Crafting Timers Reminder

If I had said this before, I might have received quite a bit of backlash, lol. However, the game is what it is in its current state, and perhaps it’s something for the New Player Experience (NPE). While I personally don’t have any issues with crafting timers, I’ve learned that just because it’s not a problem for me doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for someone else.

And will most likely not be changed at all for a long time.
I am sure the DEVS (whenever they get a team to start working on the game) will go through all the suggestions here on the forums after doing a whole bunch more first that has way, way higher priority.

Don’t expect any changes any time soon and it should be like all other suggestions:
Leave it here as a suggestion and wait to see if they will ever do anything with that suggestion.

No need to bump this topic and paste screenshots of crafting timers with every mass crafting you do.
Loudest voice/complainer does not mean it gets higher priority you know.

To me it is balanced. The fancier the block the longer crafting timers will be. Really hate long crafting timers ? Buy the blocks instead or make less fancy blocks.

Be patient, even if that means another 1 or 2 years of waiting (if we are that lucky they keep the game running).

There are none. Quite literally, I have bought out the universe for the blocks I need/want.

1 Like

I think the long crafting timers interrupt the flow of the game. This is particularly important for the impact it has on new players. Players who have spent hundreds of hours in the game can find ways around the issue, but for new players it is different. The entire new player experience, from level 0-50, is chock full of things that interrupt flow. Crafting timers, skill point blockers, inability to obtain materials, struggling to get coins. I think when looking at the new player experience, the devs need to take a look at the flow of the game. Maybe do a focus group test and see what frustrates players the most. I know most people focus on the first 5 minutes experience, but the entire leveling up period is crucial to hooking new players. For me, that period was extremely discordant and confusing. Some of the edges need to be hammered off.

Then accept that. Make your own blocks of go for some other block instead.

The player base is not large for months so don’t react surprised if things are not on selling plinths.

Look:
12-20-2023 15:48,Players 55,Planets: 312
12-20-2023 15:48,Players 55,Planets: 312
12-20-2023 15:50,Players 55,Planets: 312
12-20-2023 19:57,Players 56,Planets: 312
12-21-2023 01:42,Players 65,Planets: 310
12-21-2023 04:09,Players 66,Planets: 310
12-21-2023 14:50,Players 45,Planets: 310
12-24-2023 19:11,Players 44,Planets: 301
12-25-2023 18:25,Players 40,Planets: 299
12-28-2023 03:02,Players 68,Planets: 301
12-28-2023 22:16,Players 56,Planets: 299
12-29-2023 21:07,Players 65,Planets: 296
12-31-2023 21:56,Players 40,Planets: 296
01-01-2024 01:55,Players 58,Planets: 297
01-02-2024 21:54,Players 51,Planets: 299
01-02-2024 22:23,Players 50,Planets: 299

That is Playstation + PC players. 50 players at this moment.

I will keep monitoring regularly as I was surprised they are that low.

100% agree that the NPE is and should be first up for the devs. It is, quite frankly, not good. I bucket crafting timers as part of that “not good”. The moment you graduate from trunks > timber, rocks > stone and on to more complex blocks, the timers get out of hand quickly.

That said, I can admit that craft timers are not the chief problem of the NPE. I’d say the biggest NPE problem is the tutorial itself being disjointed and very slim. I know James and team did some work to put in better tutorials before they got acquired by Larian. That work should be continued and expanded immensely

1 Like

The tutorial is definitely disjointed. Requiring a brand new player to bounce around to multiple planets or even different tier planets in what appears to be intro objectives. The order the objectives come in frequently seems out of order. I think some of the objectives actually just tell you things that are not even true. There was one objective that said something about clicking on the planet capital in the settlement list and it would target it in the compass for you that I spent about 4 hours trying to figure out and as far as I know even now it doesn’t work that way.

If a game has good flow, though, you barely need a tutorial. I played a game recently called Planet Crafter that had phenomenal flow and simple tool tips and that was all you needed. The game had a lot of similar mechanics to Boundless (mining, crafting, base building, exploring) and I never felt like it needed more of a tutorial than that. When you came to a blocker you just looked around for a way to overcome it and without it telling you what to do you could figure it out. Boundless doesn’t do that. It sends you down wrong paths and makes you think you should be doing stuff that you really shouldn’t. If you try and follow the flow in Boundless as a new player, you are going to get lost. I think the skill sheets have more to do with that than anything, but crafting timers contribute. Tools start taking orders of magnitude longer to cook but don’t get orders of magnitude better. Skipping straight over gold and titanium and going from silver to gem tools makes the most sense, but the game doesn’t tell you that at all. I dunno, there are a lot of things that need smoothing out with the NPE.

Agree. A whole lot they know already as the community has already given a lot of feedback.

James knew about issues and started to ask for more feedback long time ago:

We just have to wait and see what Monumental will make out of Boundless.

I’d like to know where you got that information, as the playstation player numbers are not available.

That thread is from 2017. It is 7 years old. I have no idea which posts match up with which patches. James doesn’t own, operate, or work on the game anymore. He is gone. He may have known about the issues, but he didn’t do anything about them. Monumental is new, and new threads don’t hurt anyone. If you don’t like the topic, don’t read the thread.

2 Likes

imagine those times :stuck_out_tongue:

however i did spread the across 60 machines :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Time is but an illusion :clown_face:

Monty already stated that he is not a fun of time gates in games. So I would expect changes there eventually. Although NPE is first on Monumental list of things to do.

1 Like

Thats why I wrote “We just have to wait and see what Monumental will make out of Boundless.

I could also say Ïf people don’t like the game then don’t play it.

Moaning and complaining about the same thing every day is really not going to help.

I could also say Ïf people don’t like the forums, then don’t read it. For those who don’t want to read the topics, there are discord chanels too you know.

Moaning and complaining about the same thing every day is really not going to help.

5 Likes

clap friends

3 Likes

Then moan about it and see if it helps. I guarantee it does not.

I will stay vocal about it as this is a public forum. Nothing will change on crafting timers so complain all you want but again, it won’t help. (Time will tell to see if I am right.)

maybe you can sing us a song?

1 Like

I will stay vocal about it as this is a public forum

Then I trust you’ll have no problem with me bumping this thread as I see fit.

Thanks for understanding!

1 Like

You do you. Never acknowledged “understanding” you Dhusk on your last post. Oh well.

Not that many people playing still anyway:
01-06-2024 16:21 – Players 45 – Planets: 290

I am hoping for better times and nicer people for this game/community in 2024.