PVE combat- Discussion

I meant just similar attacks and abilities, not exactly like us. They don’t need to be humanoid but it’s an interesting idea to have enemy version of our own playable races, it would need to be obvious which is enemy rather than PC.

And I second the idea of having creatures unique to certain biomes and worlds. Certain salamanders and scorpions can handle extreme heat. Having giant Roc like birds and wyverns for mountainous areas ect. And having certain enemies which really blend into the landscape and ambush you would be epic for suspense value.

1 Like

Airborne enemies would be very cool! It would make long range weapons more important too.
I think we should definitely go for more than one type of enemy.
Off the top of my head I can think of :
Ents
Beasts
Humanoids
Zombies
Demonic/corrupt
Hostiles
Swarms / Insect

If we could include a large variety of enemy that would be great.

1 Like

Wildstar combat system.

everything… is telegraphs and aimable attacks, a game more people know would be smite which did somethat of the same thing.

but just have basic sword swings hit stuff infront of you, no freebies. they did a pretty nice system with cc like blind would narrow whaty ou could see on the screen, disarm would throw away your weapon but make you able to pick it back up, confuse would completely change your keybindings for movement, so on so forth.

that is the best skill based system you can get. aiming everything, while increasing your stats and levels with gear and weapon allows you to hurt more with your abilies, you still wont get any damage done if you cant hit,.

all of the enemies were also hard in a sense that they used the same system of making cone attacks and AOE attacks that you needed to dodge, so you always had to move around rather than just standing still and spamming.

Examples

although not on the same scale ofc since they are a small team, but the idea. this also made the boss fights hillarious cause they were just massive bullet hells xD

It’s a nice idea, but outside of screenshots it mainly results in this. CONEMAGEDDON!

i played wildstar, think i reached level 38. but i loved the dungeons even the lower levels were kinda hard to complete, it required teamwork and THINKING, that is prob what i would love to see from Oort, not just another mindless hack and slash, but constantly having to think about position.

I definitely see Oort Online combat being more like a very light version of Borderlands combat more than something like WoW or Wildstar, if that makes sense.

1 Like

with 87 bazillion… gazillion… whatever, weapons? xD

Hey ben,
Can we have superarmor/superarmor break mechanics in the combat system?

It works like this:
The higher the superarmor of your attack is, the harder it is for the enemy to cancel your attack,
And the higher the super armor break of your attack is, the easier it is for you to break attacks of enemies.

For example, an attack with 500 superarmor can be broken if the enemy attacks you with an attack that has 700 super armor break, but will not be broken if the enemy attacks you with an attack that has only 300 super armor break… however, if the enemy manages to hit twice, very rapidly, with a 300 SA break attack - it will break it because 300+300=600, which is higher than 500.

I would also love the addition of Iframes. what are iframes? iframes are short amounts of time where your character is invincible… basically a dodging skill. they need to be balanced with cooldowns obviously :slight_smile:

Also. some sort of combo/combo recovery mechanics can make pvp REALLY fun.

Here is an example of a MMORPG game that implements superarmor,iframe and combo mechanics:

that sounds awefully confusing. also this would mean that all attacks would just be insane spam attacks, wouldnt it?

It may sound confusing at first, but super armor and iframe mechanics are actually great once you learn how to use them well, and add alot of depth to combat in my opinion

The combat in that game looks frantic but brilliant.

it is. it is massively hack and slash though but wildly satisfying, im not sure how to explain it or if i am even correct, but in games like this it feels like there is a 1/4 sec timetop whenever you hit so you can feel the impact of the character. same thing with the dynasty warrior games :smiley:

For me. combat should have a nice flow, but enemies need to have skills that you have to observe and consider, not only one, but may be 2 or three. For example a melee enemy could have a charge attack (the attack begins with an sound and animation, so you know what is coming) and a roundabout strike or stunning shash … A ranged one could burrow into the ground and come out some blocks away and has a “salve shot” (that is starting like the charge of the beast above), which you can dodge, if you are fast enough. Another one could have a shield which heals the user if you don’t hit him 3 times in 3 seconds) and can slow you down with a focused and charged beam.

The enemies don’t have to be very powerful but interesting and very different compared to each other. On this way the combat never feels lame and boring like in WoW, where all the mobs are just food for your blade. I played Guild Wars 1 for a long time, where every enemy had 4-6 skills which were the same players can lern (or equivalents). On that way even “grinding” was interesting and tactical. But GW1 was a team based game (you went always in groups of 4-8 players, filled with nscs if you had not enough real people) so let them having the same amout then players would be a bit overpowered (and to much to develop :wink: )

1 Like

I loved borderlands :smile:

Thats sweet and all but I don’t really think that kind of style suits this game.

It would be cool if you could learn some attack patterns in order to fight enemies.
couple ideas:
you have to dodge a charge to attack enemies in their weak point on their back
enemies that can only be hit by a specific type of weapon (encourage parties)

to dodge to get a better spot for a hit is a good idea, but special weaknesses (next to just melee or ranged) would be not good, cuz teamplay is something you have to reward, but not at the cost of problems (or lower fun) for single players. If there are enemies who dodge ranged attacks quite good or are evil to melee chars, that would be pain enough ;D

What if you just made certain enemies weak to different types of attacks, kinda like pokemon, but with like magic, ranged and melee? You could still fight enemies that you aren’t strong against, but there would still be elements encouraging teamplay.

For example if you attack certain enemies with the type they’re weak to they take 1.5x damage, if you attack them with the type they are its just 1x damage, and if you attack them with the type they’re strong against it would deal .75x damage

2 Likes

on that way it would be a benefit for sure :wink:

I’ve never seen this game before but it looks pretty cool! I definitely like the fighter influences in the combat. I would be down with something like that lol :stuck_out_tongue:
Though I think that we have to consider the 3d terrain we’ll be fighting on, so it might not work as well.