CRAZY IDEA : buffs and debuffs for weather effects

This suggestion relates to the CRAZY IDEA : Weather control system

This is quite a straight-forward suggestion, but it does imply a number of things that deserve a bit of discussion.
Here’s an example :
Sunny weather : increase to health, you feel fine!
Rain : The heavy rain is preventing you from working at your full potential, it increases energy drain - the debuff could have a stacking effect the longer you’re outside (doesn’t apply to water dripping from a roof)
Snow : loss of energy over time, except during Oortmas where the player is filled with the Spirit of Oortmas (which could invert the effect and make it a buff) - the buff/debuff could have a stacking effect the longer you’re outside
Fall of rose petals : reduction of energy drain, you feel zen!
Flight of parasitic organisms : (I still don’t know the official name of that weather effect) increase to damage taken
Fall of leaves : reduction to fall damage
Flight of fireflies / living lights : reduction to damage taken

I’m sure I missed some weather effects, and these buffs/debuffs can just be placeholder ideas. There could also be some new weather effects. Maybe in the desert, the sun could become heavy and actually ‘burn’ you, applying a stacking health loss debuff?

THEN, the whole Weather-control-machine idea becomes way more relevant too, as you would want to be able to control weather around you to create an oasis of peace. This opens-up more discussions.

What do you think?

• I like this idea, as long as these numbers aren’t more than +5% to +10%, making the effects discreet!
  • I like this idea, but we gotta find some good numbers first!
  • I like this idea, as long as these numbers go to +100% and above! Let us FEEL the effects!
  • I’d prefer different buffs/debuffs, the ones Gob wrote suck!
  • I don’t like this idea! The weather effects are perfect like they are now!
  • I’d rather disable the weather effects entirely and never have to deal with them at all.
  • Ftaghn! :space_invader:

0 voters

1 Like

It is interesting idea that weather would effect character. If it would like to see approach where there is only buffs, and no stat based debuffs.

To me limited visibility on certain effects is enough debuff :smiley:

I would prefer something different altogether, like a permanently equippable trinket that boosts certain stats during certain weather effects. Kind of different than what you’re suggesting, but I can see people going into a frenzy if on top of rain being harder to build in, they also get a debuff as well lol.

If we are given simple ways to counter these like using umbrellas or clothes, etc… then I am ok with some work toward this idea… it makes things feel more real on the planet.

2 Likes

I feel like that may just over complicate things a bit. Nearly all of these effects are positive in nature. Mind you, he forgot about all of the scary exo and elemental weather effects possible! But our atmosphere resistance skill should double to negate the effects of hostile weather. Edit: I did not read all of the effects fully through! I’d rather there be more mostly positive effects and a neutral effect to weather. Make them more like quirks and boons than banes!

That being said, I’d love to have full body wearables to make it possible for unaclimated players to survive hostile weather on hostile worlds that they lack atmo-resistance for… at a constant durability cost of course.

3 Likes

Ill be having this 24/7…
Beckon has no sunnydays

Well, the stacking effect wouldn’t be obligatory in this suggestion. And there is also this weather-machine idea on the table.

Personally i like weather effects… hell… i love snow… others might argue with me but i think its the best weather effect.

You can alrdy effect on snow visibility with beacon view so i dont think tweaking weather machine would be good idea… as you can kinda “tweak” it alrdy