuck_out_tongue:

i honestly hate the hotbar skills, cause it makes everyone the same, instead of personal ab ility to hit faster, and it should be more based around your weapon on how a fight will end, instead of just pressing 1 to use ‘Arthurs Lash’ for example, i find it very boring, and i hate it cause its a auto aim with a chance especially with range weapons. i would prefer the use of actual skill, how accurate are you instead of the attack always targetting him, in my mind i would prefer more of a skyrim system, for fighting attacks, which will have multipel combinations, standard hit, heavy hit (costs stamina) running hit, running heavy, jump hit, jump heavy etc. i have never been a fan of these click 3 to do heavy attack, there is no skill involved. apart from speed to hit a button.

1 Like

i think it would be bad for him, he have already been tagged like a million times already, also if you quote somebody they get a notification

1 Like

I think ‘Skill’ here means personal skill, WOW is the 1% where you activate a skill and the game does the rest of it for you. Whereas personal skill is like a shooter game where you have to aim, take into account gravity and wind etc etc, everything us up to you in a skill based system. Something in the middle would be the best.

Kerpie sums it up perfectly.

i always take the role of a sniper or a archer in games and this auto aim thing you get in wow, ESO, guild wars etc just defeats the purpose

are you sure you are not mistaking tab targeting combat for hotbar combat? but it definately makes alot more sense and i can understand why you wouldnt like it, what i find odd however is the fact that you use the argument

and then mention skyrim where you only had these very few attacks to do anything with, but indeed without it the game might become more twitch based but i would personally find it a bit bland in the long run :smiley:

for everybody being the same, have you seen TSW skill wheel?

TSW Ability Wheel

this is what i mean with limited amount of skills on the bar at once, you can make thousands of unique builds and i could play a different one every single time, but yeah, its a matter of opinion i think :smile:

EDIT: yeah… both of you are mistaking hotbar skills for tab target combat it seems :confused: with that i agree, tab targeting should not be a thing, but softlock might be a thing, it can get a bit tricky to do full hit detection in an mmo where there can be smalle ping problems.

1 Like

I think with “borderlandish” combat he means real targeting and no target locking like in WoW and probably only one special skill and no hotbar. At least that’s the core of the borderlands battle system.
And that sounds awesome if you ask me.

1 Like

alright so lets say that is the case, you can have a bow and all you can do is normal attack and charged attack (skyrim style) no matter how high level you get that is all combat consists of, and everybody else who uses a bow will have the excact same abilities. that sounds really not fun to me personally >.<

i can understand the appeal in it, but in an MMO where there are so many other people it would feel kinda sad (for me atleast), i played a bit of Skysaga (another voxel mmorpg) and i noticed they did just that, minecraft style click combat (which it seems is what people want for this game?)

with the skyrim one you need more thinking im my personal opinion, as in sword and shield combat you need to think about, distance, , blocking, timing etc should i block now or is it a waste cause i’m blocking a weak attack, should i dodge this? when will he attack?, in heavy weps you need to watch your stamina cause if you run out to fast your screwed, for range you need to consider the drop, the speed of the enemy running how far will you shoot in front of him, where is the best vantage point? cause height is everything.

skyrim using more timing and strategy which is more skill based (not skills you activate)

now i haven’t played the one you linked zouls, but from the looks of it it would be hard to implement where as skyrims is simple plus remember we will be swinging on grappling hooks constantly, so the little hotbar skills wouldn’t work so well.

my view of the average mmo combat is the winner is normally determined by who can use the most predefined skills that deal the most damage in the shortest amount of time there isnt realy much timing apart from waiting through the cooldown, you can attack him without really worrying about the distance either… (this is 1v1 combat im talking about not big group) and all these skills normally work for games that have the standard roles, tank, dps, healer… as you pick the best skills to fill your role.

1 Like

t also with skyrim you can kinda create your own fighting style rather than just pulling predefined skills
with these systems its also more equipment based and the battle will be determined by your equipment and your skill to use it, for example i can beat a heavily armoured noob who has hardly any skill, where as i may have alot of skill with a bow as i can use the enviroment to my advantage, and i would normally be the winner, so the battle is determined by the player not the predefined skills one has.

