Current state of beacon persistence?

What ever happened to the discussion on beacon persistence. Was a conclusion reached?

I’m still running into issues where people literally throw a beacon down and then never return. There’s probably about 6 of them around me.

Without trying to sound like a jackass, it looks ugly, takes up space and prevents others from building in prime locations. Seems like a problem that still needs to be addressed.

1 Like

Maybe should need to get a few levels in building to get it permanent?

2 Likes

Yeah I mean that would certainly fix the issue at hand.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with people wanting to log in, lay down a beacon, then check out the scenery before logging off for 6 months.

To me at least it seems there is very little buy in for some of these players, and nothing is really lost by having an early beacon reset.

Either way it would be awesome to have a dev share there thoughts on this since we had quite a lot of discussion a while back.

1 Like

I don’t know, man. Some people have lives that are super busy and games are there once-in-a-rarity escape. How would stuff like this apply if you have a build that’s not finished, or even if it is and it’s really cool, but then life hits and you can’t play for 6 months?

We’re going to have thousands of beacons around us continually. The way I see it, you have a good point, but you’re asking the wrong questions. How are the developers going to simply manage the same aspects you mentioned with taking prime spots and not having things look cluttered and ugly when there’s thousands of people on every server/world? I think if they answer that question, yours will be answered too.

Hey dude, thanks for joining the discussion.

you bring up some good points to consider, however I feel my suggestion may be over analized here.

I’m all for supporting players who play intermitanly but what I’m seeing in game right now from my testing and experience over several months.

• player logs in.
  • throws down there beacon
  • 10 seconds of work goes into it, maybe 6 blocks of wood.
  • 3 months or more go buy they never come back.

The suggestion made by @Heureka really seems to fit what I’m looking for.

Let’s say the devs make it so,

• you log in
  • throw down your beacon.
    Then you have 1 month or x time to hit level, say 5 builder. If you don’t your plot gets reset.
    If you do hit level 5, chances are you’ve built something with moderate amount of effort and worthy of you to potentially log back every 6 months or so to build.

It’s only to stop what is going on right now where players seems to put in 10-15 minutes of game time, get board, then never ever return. It takes up wanted space from those who are actively playing and is unnecessary to have such a beautiful regen world full on these types of almost unintential griefing builds.

I really don’t see the down side and to be honest the people that this would effect won’t be here to defend themselves because they don’t even bother to build 4 walls and a flat roof. And if you can’t do that why are you playing?

1 Like

I think everything about this topic has been discussed numerous times. I doubt very much that any corner of this topic is left unexamined. Let’s please not turn this into another 300 post rage thread :pray:

4 Likes

Got it. I agree completely, sorry I misunderstood the issue.

1 Like

lol, fair point.

At the end of the day I respect and back what ever the answer is. It certainly would be awesome to have the boundless team give us they’re preferred thoughts given all the discussion and contributions towards this topic.

Love you :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Hi-lo. We have been a bit preoccupied with the trailer and psx demo and some of us, @james @olliepurkiss @dave and I are currently in LA for the event.

We will be back on the forums when we touch down in the UK and have had sufficient time to recover from the jet lag.

See you soon

:sunny: :us: :airplane: :uk: :snowflake: :astonished: :sleeping:

9 Likes

Dont forget to drop a loot bag when you’re passing over Texas this time!

3 Likes

Yes, you are right.

To shorten the discussion here is a link to the old ideas we collected months ago.

Beacon Persistence - Pro/Con List

Unfortunately, I didn’t had the time to finalize it but there is more than enough information on this topic.

@luke-turbulenz, @james: It would be cool to hear year ideas to this topic

good points here, dont remember that getting permanent beacon persistence would need a certain level ever discussed here. it would certainly remove the issue where some people just log in, place a beacon and never comes back. they firstly need to play the game (the start of it) to acquire permanent beacon.

2 Likes

@Rolco Do you know if regen happens at all in plots you own? I’d kind of like a yard where trees grow back.

Beacon plots are there to prevent any kind of regen from happening (also to protect your stuff from other players).