CRAZY IDEA : Weather control system

I think we are more aligned then we realize. Because of text and I am sure I am not typing out my full thoughts or communicating completely.

There are effects that are in the game like currently in the sanctum:
These cool sparkles in the air. They would be cool to appear around my base. There was an exo world that had neat leaf/line effects that were green, I would love those around my base.

To be fair, I built my base where these appeared:
Little dancing ball of light that fade and move around. I wanted them for the ‘feeling’ of the area so I built where i found them spawning and on the world they were on.

Also, there may be two pieces of feedback in this thread.
1- a group that doesn’t like certain weather effects and wants them to be able to turn them off (rain/snow) ect. I am not in that group and fine with random weather patterns.
2 - a group that wants to customize the weather effects for their base to add to the build creating an extra layer of ‘ooooooo’ added to their build.

I would also note I am not tied to the suggestion that GC would pay for it or how it would be implemented. My feedback is simply: “Being able to add effects to the air in my build would be cool”

Maybe that is a new machine and item that is a fuel and people have to “Collect” environmental effects and it creates fuel for the machine…or maybe it is just on the beacon.

I think the devs can balance that. I would enjoy the option so I support the suggestion.

2 Likes

I think this could be done with decorative objects that have effects or blessings on the corresponding beacons. For example, snowmen that give the beacon 5% more chances of attracting snow with a limit of 30% maximum for accumulation. Something like that for every weather option. If technically possible by how the weather is coded, of course. xD

2 Likes

That actually could be a fun idea.
But let’s say you have +30% to all weather effects, then the whole thing kinda becomes pointless, though, doesn’t it?
Or would the +30% be total across all weather effects?
Problem is, then, how would the system decides which weather bonuses receives priority if you have plenty of each item that gives a bonus?

1 Like

30% maximum for each type of weather, if you put more decorative objects of its kind does not add more probability, it would remain at 30% Then if you want to waste the blessings putting 30% on each type, it is your problem because you do nothing, but if you put two or three types of climates at 30% because they are your preferences, then you have 30% more chances in those types of weather. This would include following the weather as it is. Let’s say you put a snowman in a desert where there is a 0% chance of snow, so you do nothing. What I mean is that the percentage is applied to the planet’s climate. Would something like that be possible?

Also, for my part, I would like that in a closed place not between the fog and the particles, in addition to the sound effect of rain and others, it is somewhat lighter than now inside the buildings.

Yes I am comparing them because on a base level they are related. Planets has atmosphere, weather, and terrain that is different. That should not go away and maybe only be balanced better. People shouldn’t be allowed to control those things except in creative or private rental areas. Plus I would say “weather” does affect game play because people are complaining about it and others like it.

The “easy button” comment is much more than just about weather and you shouldn’t take it personally because I mention it here again in this post. My comment is about a consistent trend by some players in forum posts to try to make the game easier instead of solving root design or game mechanic issues. I think we need to sovle the root issues not put patches on stuff.

No where did I say YOU should be moved to creative mode so I don’t know why you would make that link. I feel many people that cannot manage the grind or specific game play situations might be better suited for a creative or own planet mode than the MMO situation. Just because I say that doesn’t mean I’ve made a definition on who should and should not be in any mode. I am speaking in generalizations.

People need to keep the context that the MMO is a survival game and not a grind free nothing never changes game. I’m not saying you said anything like that. I’m just using this post to share a few more thoughts that are relevant on basically why I would be against weather changes like the OP until AFTER the game systems are fixed.

Yup… I think we are mostly aligned with that. I would consider point 2 and just am not on board right now with point 1. In the end, though, even if I am not on board with point 1 I do think we need to take time to confirm the balance of the effects are correct. I don’t know enough on the weather layer beyond basics of its design to speak to more specific points.

1 Like

I’m in support for weather control with gleam club. If for no other reason other than it would fix my leaky roof in every single build of mine when it rains. I’m guessing it treats it like the underside of a tree or something? raining outside, well inside the ceilings are dripping now…

Build mode getting rid of snow is ok when you are looking for resources, or trying to place patterns when building, but NOT a solution for when you. This is the very definition of a band-aid fix though, and you mention elsewhere that you want root cause fixes. The root problem is to make the weather system “more survival like” or even “more practical” we are talking about increasing the amount of code related to it by about 5-10 times what it is now I’m sure. By adding a way to customize it, you create a game feature, with far less work.