PS. im going to create a topic about combat… this topic is for crafting.

Hmm thats a nice way of looking at it indeed… makes it alot more clear, i can understand where you are coming from but what is progression then? flat stat increases like skyrim? does that mean when you start the game you have unlocked every single fighting style already? that is just what would worry me.

again i would like to put weight on the fact that hotbar skill combat is not the same as tab targeting i totally agree that we shouldnt have som cheap tab target combat (wow style) where you just spam all of your ablities, but saying that there is no skill and its all about pure burst is a bit of a misconception too

the beauty of a skill system is you can become who you are, its not like having skills will instantly make you wint the game, its how you use them that matters

well thats the point, you really cant, if you use a sword you can only do so much with it, if you use a bow there is only so much you can do with. i completely agree that it is more based on focused on playerskill because you have absolutely no customization over the fighting style but a skill system you have builds you can have different playstyles instead of just one, while you might not see that as playerskill (which i can understand why you wouldnt) it is because its halfly about getting a build that suits your playstyle and halfly about learning to play efficiently with that build.

by that quote i was meaning, you can decide what weapon sets you will switch between and whether you will do more stealth rather than up front swords swinging, or if youll mix? and then there is the switching weapons, use range till they get close, and then switch to swords, or daggers for even better attack speed.

im going to make a new topic for this.

Progression would be the ability to take down the bigger, harder enemies through your fight style, and the progression through the tweaking to your weapon, cause the weapon you use is the side factor to a fight.

this also would make you focus on upgrading your equipment more, better equipment for the big fights, you can spawn in and not necessarily take down everything but then that drives you to upgrade and practice your fight style, what attack combos work better for you? it is flat but it is a more immersing system in my opinion

Well private or modded servers will have to figure that out for themselves like they do with everything else. I think they will be fine as single players could do there thing and a group of friends could choose to work together or not they will also be able to change up the game rules with modding a all that too so if they want to opt out of anything or make it all creative they will probably have servers like that. I’m saying if a player wants to play solo they can however have some things to encourage them to join the rest of the players and of course the choice is up to them they dont have to do anything they dont want too.

Having something to mark your progress inst bad it helps when talking to other players and friends to let you and them know where you are in that field other then that you could do with out levels and all that.

There is a lot of different factors that play into the economy in other MMORPG

• Like you stated NPC’s normally sell basic items, but everything is
    player made on Oort. I dont think the super basic items will be super
    hard to make and thus they probably wont be in the market nor will
    they start a strong market, however, as players progress in there
    crafting professions more the need for said market will be needed and
    shops and all that should be up and ready at this time.

If the shop block was made to use the token system and had permissions it should help with shop clutter a little as well as not to endanger a town to become a ghost town.

• even if you take away EXP and levels its not going to stop players from making high end items why mostly because these items will be better and make the crafter more money that said your kind of stuck with that. There are ways to deal with it thou such as if crafting was made into the loop and stronger players started to move to higher tiers this would also mean that the crafters buyers are moving thus encouraging the higher level crafters to move to a tier in which they can sell there goods a ways to help this even more would be to make portal shards somewhat uncommon there for they have more value and making portals is a bigger deal and players arnt just using them willy nilly lol. I thought a mobile home idea would make this easier for crafters as well as other players like explores or non builders to move on to new tiers easier where they will strong PVE players could make a safe haven on the new dangerous and hostile tier. and the crafter would now be making the basic times for the new players coming to that their

If theirs something the encourages players to work on there character in there grade tier it will help the economy stay fresh and good in that tier

So like new player goes to a tier 3 world 1 they will die easier if not every 2 to 5 seconds and all the goods will be to high for them to use. maybe even have surviving a titan battle as a requirement

Because from what I notice in a lot of MMORPGs anywhere around level 10 to level 30 you go to the main town or cap and every level of player is there and of course the economy is going to favor the higher end players because they provide more money. Also encouraging a separation while not forcing it tends to make a good social aspect just because the lower end plays dont judge each other as much and can grow and all that because there all kind of newish.

1 Like