CRAZY IDEA : the lost ones

[DISCLAIMER] The Hunter is coming, and there are already plans for a Parasite creature, so I don’t think we need new creatures just yet. That would be for sometime in the future.
Still, I’ve had this thought for a creature concept that I just wanted to lay down before I forgot about it.

So here it is :

If you’ve played World of Warcraft, you might know about how some Draenei have lived too long in zones touched by the demons and have slowly turned into feral creatures, twisted shadows of what they once were :

I’d love to see a creature in Boundless which looks like a corrupted player-model. It’d be a creature who succombed to the effect of environmental weather (toxic, volatile, etc), and now looks more like a kobold, hang-up on his last oortshards, wearing the remains of a cutletrunk on his head to not be bothered, with a broken beacon still attached to his back like a totem, his body covered in scars, slim like a bone-bag, but with some big survival skills.

It could try to steal things from your inventory with his own grapple, because it hopes to build a roof for itself.
It could have some stealth skills, and it could jet-away to high-grounds using his grapple (which would be tightly attached to his arm with ropes). The time spent on those high-tier worlds gave the Lost one some special abilities related to the environmental weather, too.

Killing it could give you some oortshards and other precious items (depending on the world), and it would allow you to recover what it might’ve stolen from you.

It hides in stealth-mode, semi-transparent (or maybe it can wait inside the leaves of trees, like the Parasite creature waits in stone blocks), and then it jumps at you screaming, grapples something from your inventory (maybe a crafted block or tool?) and runs away laughing, using his grapple, and so you need to follow it and kill it to recover your item and some more loot.
It would kinda be like the Treasure Goblin from Diablo 3, you know?

And who knows, maybe you fail to find it, and someone else does, and finds your item, and asks around “anybody lost this tool?”… naaaaah, people are gonna keep those items. :stuck_out_tongue:
But I’m also sure that if the item is super hard to make, some players will make threads on the forums to try to find the owner. There are some good samaritans out there.

EDIT : The Lost-one could also be the opportunity to play around with AI a bit more. Let’s be honest, the Artificial intelligence in Boundless, as of today, is primitive, more like Artificial apathy.
What if the Lost one, when not engaged in combat, had some reactions to its surroundings?
It’s something which will exists in the future Hytale game :

Like, if it starts raining and it’s not hidden in tree leaves, it will run away, sobbing in displeasure, trying to find the nearest leaves to jump in.
If it sees a block lying around and there’s no player around, it will grab it and add it to its inventory/loot (could be funny, players could throw things at one from a very high position, and it’d create the wealthiest Lost one in the universe ^^)
If it sees another creature which isn’t a Lost one or an elite, it will attack it, kill it and feed on it.

Anyway, hope you liked that CRAZY IDEA™ !

3 Likes

oh, I like it - mutated/corrupted oortlings that succumbed to darker side of their oortian soul

different behavior there (stealing, hoarding) would make it a new challenge comparing to typical creatures; they are sentient (although of shrank consciousness or self-awareness) so maybe they could also spawn in caves in groups of 3-6 or more

actually, maybe an event like meteorite - when on higher tier worlds where they mutated to lower type of “culture”, they could appear in cave systems in hordes of 15 to 30 and there would be a loot box after defeating them (just like from meteorite) with some really cool rewards

Made a crappy drawing in 5 minutes with my mouse. I’d do better if my pen tablet was working, but eh…
Tried to show the Cuttletrunk remains, the rashes on the skin, the grapple attached to the right hand. Yeah, I should repair my pen tablet, that’s just bad compared to what I could do normally
LostOne_Concept_1

2 Likes

i like the crude lines there - its good enough for tools u used and its pretty clear whats the concept - I personally love it!! the creature skin and such as part of clothing is so cool; could also have primitive weapons like teeth/bone/claw made attachments to their fists or simple bone knives; as decor also bone/eye/scale “jewelry”

1 Like

Oh yeah, it could use part of a Wildstock skull as a shield attached to his other hand… and indeed, it could use more things like jewels made out of the worlds two colors of gems.
Y’know, when I’m done with my work, maybe this week-end, I might refine the drawing into something a bit better.

I’m going to add something to the OP which I forgot to mention :

1 Like

ambient creatures spawn as players move and despawn when no one around - less burden on servers as they don’t need to simulate “life” of permanently placed entities with their own AI

in here it would have to be a bit like meteorites I guess, when a group of them spawns for someone but isn’t defeated, their existence is prolonged to another half an hour or so and other players, who wonder in, may encounter them and observe their different sandbox behaviors (their existence on a planet would count towards player limit maybe, so if there are 20-30 lost ones existing simultaneously in 2-3 groups around a world, players’ limit would go down by the same amount? all that to prevent congestion and lagging)

there would have to be a limit of them existing at the same time per world (30? 40?), and when that’s reached no more of them can be spawned until the existing ones are either defeated or despawned

Ah, I did not know about the way the creatures spawn and despawn. That changes things.

it is doable - just need to think about how servers can handle this - certainly the lost ones most likely couldn’t be permanent entities

however prolonged existence from spawning moment would work I guess, maybe even an hour for a triggered group (moving like hunters/gatherers/looters or settled in a cave camp or something); that would give players exploring a chance to find them even if they were spawned by someone else

I think this kind of meteorite-like logic bringing sentient beings to our worlds would make it feel more alive and would add a lot to fighting/looting side of game

1 Like

1 Like

steals your grapples, can t chase after lol