CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint system REDUX

You know they can’t just copy and paste other game codes into boundless and then just see it work right?

If others figured a feature for their game doesn’t mean it’s easy to be implemented in another. It doesn’t matter if both are sandbox and building games, each game has is own different code.

I think when the durability bar gets to 0, the item shouldn’t be destroyed, just have it give a notice that max plots have been blue printed. That is a lot of work to have to redo if you try to save 1 too many plots. Which I’m sure everyone would complain about

1 Like

Actually wasn’t aware of the PlayfulCorp number. They fired a good number of people a few months ago, though. You’re sure they’re all on CV, too? They have other concurrent games.
Anyway, that does make sense, but then how come they don’t recruit more people? Can’t they?
They started development before the others, and are still far behind the others in terms of… well… almost everything except some base things like optimization and artstyle where they are far in front.

Of course they can’t. But 6 years and no ladders, though. ^^

Good point! I’ve changed the OP with that in mind.

1 Like

Imo i think BP should be used to make small canvas i.e premade columns or a part of road and not a complete build of 1k plots.

3 Likes

I guess with a small team, it’s mostly just a case of prioritising what’s in a single pipeline as opposed to being able to work on multiple pipelines at the same time - and then work of whatever gives the biggest wins for the largest amount of people or firms up the foundations of the game.

I would also love to have some ladders too! :wink:

I also like the blueprint idea, but as mentioned in some of the other posts, due to the size of some of the builds out there, it would probably be better suited I think to player managed blueprints with a size restriction in place (possibly skill related to make bigger blueprints - turn it into a profession).

I think a guideline blueprint might be best as well - no auto-builds etc. unless they introduce some form of automation to fit the rest of the game as well.

2 Likes

Ykno, money

I’ll use Minecraft again as an example.

It’s been around 10 years and they don’t have chairs or tables.

2 Likes

I still have the same response as last time -

I’ve had many conversations and a lot of the tech for this isn’t still in place. Beyond the time to code, the big issue was moving the data between planets (in the case of trying to grab a blueprint and move). How would that data move, etc.

Now that we have reclaim I can see that helping a bit at least in gathering and moving things. The next step is how do you understand a blueprint that is super huge. Or do we set limits on the size of them. Lastly how will they built afterward… Are people wanting manual or automatic building? Personally I like an automatic method of slowly building it over the course of a few hours (to help server).

I am a fan of game assets so would like a Designer Table or something as one of the assets related to Blueprints.

1 Like

What if they started just like with a non-collision/see through/able to walk through mode and you could build it one block by one block. Then later add an automatic ability with skills or profession.

That way you could hire builders to follow templates

2 Likes

If you could import designs from magica voxel and other programs like that it would be amazing

1 Like

That’s kinda the entire point of the suggestion, though. Have you read the part with the beacon saver item?
The way I see it, it would only be able to save up to like 20-40 plots or so. Clearly NOT biiiiig builds.

@Xaldafax Yeah, I mostly re-wrote it to re-think how it could work and also because the original thread I made wasn’t clear : all the big points weren’t in the first message, which is not something I like to do.
If the blueprint takes like 10 seconds per block or 10 minutes per plot, honestly, I’d be fine with it : the system would exist anyway.

@molav Thought about it in the original thread I wrote (the one Xal linked), BUT I thought the whole “ghost preview” thing would be a tad too complicated too pull off, on top of the rest of the blueprint system which is already hard to tackle.
Though the idea of linking the blueprint system to an epic skill to make it go from manual building by following a template to automatic sounds interesting.

2 Likes

Yeah I think it was nice to centralize. This topic is obviously something I am VERY much interested in and will continue to fight for it whenever I can - I’ve talked in person many times about this with the Devs on ideas and ways to accomplish… I believe it is critical to the game to give players some form of ability to MOVE their builds or get away from conflict situations or areas they no longer like. When private rental planets hit people will likely want to move to them and not take the time to rebuild. So we need a move. Same thing if a person wants to move off their rental back on to public, etc.

This would be a complicated system so I am willing for us to go through phases. Even moving a few plots and repeating it would be ok. Not ideal at all but I think the win of the “feature” is better than how it works initially.

3 Likes

i think we will get it sanctum is basically a blueprint builder in discuise
not sure if discuise is a word lol covert/camouflaged

In disguise?

But to me, the Sanctum looks more like it the prototype of a prototype of a creative mode.

I think it would be really helpful for building if there were a way to place X by X blocks in one click, for floors and walls

Also AoE chisels

1 Like

Kinda like Creativerse’s burst-fill, then?

Yup exactly like that. That would be nice.

1 Like

1.We will be getting blueprints in the future.

1. Cv has some neat things, but there are many things Boundless has that they don’t. Cv has lost a lot of players over the past years…they had 5k-10k players for awhile. They are at 300-1500ish now.

I don’t know how Boundless will add blueprints…it would be cool if you don’t have to scan your build…if it could just save the whole thing and place it like how the blueprint system in Fallout works.

3 Likes

I hope they add both of these in the future :+1: haven’t heard anything about it, but it would be a nice QoL update

Catching up on the thread a bit took off a lil

I think if it’s saves in individual layer I can see it being saved as a 2d plan and not a 3d model

Back in my Minecraft day I used a mod called Schematica. If I remember right, it was a client side and not server side that allowed you to save and load projections to guild your builds. If it was the correct block and spot, it would be seen regularly if not you would be a glowing ghost of the block(sorta like force ghost from Star Wars)

This looks like a copy of the that Minecraft mod I mentioned.

Schematica