Curious question about builds regenerating along with the landscape

I’m to tired and don’t want to read any more today^^ only want to add. It would be cool, but air blocks should natural regen.
That way if there was something build where rock and soil was the build fuse with environment.

2 Likes

Underground basses filled in and come across while digging and have to dig out (srr) (sleep now :wink:)

Something to ponder for sure.

They would act the same as they do now. If you remove items, they are removed. If you leave items, they are left for looters, regen, etc.

Once blocks are removed from the game or regenerated, they are gone. As they are now.
[/quote]

Regen would only occur if someone regens it (unless they were to go with a slow regen process instead of totally waiting for players to do it).

If a beacon runs out, it will be immediately “regen-able” as it is now.

What prevents anyone from making an offensive build now, then deleting the beacon and leaving it up for 4+ hours?

It will work the same as it does now. If you find a smoking beacon and place a block, does that stop regen?

It would do it the same way that it currently remembers things for 4+ hours or until someone regens it.

That’s cool. Thank you for your questions & thoughts :+1::blush:

Hmmm, lots to think about here, now. I still like the idea, but there have been some pretty good counter points, mostly on the technical side.
Which is what I was trying to get at in the beginning. :grin:

My suggestion: A build must have been refueled x times before being considered for “ruin” status. “Ruin status” could be treated like “wild”, “reserved”, and “owned”. After a build has been around awhile and the beacon has expired, depending upon a certain set of tallies(like frequency of ff, prestige, proximity to other beacons) it could receive “ruin status”. Thus changing it on both the plot level and chunk level.
For the nitty gritty i propose that a certain percentage of the build is auto regenned at the normal rate, then upon reaching that point it is slowed drastically. It can still be regenerated manually or replotted, but for an extended period of time it exists until it fully decays week/months later.

1 Like

The minter also wasn’t around back then. Every block has a purpose now. It’s all coin

Ok … first off I am not trying to attack you so I don’t know where all the hostility is coming from. You are constantly getting mad at me because you feel I take something you said out of context and then you decide to call me out for something I did not say instead of asking a clarifying question. If you are pissed off because of the other threads or had a bad day then fine but I don’t need any bad attitude when I was just trying to have a conversation about something you suggested. And quite honestly even support it as some level.

I did not say you didn’t want other things the devs said they were going to give us. I am talking specifically to your suggestion post and not trying to bring in other ideas you might have or want or not want.

I don’t see how “stars” and “bold” are relevant to a conversation we are just trying to have. You and I are able to talk on PM without that need so I don’t see why it needs to happen here.

The blocks you are talking about (as far as I know) are pre-created assets that are introduced into the planet. Just like the trees. Someone designed them and then they are placed somehow into the world. So they become part of the world and are not “identified” (however they do that) as player placed blocks.

Based on the assumptions I have this is why I mentioned the parts around player placed and plots, etc. I would expect them to be treated differently and that once a beacon is removed the planet map is then applied back through regen.

I am not trying to make anything more complicated. I’m trying to have a technical conversation around it so it could get complicated. But since it seems to be making you even more mad or willing to just derail our conversation around it - I will stop discussing it.

Why would you think I felt you “needed” me to talk for you? You are your own person and James has said people are welcome to PM him. He doesn’t always respond so I know at least when I am using my hour to ask questions he would give an answer back and we could have data… So give me a darn break. I don’t need that junk from people when I was just offering help.

People don’t have to let anything go they don’t want to. In the end it is the same game we signed up for and decide to play each day - the parts we love and the parts we don’t like.

Obviously the build is important to them in some way because they didn’t remove it… That just makes sense. A person sharing a view does not mean that are requiring another person to do anything. It is an obvious reality that each view point is subjective in nature and most of the times has no relevance to the real discussion at hand.

So it is ridiculous to try to push some narrative that others in this forum push that I only want my own ideals and values applied to this game. I’ve proved countless times that I am flexible and willing to talk through things as well as take personal responsibility. There are plenty of other people that you should focus your ire on about pushing their own “agendas” since they don’t ever move the line in the sand they have drawn.

I don’t want a boring repeatable pre-fab design. I want a player support with some Dev pre-fab Dungeon, Ruin, and Treasure thing to explore. As I have stated before we are more aligned to the idea you are pushing that opposed.