I don’t see why that couldn’t be an option for places you plot in game. You don’t really affect others ability to enjoy the game if your house it never rains. I personally like weather changes, but they do make it so you can’t see what amazing work someone has put into a build when the air is full of ice chunks falling from the sky.

In the end, either way it goes, I like the suggestion, I like the game, and with or without I’ll continue to play.

2 Likes

It drips on my first floor and there’s 3 total floors/roof above it. And some areas the floor above it is two blocks thick. Plus all the fog in my place. I have two doors on top of each other too as to prevent outside light getting in since my outside doors have windows on them. But still fog and dripping.

Also I wish Build mode got rid of all weather effects not just snow. I’d walk everywhere with it on if that was the case.

4 Likes

“NOIWASNTAIMINGATYOUITWASNTMEWHYWOULDYOUTHINKTHATITSNOTMEITSYOU!”
Sorry for jumping at you like I did, but you made that comment in the thread I wrote, while we were having an argument… And yeah, I felt targeted because I only like building in Boundless, and I do wish I didn’t had to go on hunts to get oortshards, and I do think I spend waaaaaay too much time gathering ressources vs building. Between that sort of comment and those that go like “as soon as your place goes wild, imma plunder the living @$£% out of it!”, I get easily triggered.

But whether you were targeting me or not doesn’t matter. You can’t say that thing about Creative Mode.
Mainly because, like I said elsewhere, Creative Mode is an extreme solution.
It basically halves the achievement of building. To make my build, I did had to go find blocks. I can assure you I would have stopped at my workshop if I had a Give menu.
So yeah, some people will likely enjoy Creative Mode, but you just can’t say “let’s throw all the people who only like to build and can’t handle the grind in there”.
Buildist

Regarding the survival aspect of the game, sure, why not. Like I said, I think it would be somewhat interesting if weather effects gave debuffs, and THEN, it would make sense if reducing the chance of a specific weather pattern would be costly in ressources and require some fuel and stuff.

But in the meantime, no, current weather effects have no gameplay value. They are a visual effect, they add ambiance, but they don’t add actual gameplay. The fact that people are visually annoyed by snow or rain and dripping water doesn’t factor. I’m sorry if you think they do, but you’re wrong, plain and simple, there’s no argument to be had there.

Back to the survival thing, you also have to consider if that aspect of the game is worth being expanded for all players. How many players will that bring? How many players will leave because of that?

Let’s take another example. Look at Fortnite.
Do you know it wasn’t always the PUBG-like game it is today? It’s original PayToPlay mode was waaaay different. Why do you think they went over to the current model, and pretty much left the original one to rot?

So, in regards to Boundless, could the devs actually handle having two ‘universes’, one where there’s Creative Mode instead of the survival aspect?

Maybe Rental Worlds will answer that question, but if Creative Mode worlds are individually made, disconnected from any other world, that will be a sad answer. However, if players have the option to open-up their Creative Mode world to an universe of other Creative Mode worlds… that might be quite interesting.

Point is, if that happens, how many players do you think will prefer jumping on such a universe? How many will stay in the “fun” survival mode? Then, the natural question would become “is it really worth it to keep developping one mode if the other is more successful?”

Anyway, I’m personally ALWAYS going to argue for less intrusive gameplay features.
I’m still super sad about the Prestige crops that I simply don’t feel like using because they’re a pain in the rear with their long growth time and their random-@$$ chance to wither early. It’s too random, it’s hard to control, and in the end, it’s just not worth it, unless you actually wanna have withered plants in your build.
How often do you see these plants in people’s builds? I’ve seen them ONCE in a build over the past 60 days, and they were dead (likely on purpose).

1 Like

I’ve added a revisited Weather-machine idea to the original post of the thread and a new poll with better and more relevant options.
Got nuts.

1 Like

Nice options on new poll and cool idea with that machine.

I like shards as fuel idea but maybe machine could just use materials like petals, water blocks, sand blocks, ice etc…

Example of 100 plots radius sounds much, I think manipulating weather shouldn’t be possible overlap to beacon to another without some sort of agreement.

Maybe weather should fade on plot or two of borders to “real” weather that is in area. Isn’t this anyway about keeping own area out of unwanted weather effects, not controlling whole planet weather?

