CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint System or Moving Box

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

Say I’m a crappy builder but still love to build a lot (actually this is me, lol) then people surely would not want to buy any blueprint of mine which means I can’t earn extra, free, cubits that the great builders can get.

Not sure I would like that idea very much…

Unless there are plenty of other ways to get paid in cubits. Say I sell my forged tools for cubits?

So either it’s gonna be coin for the blocks too OR there should be more ways to get paid in cubits not just by being a good builder…

(or, of course, the cubits do not go to a player AT ALL)

Yeah, my message is confusing, sorry, I should’ve removed that “and the cubits goes to the seller” part.

My final thought was more along the lines of this :
• You buy the blueprint for coins, which goes to the seller (the usual tax applies, modified by the epic skill).
• You can buy the blockset for coins IF the seller provides them (the tax also applies, epic skill yadi-yada).
• You can buy the blockset for cubits and these go to Wonderstruck. The seller doesn’t have to provide anything, this option will always be available by default.

Okay that would be fine with me!

But…

Potential abuse possible depending on where the blocks go for the blueprint…

Say I buy cubits on an alt (or different account even), buy my own blueprint with the blocks, the latter using cubits. This char gives the blocks to my main character which then my main character can sell for coin to other players…

Basically coin for cubits in a roundabout way…

Mmmmh, you’re right.
In CV, there is no economy thing, no blocks to buy between players, just trading blocks for blocks and such, so this isn’t a problem.

But in Boundless, I guess what I was proposing with cubits wouldn’t be possible. :confused:
Dang it!

We’d still be able to sell blueprints, and maybe the blocks for coins, though. That would still be awesome.

1 Like

To add my input on the size of blueprints i would suggest maybe a hard cap of 10x10x8 plots.(edited from 10 in height to 8 in height to allow an even segment from mantle to skybox) You could include the building as part of the blueprint making it single use or a ‘ghost’ blueprint that just gives an outline to work from that could be sold. As for the other contents of a beacon something else would have to be worked out to save those items.

EDIT: removed unnecessary text from before topic split.

Thanks @Stretchious

2 Likes

That’s a valid request, but maybe better ask @Stretchious or @Havok40k to do the split.
For the record, better do it after this message :
https://forum.playboundless.com/t/what-turns-you-off-playing-boundless/9953/2104?u=goblinounours

1 Like

Thanks @Stretchious !

1 Like

No worries - I’ll leave you to change the title as needed! :+1:

4 Likes

Eh, TBH, you already made a good call with the title.

Later, I will however rework the first message to turn it into an actual suggestion by highlighting some comments made after.

2 Likes

I’m fine selling blueprints and stuff but would not anything related to blueprints be linked to cubits. I don’t feel cubits should be in any part of the conversation. We have coin for buying and selling of stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t care how it’s done. I just want to not lose all my progress if I step away for a while. Right now I’m paying to not play.

Just throwing this out there… I’d much rather create blueprints of smaller things, such as a pillar or farm pattern, etc. that can speed up the creation of something. Perhaps I can create wall sections for a city wall off project site and then just make it into a blueprint to import at the city, town, mall, or whatever the project site is.

I think putting a limitation on whatever size the blueprint can be will make it easier to use. Personally I think making it limited to the chunk size is a good start. Then again I am not the player that builds stupidly large things to just build something large because the game lets me. I rather use it for smaller scale things.

5 Likes

I’d say just start with a 1 plot blueprint for now…? 8x8x8

1 Like

Had a conversation about this today… would the moving box need to move ALL your blocks at once or could it do it in like 500 or whatever count at a time. Once you empty the first set of blocks it would fill up again with more, etc. Does that work? Or would you prefer the whole build stored?

I would prefer all the blocks get stored or moved at once. I rather say stored because that leaves you with the possibility to start over new and pick out you owned blocks out of the Dropbox do to speak whenever you need it. You can go from a big palace to a tiny house that fits your playstyle better(whenever life kicks in for unforsaeble time). The Dropbox holds all your materials without you having to build a massive storage again.

Blueprints for small things and really big things are IMPERATIVE for different people for different reasons… both is best!

Also blueprints should have different flavors: for example one type to MOVE, another to Clone or sell etc.

How about this idea:

1. you place a moving block in a 2x2x2 chunk and hit “copy design”
  2. To create the object you place the “learned” moving block in a new 2x2x2 chunk, and then fill the moving block (like a chest) with the list of items required to make the build. As soon as you’ve put in all the items, it deploys.

Not saying BL should copy either of these…posting this so peeps can see how pre-fab builds are being used in other games…

In Trove they are called frameworks. You have to find or buy the recipe, craft/find/buy the supplies, and there is usually an in-game currency cost. They can only be placed in your world…not in the public worlds. If you dismantle it, you only get basic building blocks back.

In Creativerse, you buy the blueprint (you can also make them), and then you place/build it. You have to have/craft all of the needed blocks or you can buy a package that has all the needed blocks.

I don’t feel like logging into them right now to take screenshots, but in NMS and OSRS, you create pre-fab rooms/walls that can be used to build. You have to have the right skill/recipe/materials to build each thing.

3 Likes

Boundless should have some mechanics to make moving another planet easier.

Right now it is just easier for abandon old plotted area and keep mandatory of items there. If player is active on game there probably enough cubits on saved so that plotting new area isn’t issue.

I think leads issues where other players who might like to expand or set their beacons can’t.

Moving boxes, that would for example only unpack in home beacon could be one option. Able to combine blueprints with moving boxes would be great.

Another way of moving items could be for example rockets that could be used as mailing items that could be used as general quest system for all players.

I think this would be great way to do it if system is able to do blueprinting and packing player placed blocks same time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a feeling it would require quite a bit of back-end code changes to make such an option possible, without risking the data going bust at some point.
I’d definitely be on-edge about using such a feature.