1 Like

I do really appreciate you opening up your post with the “no disrespect” comment. I just don’t understand on any level how you could continue though with the statement that the game cannot become what I envision when I’ve never posted that information or talked directly with you. No assumptions on any level should be made about what I envision… and quite honestly it is of no real relevance because I am not developing the game. Plus, hell I don’t know exactly what I envision so you can you!!! hehe…

I just want less conflict between people, more creativity options, and each person to enjoy the Boundless Universe and planets in the way they enjoy without having to have people around unless they want that.

You hit on the point that is probably frustrating most to me and some other people I know. How does anyone support you (to create the great slides you do and cool builds in the unique building experience that you bring) and provide someone like me (who likes a bit more nature and natural landscapes) the ability to live side by side without maybe causing some issues.

That is a problem and I think many of us worry about what would the game be like if we had more people. I know I don’t always come off like I support other people’s builds and what they do… but honestly I really do. 100% and would fight for it… but I also want to fight for each person having the best experience they want in the game.

I think we need to find ways to solve this or push the devs to because we this small group doesn’t get along all the time (and we all try to be family) imagine what it will be like when 5000 or more people are playing. I don’t want worse fights just as much as the rest of you.

1 Like

lol What? I am not hostile at all. I have every right to respond & reply if you @ me.

Says who? I’ve never been “mad” at you or anyone one.

Where did I say that? What did I call you out for that you did not say?

Again, not mad about anything & my days are fine. Thanks for asking.

Excuse you?

It’s called highlighting something and I wanted to use it. It doesn’t matter if you think what I did or said is relevant. Yes, I respond to your PMs.

What you do with your phone call is your business. Give you a break for what? I’m just responding on a public forum. What junk? Responses you don’t like or don’t agree with?

I also said this.

So my own view points aren’t relevant to my own topic? Odd.

What? I’m not pushing anything. If you feel guilty about something, that’s on you, not me.

My day is just fine & I’m not mad at anyone. If you are, hopefully tomorrow will be better for you.

4 Likes

Your posting style, tone, and words you have chosen gave that impression to me and is how I felt in some areas of your response. Then saying stuff like I called builds ugly when I did not and in this past post coming off a tad condescending.

If you aren’t mad then ok. I misunderstood your posting style and apologize.

1 Like

Listen. This is a gaming forum and that’s how I take it. I’m not mad at you at all. Or anyone else. Sometimes we will agree on things and sometimes we won’t. That’s ok. There’s no need to try to “fix” that. It’s alright.

There are several people that said they didn’t like this particular idea, some stated why…and that’s totally fine. I hear you…you said you like some things, but see issues with some. I read everything you wrote & I see your points. Just because I don’t agree with or don’t like something you said, doesn’t mean I’m mad. If I ever get mad, I promise I will let you know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is to everyone, not just you…
You know me…I defend all builders, even at my own expense lol & I’m not even a builder. I do that because I try to imagine being in their shoes. I remember playing my 1st building game, how exciting the simplest things were, having fun, etc. I build some really wonky stuff lol. If someone has found a way to enjoy themselves and it’s not hurting anyone else, I don’t see any reason to bully them or judge them.

6 Likes

Awesome idea but how do you erase your own build I normally Regan bomb my own build when I wanna start over on a section of my build

1 Like

I thought more about this overnight and I still do have some concerns. I would think if implemented every block would have to have the possibility of four states.
1 - Natural State / the state as they exist before any changes made by a player

2 - Beaconed State / the state they are when beaconed which possibly involves a different block and a series of permissions that are controlled by the beacon.

3 - Not beaconed but changed or removed / this is what happens when we mine or take down a tree. We remove blocks and the system has to mark the block so that if no one enters the chunk in 4 hours it regens back to the Natural State.

4 - Once beaconed but no longer beaconed state / this would be the new state. The system has to allow the blocks to exist, but there are no beacon permissions and no timer for regen. Blocks in this state can be removed but nothing will regen without a regen bomb.

Here is where I think we have issues:

1 - if you have an area that is in the Once Beaconed state and you change a block what happens to that block? is it still a non-regenable block or does it revert to a not beaconed but changed or removed state?

2 - So if I wanted to save plots and remove the tops of trees, I could beacon an area and remove the trees and then remove the beacon and only re-beacon the ground if that is all I needed and the upper portion of the trees would not regen as they are in a Once Beaconed State. Is this an exploit or allowed? It certainly would give players the ability to make larger builds than they have plots for.

