CRAZY IDEA : Blueprint system REDUX

2 Likes

Well I hope for their sakes that it comes in 2020, otherwise I wonder if they will survive in 2021 when other building games come out.
< cough > Hytale < cough >

Minecraft don’t have blueprints unless you mod it and it’s been alive for years.

Let’s don’t push them onto working quick with something this important.
We don’t want to end with posts like “help I blueprinted my base and now I lost half of it”

I mean, I’m expecting Minecraft to be on life-support next year. A big chunk of their playerbase will move to Hytale without the shadow of a doubt, especially because the devs of Hytale were managing some of the most popular MC servers.

3 Likes

Awh. Video not available in my country. :disappointed:
Something something about the US response to the virus?

Really?

Well just google “Fauci Pitt SNL” you’ll find it

1 Like

I like the idea of having blueprints, and being able to sell those blueprints (being able to copyright a blueprint so it can’t be placed and re-printed would be amazing - but pretty sure that is impossible tho) but I don’t like the idea of automatically building the blueprinted structure. I think the ghost block idea is the way to go

3 Likes

You win the internet, here have some fake internet points :100:

:laughing:

1 Like

But what about all the the empty spaces? Those do not need to take any space in the blueprint data at all. Plus, one can easily come up with a compression algorithm for this, if you have a lot of the same blocks you can assign it a number, the top 255 most used blocks (can include chisel data) in a blueprint can be assigned a simple number from 1 to 255, 0 is reserved for a block which needs it’s full info added…
Heck you can also probably do 254 instead, use 1 to designate that it needs to repeat the same block, with the next 2 bytes telling how many and what block type…

I also do not believe we will ever see reclaim beacon automatically save the blueprint either tho. Some builds are really rather big. I would like to just have a max size for a blueprint and that we can set the size of what we want blueprinted…

1 Like

The empty still have to be marked as empty. . they do not have to have a color like a stone block will but they have to be marked as empty. So yes they will take less space but they still take space. I am sure there are ways to compress the data. but even looking at your suggestion for most common block types. . orientation of the base block still matters with a lot of items (refined, deco and brink stone for examples) as well as the placement of the chisel. If a slope is the most common chisel type (since it gets used on roofs and for ramps so it might just be) then you have to have two points of reference to know which way the chisel is oriented. You need to know which side two sides are flat and with this you can determine the orientation. You could have a lot of blocks that are unchiseled and do not require any orientation like marble or mosaic, and this would also make the files smaller.

As far as being able to provide a code to say repeat the last block. I can see how that might also help to save data. But I wonder if it would only be able to be done within a plot since plots are going to have to be integrated into the system.

I would agree for reclaims I am not sure this will ever happen due to the size of some builds. That is why I advocate for offline blueprints. They can be as big as the space the player has to save data without adding to the data that has to be saved by the developers.

Also the natural blocks in the plot will also need to be blueprinted.

It’s not cool to say it, but I’ll say it anyway : Boundless is behind a lot of other games. I don’t actually know how/why it happened, but they still have to figure out features all other games have figured out years ago.

Ladders are still an alien concept in Boundless, for crying out loud!

So yeah, let’s not push them, but at one point, they will have to push themselves. All the people saying “I’m sticking with Boundless!” now might change their mind in a year.
I’m definitely not sure what I’ll do next year, when my beacon is about to run out of GC.

I think we’ll see a lot more happen in Boundless as we get closer to the release of Hytale. I’m sure James is acutely aware of CV and Hytale, and Hytale’s acquisition by riot games.

I’ll be playing both for sure - but honestly, more boundless, unless Hytale gets a quick port.

One thing I know, though, is that Wonderstruck needs to work on their com. I often see people say “Wonderstruck has an awesome communication, compared to other games”, and I’d say “yeah, compared to fully developped games with relatively happy, stable and large communities”.
But compared to games which need more development or have big issues to fix and players to reassure, games which need to prove their worth, actually, not so much!

They need a proper roadmap.
Currently, all they do is whisper that they’re working on some things to a chosen-few, who tend to whisper these things back to other people (which is kinda supposed to be the job of a community manager, BTW).

There I go again.

I think it’s pretty easy to ascertain why… Wonderstruck has a very small development team (14 currently according to the credits).

Other games of a similar ilk have easily 3-4 times that amount…
Play Corp (Creativerse) has a team about 45 strong… (although I might be wrong on that one)
Hypixel Studios (Hytale) touts having a team of over 40 developers

1 Like

You know they can’t just copy and paste other game codes into boundless and then just see it work right?

If others figured a feature for their game doesn’t mean it’s easy to be implemented in another. It doesn’t matter if both are sandbox and building games, each game has is own different code.

I think when the durability bar gets to 0, the item shouldn’t be destroyed, just have it give a notice that max plots have been blue printed. That is a lot of work to have to redo if you try to save 1 too many plots. Which I’m sure everyone would complain about

1 Like

Actually wasn’t aware of the PlayfulCorp number. They fired a good number of people a few months ago, though. You’re sure they’re all on CV, too? They have other concurrent games.
Anyway, that does make sense, but then how come they don’t recruit more people? Can’t they?
They started development before the others, and are still far behind the others in terms of… well… almost everything except some base things like optimization and artstyle where they are far in front.

Of course they can’t. But 6 years and no ladders, though. ^^

Good point! I’ve changed the OP with that in mind.

1 Like

Imo i think BP should be used to make small canvas i.e premade columns or a part of road and not a complete build of 1k plots.

3 Likes

I guess with a small team, it’s mostly just a case of prioritising what’s in a single pipeline as opposed to being able to work on multiple pipelines at the same time - and then work of whatever gives the biggest wins for the largest amount of people or firms up the foundations of the game.

I would also love to have some ladders too! :wink:

I also like the blueprint idea, but as mentioned in some of the other posts, due to the size of some of the builds out there, it would probably be better suited I think to player managed blueprints with a size restriction in place (possibly skill related to make bigger blueprints - turn it into a profession).

I think a guideline blueprint might be best as well - no auto-builds etc. unless they introduce some form of automation to fit the rest of the game as well.

2 Likes