Crafting Times Reminder

In Boundless, you have the option of acquiring everything yourself as opposed to buying it on the market. Real life functionally doesn’t have that option for modern goods or mass manufactured goods. That doesn’t change that the process in both worlds is raw material -> wait -> Refined material -> wait -> manufactured good, regardless of if you own the whole vertical process for your goods.

I love these debates haha, and honestly love reading them and hearing everyone’s opinions.

I guess at the end of they day however you or anyone perceives how a process works based on your personal experience is each to their own right lol. For myself after spending over 2 decades working in production, cheffing and sales servicing once of the largest product ranges in australia I’m pretty confident in how things work in the real world.

I personally just don’t see why a game would have been designed to bottleneck players. I mean the word boundless to me means boundless opportunity’s…. Not boundless waiting for ■■■■ to finish so you can build later lol.

I get very little time to play and when I log on now it spend 80% of my time filling machines, waiting for crafts to finish to then log off to then only have to repeat the process multiple times. 1 week passes and yay I get to actually place a block- by then the interest is lost and the project is abandoned.

While you say increase the factory output is a great idea lol - my factory contains 64x of each machine fully coiled and over 200 furnaces- is that not big enough hahaha. Why do I still find myself waiting days for things to craft after filling all of them to the brim when I do bulk crafting for projects then?

1 Like

There is nothing boundless about this game.

James nerfed bomb mining into the ground for some reason.

James also nerfed the shape beacons can be by adding a ruddy compactness metric to all builds which is literally a boundary for beacon shapes that do not wish to conform to a square like shape.

1 Like

Lol soo true

Well there you go. When you do this thing in the real world, you probably don’t want to do it in the game. Personally, this:

is my preferred playstyle. That and building when I have the creative juice for it. I definitely agree, and hopefully I have been making it clear in this discussion, that when I’m talking about fun I’m only talking about my own experiences.

How big are your builds? Are you able to place the blocks faster than you can craft them, or are you waiting until all of the materials are completely ready before you start building?

It’s definitely noticeable that’s your play style which is cool, but in regards to building faster than creating blocks it depends on the project- I prefer to build up a stockpile of materials before I lay the first block so I don’t run out or have to wait mid build.

Most of my larger builds that I used to have might take 40-80ss of one item like brick or marble as example.

1 Like

If you don’t have a lot of time to play games, then playing anything with the word MMO in its description is usually not for you.

1 Like

Absolutely agree @Redlotus .
I hope they do not shorten any crafting times at all.

There is nothing wrong with the crafting times in this game. Plan better what you need or have more machines. I think it is balanced enough and there is a reason why games like this have crafting times.

Instant or near instant crafting times would really destroy the economy in the game.

People that want everything fast will get bored fast and leave the game. I have seen a lot of people that go for endgame stuff only as fast as they can and those people don’t play anymore.

1 Like

My solution was to literally not play the game while I’m waiting on my coal to craft. I suspect a similar solution would be used by many others and I think that’s bad design and ultimately will lead to players leaving the game.

From an MMO perspective, I’ll reference New World. While the game lost a lot of players after launch due to lack of meaningful endgame content, the economy is extremely robust and 100% player-driven. That said, crafts are all near-instant. How is it that New World can have near instant crafts, everyone can potentially craft everything and yet the economy is extremely robust?

2 Likes

New World a very specific game loop around progression of the gear and your need for it to get to end content along with durability that goes away. Boundless does not have that game loop really nor something so robust and specific to gear builds, etc. Additionally NW economy is mostly focused on those core things that are needed and that progression gear… all the other stuff it has with drops and stuff is thrown away and people don’t need it unless they want the parts. So only a specific area of the game’s economy is great…

People also left for other reasons that content… the other loops got old and the faction warfare wasn’t really up to what people expected… The games really are not the same and shouldn’t be compared on an economy level plus we know Boundless has problems in that area beyond crafting times.

If you are waiting for something to be crafted and even stop playing the game while you wait for the crafting to be finished then you are playing the game the wrong way. (in my opinion)

There is a lot in Boundless you can do while your stuff is being crafted.

Most people I know stuff the machines before they logout for the day. So next time they go online all the crafting is done.

I personally do not know anybody who stopped playing this game because of long crafting times.

1 Like

I referenced New World because it was specifically asked earlier in this thread what other MMOs have instant or near-instant crafts as though it was commonplace that all MMOs have decent to long craft times (most don’t). Then when I state one, it gets written off as “well, it’s not really applicable”.

1 Like

How many people do you know that stopped playing the game at all?

Quite a few, but for complete other reasons. I have played this game from the very beginning.

1 Like

Sweet. I know of several that quit in part due to crafting times and I’ve been around since the EA release just before bombs were introduced into the game. I remember fondly my first few weeks in Boundless <3)

EDIT: Here’s another thread from a long-time Boundless veteran most people know that sums it up nicely:

Another long-time Oortian (Havok) sums up the point nicely here as well:

I’ve argued for the value of longer crafting times to the" economy" in the past, and I now see how absolutely wrong I was and how it comes at the cost of an enjoyable experience. Already pleanty of time invested in simply acquiring materials. Remove crafting times entirely, and make crafting about quality, not speed.

I must have missed that request so sorry I didn’t understand the post. In that context then, yes I agree your post is basically on point then. Yes, the crafting in NW is basically instant and it supports a pretty decent economy in that game. I do agree it is successful overall and they did it basically right.

I do think they could have added a bit of time to the crafting time but then again it wasn’t needed because the grind around making the gear is more than enough. In fairness, at times do I agree that the grind for Boundless is across everything and maybe that can be balanced better.

1 Like

And to be fair… you quit at least once or twice during that time for a variety of reasons. So I feel that others who “quit” might come back if they want…

No worries. Wasn’t being dickish - was just stating that I was responding to a question from someone earlier.

I stopped playing once to make a statement. You probably remember Xaldafax. (Red gleam, trolls and game design mistakes)
That was sorted out over time, so I came back.

People take a break from most games though, I think that is quite normal.

2 Likes

Mayhap a creative world would suit your fancy more?

I have always been able to find other things to do in the game while things were being crafted. Because of that, I really fail to understand how this creates such a large problem that it causes people to not play the game while things were being crafted. Are other people’s play-styles really that linear and one dimensional that a single road block shuts them down?

I am not trying to be insulting, I honesty just don’t understand it.

2 Likes