3 - If I plot a large area around a build and do not change anything, then it is still in a Once Beaconed State so it will not regen unless regen bombed even though it does not look like it needs to be regened. As an example I plotted a large area for farm expansion that I may or may not need. If I unbeacon it, then it will never regen and looks like a perfect spot to harvest other resources. Players will be able to regen but how will they know what needs to be regened and what does not? It all looks like natural land so how will someone tell the difference?

Would it be possible to have a different state that is there in that “once plot” that says “ruins” or something like that? That way people could know that the land there isn’t the same as it was. This would be only done for the once beaconed ones like @Kal-El was suggesting.

Okay, This honestly made me laugh out loud.

Yes, it would work exactly the way it does now.

I’m not sure. I didn’t suggest that because I assumed it would be too taxing on the servers and require the plots/block to hold too much info, but I dunno.

Also, what might help this is if chunks weren’t done from mantle to lithosphere. It might help in what to regen and what to keep, and also allow more regen for natural resources.

This would also help some people’s issues with chunk mesh limits as well.

I don’t know if this would be more helpful or less helpful though because it’d be loading more chunks, but each chunk would have less data.

Re: 4 states
#1. As we have now (right?), like a tree?
#2. As they do now
#3. We have this now, but in a short 4 hour time window (as you mentioned)
#4. I think #3 could be altered/extended for this to take effect…I could be 100% wrong though

Re: issues
#1. I don’t think any edits to previously beaconed blocks would change the regen process. Same as it doesn’t effect it now, in the brief 4 hour window. If I find a beacon that went out now, and I add/remove a block, it doesn’t alter whether or not that plot will regen in 4 hours or not.

#2. This would happen, as it does now for 4 hours. I’m not sure anyone would want to leave important blocks or build work un-beaconed…just as they wouldn’t now. If you do something like that & someone tosses a regen, it will revert back.

#3. I would imagine they’d use build mode to view plots as they do now? Or they’d hit blocks they come across to see if they are beaconed & by whom, as they do now?

I do know they have said they are running out of space for the data that needs to be stored for each block, but I am not sure how that applies to adding another status to the block. Only the developers know for sure.

YES

YES

YES exactly as it works now

We still need three to work for mining and gathering so I would think we need a new state. Since we can remove blocks from a Once Beaconed Build without creating a regen trigger, I think we would need a new state.

I would agree otherwise it is just to complicated since the regen is linked to the chunk and since the worlds are built on chunks and even the plots are linked to chunks, I think it is almost a total redo to not have it happen a different way.

I do not mean plot and unplot, you would be right, it will regen. What I am suggesting is you beacon an area, remove what you do not want to have near your build, and then unbeacon it (now it is in the new state), put down a new beacon and only plot where you are building as the other areas will not automatically ever regen. You can affect the area around you without expending plots

Well there are not beaconed anymore so hitting them will not do anything unless a block shows something like “ruin” like it does reserved now. That might work. I would think the build mode might work once you know an area is a “ruin”.

If anything is not plotted or beaconed it would run the risk of someone being able to regen it, just as it does now.

Exactly. That’s how you’d know that it’s not plotted and you can take the blocks, beacon the area, or regen it - just like now.

Overall, I was just wondering if they would consider extending or removing the short regen timer. I consider player ruins to be whatever was left/abandoned by other players - and is slowly looted or regenerated, just as we have now.

As far as creating an entirely new block state called “ruins” it’s a very cool idea & if you ever post it in the suggestion category I will certainly like it :+1:

1 Like

I agree, but most players would ever notice that the area above your build is actually in a ruin state where you removed the tops of trees.

Right now they have one regen process for all chunks. You probably already know that. So what you are suggesting is that when a beacon expires the plotted areas regen at a different rate than blocks that are mined or gathered from unbeaconed areas. I believe that now once an area is unbeaconed the blocks are considered Not Beaconed But Changed/Removed. The game is no longer tracking that an area was plotted or beaconed. Currently there is no reason for it too track what was beaconed versus what was mined. So you might still need a 4th state in order to segment what you might want to regen in 4 hours versus what you want to regen in 2 days. Not saying it cannot be done. We would need developer feedback.

If they were going to make a change I would certainly favor a slower regen on builds versus a no auto regen
on builds. Seems to me they might both take similar effort.