Death Penalty Poll And (a bit heated) Discussion šŸ˜‰

edit 3

To sum up 60 posts of discussion, people came in and accused me of generalizing without botherinā€™ to ask if I meant to, didnā€™t read all the posts, and thus the entire thread has been derailed and should be deleted. Having spent the last week answering countless questions both here and on the forums and discord, in all the twitch streams for PS4 a week ago, helping new users, and spreading good word about the game, Iā€™m frankly astonished long-time users would accuse me of such things, and this has soured my experience here greatly.

Iā€™m closing the poll and Iā€™m done here.

Iā€™ll ask a dev to just delete this thread just to wipe the slate clean. No sense hashing it out any more.

Original Post belowā€“

Given the bugs that have resulted in numerous deaths, and that Iā€™m level 37+ now, the XP penalty is really gettinā€™ frustratinā€™, especially when Iā€™m killed by a pit someone else dug, or walking down a staircase and instantly losing 20% HP after an epic meteor fight and dying.

I just donā€™t see the point in having one. The game has never felt hardcore, itā€™s not some permadeath tryhard game, itā€™s Boundless! Let us just experience the game and have fun! Or at least put a time limit on the penalty, so if enough in-game time passes it disappears on itā€™s own.

We canā€™t make obstacle courses popular if people donā€™t want to risk the penalty.

Edit

If you want to keep the penalty, please explain why?

edit 2

To sum up 30 posts of discussion, those who said ā€œkeep the penaltyā€ were fine with implementing a choice, allowing us to choose between durability loss, xp loss, or being warped back to your master beacon at the cost of coins. Please comment more if you have other ideas! :smiley:

• Remove all penalties for Death, itā€™s not fun.
  • Keep the penalty as it is.

0 voters

If you remove all the penalties there is no risk in hunting or fights. There would be no point in hp, which would mean there is no point in avoiding starving or drowning. You could just drown while getting resources or jump in a deep hole just to get to the bottom after returning to sanctum. In heigh tier planets there is a condition that if you stay on the planet too long you die. If you remove the death penalty why not just die a million times. Overall it would remove the point of hunger, risk of hunting, health bar in general, and struggling to survive on heigh tier planets.

5 Likes

You can build an obstacle course a couple blocks heigh or over water. That would fix it.

2 Likes

If death has no meaning, then whatā€™s the fun in an obstacle course?

3 Likes

Just to see if you can do it.

1 Like

My point is that it applies the same to meteor hunts and stuff- it adds challenge and meaning to the act.

5 Likes

Japp, there need to be a penality for dying and the system now is way better then permanent item durability loss. I like the system as it is. of cause, if there are other better ideas Iā€™m open for alternatives, but most I get now into my mind have more loss in them. Itā€™s just a ā€œslower levelā€ effect, not even a stacking one, so there is just the slap in your face which tells you ā€œgit gud!ā€ and nothing more. Of cause, death by bugs is a bad experience, but no excuse for removing it (better remove the bugs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

4 Likes

If thereā€™s no death penalty, then suddenly that ā€œepic meteor fightā€ wonā€™t be epic anymore.

4 Likes

Permanet item durability loss really hurt when you had gem items.

4 Likes

especially when you lose not only that of the stuff in your hand but ALL in your inventory like it was before (I think you lost 25% of all durabilities, calculated from max, not actual left durability). That were harsh times, making higher meteors to Dark-Soulesque events ^^

2 Likes

If that were the case, why do people still play games with cheat codes, or with infinite life, or with infinite continues and saved games?

Plenty of games have done just fine despite there being no penalty in them, and for a lot of us, theyā€™re more fun.

However, if there has to be a penalty, Iā€™d rather my iron weapon be destroyed, or have a time duration on the penalty.

ā€¦ for fun?

I think a better solution would be to instead of scale with your xp needed per level (because thatā€™s exponential), scale with your actual level.
Iā€™m not even level 30 yet and my debt is over 5k. which is already extremely disheartening. I think by level 50 a debt of 5000 xp is fair. And then scale it down from there. So at level 10 the debt is 1000xp. I think just to make it simple anything below level 10 itā€™s 1000xp as well. 1000xp is easy to get even at a low level.

Removing the death penalty would be similar to removing the health bar in general. Also why would you get health upgrades/skills?

fun is subjective,for some cheating and easy game play might be considered fun,but for others like me its not,wouldnā€™t be any point me playing a game if im just gonna cheat endgame gear in but as i said each to their own.

Could make the penalty that you are teleported back to your beacon, so you have to walk all the way back.

1 Like

thats actually an interesting idea and would still punish you somewhat vs just removing xp penalty.

that would be even more demotivating, but may be we get an option on death like in some other games: Do you want to be revived near your position with a penality or back at your home beacon with no penality (but some warp cost since you normaly have to pay for that when in the sanctum)?

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t that kinda confirm that there should be a choice then? If fun is subjective, letā€™s all choose our challenges. Iā€™d rather lose an item, or have a time limit on the debuff, or be teleported back to my master beacon and have to walk all the way back, itā€™d make the game far more fun for me.

That way you can have your fun, and other people can have their fun, kind of in the spirit of a sandbox, right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, but what happens when you warped to another planet with no way back to that location without paying the warp again. When you hunt in groups it would be 1 life and you out style.