1 Like

I forgot we actually had the purple petals as an item, so yeah, each effect could indeed require different items. I would leave that decision to the devs, personally.
I mean, y’know… as long as they don’t ask for 5000 ice blocks to get the snow reduction effect in minor. :rofl:

So, the machine should have a big plot radius, but couldn’t affect plots that aren’t owned by the player. That would make sense, right?

1 Like

they totally should though… the one case where they “do” is the christmas event, the christmas-hat topped creatures only spawned in places in the world where there was actually snow on the ground.

And I’m not against that either. :wink:

Fair. Thanks for at least acknowledging it and saying sorry. All things are good since I wasn’t really trying to direct it at you or anyone specifically.

I was only seeing it as an option honestly. Plus (if or when) a mode like this is offered, I highly doubt it won’t have the ability to still do the same thing we do in the MMO game now. I’d expect it to be more like testing where people can still grind as much as they want. I only brought it up because I see it as a natural extension of the MMO world and something that offers a different way to play the game for those that feel it might be something they want to try. Plus there would be nothing from stopping that person from doing both solutions.

After reading the other post you did with the effects I am certainly willing to consider looking at weather adjustments. My biggest issue I think overall was the linking of STOPPING weather to GC or just overall stopping of weather. Maybe I misread the intent or something but that was probably where my biggest - hold your horses moment came from and the “easy button” stuff. Machines or mechanisms with a reward/risk/cost type design to “augment or control” weather WOULD be something I would consider and support with the right design.

I agree they are more visual and not game play. I feel the developers just haven’t had time to add that part of the game. And as you see they do have a reason. I don’t agree that I am wrong on the other point. Anything that adds “enjoyment or annoyance” is something that does factor on a variety of levels for me. I’m sure it probably factors for many people as well. I’m not trying to have a who is right or wrong discussion here because that isn’t helpful.

Yes I actually bought the original game and played it. They did not flip models because they couldn’t handle 2 universes. The PUBG model was an emergent thing the developers did themselves and then decided to offer it out. It took over and we can see which version was the bigger win for the game and why they supported its growth.

I don’t know why you feel the need to try to prove me wrong about creative mode when I only made a side reference about it as a possible option for those that can’t handle the MMO grind design. All I have to say about is the points you tried to make about it were incorrect in my view and unfounded on how we likely would see the addition of that type of technology play out in this game. I think it would actually come together quite amazingly…

As for prestige plants - I feel the balance is off and that is why people don’t them as much. Not because of what it appears you feel the reason is.

I don’t remember saying the weather effects had no impact whatsoever. I said they had no gameplay impact.
Enjoyment/Annoyance/Fun are still not “gameplay”. They are feelings. They factor in the overall game experience. But gameplay = mechanics, such as the ability to jump, what happens when you left click on this or that. Herego, weather effects have no gameplay value.
But they would if they gave buffs / debuffs.

Actually, the entire second half of the message you were quoting wasn’t going specifically for or against one mode or the other. I would personally dislike an actual Creative Mode with give-menu and such, but I would also dislike an increase of the survival aspect of Boundless if it makes it too painful.

“Rise thread to the surface”
As i think this shouldnt be left unchecked by the Devs.
Just These days more People brought it up in the support section, so i bring this one back from the grave!

@james, @lucadeltodecso, @Leahlemoncakes.
Could we get some Input from you guys on the steering Wheel Maybe?
The Ground fog, which isnt only Ground as i have it 50 Levels high and up aswell, Needs to go. This is my opnion. It is irritating, game halting and annoying to the Point it wants me to log out.

To the weahter Control System, make it GC only and you will see People not liking it. Given your exorbitant recipes for anything new and good Looking, many more People wont like it, so Maybe get rid of that idea from the get go. Even i would like to see such device, i am afraid what will come out of it and how to be able to deploy it.

I like the machine idea, with gleamclub keeping it fueled if purchased.

It will provide more value to gleamclub.
But also create another market value for elemental shards.
Another revenue stream for hunters and reason to hunt

Here’s the WS recipe for weather control fuel ;3
100 refined blink/umbris/rift and 50 meteoric ichor for 10 fuels (1 fuel = 1 hour) :3
Crafting time 2 days 7 hours on a fully coiled workbench :3

2 Likes

While making it GC controlled will make a certain demographic of People happy or uncaring, the “P2W” fanatics will come back from Hiatus again. And personally, i had enough of it.