Dev economy goal question

This game is such an awsome tool for teaching social studies and how the business market works. Even used it to explain the stock market.

Used it as an super effective tool on both 6th and 7th graders.

I wish the games worth in this aspect was more known And utilized.

3 Likes

We can still stop that economy from going down and lift it up. The problems are gettung more clear and clear to more and more people. Money does not circulate, less and less attractive baskets to sell to, prices still dropping cos ā€˜ā€™ competitionā€™ā€™ is still more worth then help stabilize economy, shop owners buy extremly low and resell insultingly high.
To solve this we would have to work hand in hand which will not happen, simply not happen or am i mistaken? There is a handfull willing to do so, to set a bar where to stop and trying all their best to win.
Complaining but still keep going the same way is the biggest of all problems. Compromizes need to be done to change things but also have at least 70%of the peopke be willing to do so, and not 12. Steady income over fast profits.
If we dont wanna see prices drop on certain things why keep the shops drop and drop prices, why complain about it then at all? Its not a solution peps, set a bar and stop there and keep it there. If we all sell fibrous at 20and buy at 13 (just an example) and leave the bar there that will be the price for it, but then you complain about no competition, well work whit gatherers handtrade and make your extra coin that way. Gets you discounts and keeps the set prices at the bar. Not selling a product. Handtrade it to someone for the minimum to get your coin back. All this can keep coin circulating. Real life economys, countrys do it like this and that, bla bla yadda yadda. Its a game and will only work as good as we all cooperate whit each other and nothing else. I belive in this community to be able to do it.

That is not how foot fall works. It is once per character per 24 days/server reset. So you have 10k prestige you only ever get 20c, regardless of how many actual steps they take on your land

Iā€™m imagining 10 alts and each one has a single plot of the road. So one person runs down and you get 20c for each alt, totaling 200c per visitor. Above ground itā€™s a dumb road, right below is your ā€œgold access roadā€ where you can collect from all the beacons and pass them from alt to alt in a request basket. And below that is your prestige vaults.

If that works you can then repeat it for the next stretch of 10 plots. On and on

2 Likes

You would have to build them on other planets, or have long stretches between them, if they are in the same settlement they donā€™t count either. And what is the incentive for someone to use your road? I find myself not using them most of the time even grappling over buildings at times. I have rarely found any road in such a convient placeā€¦ Even over lava, only ever used one once that did that. So idk that kind of exploit would be too detrimental (and we have a 10 character limit so not easy to scale it up even more)

Ah that caps it to 10x per settlement then. So 200c/visitor passive income. And itā€™s easy to get people to run down your road! Just pile some coils at the end of it next to a beacon with the fire obscured. :joy: For real though, itā€™s not hard to build roads that ppl use. Plenty of higher tier planets still do not have road systems leading away from portal hubs.

1 Like

Can we at least wait until footfall is fixed since it was never suppose to be every 24 days but rather every 24 hours. All these threads popping up about economy solutions is getting tiresome to read through; at least personally it is. We have a broken economy because currently the main currency generator is broken and everything was fine when it wasnā€™t.

The thing I find rather amusing is people seem to wonder why money isnā€™t flowing like it use to. Well if thereā€™s a perceived very limited amount of money out there (which there is with a large waiting period between cash injections), then it makes sense for people to slow down on purchases with their coin. It makes sense completely for the fact that tax rates would vaporize peopleā€™s coin reserves faster than they or anyone can realize.

If coin purchases of anything higher than 8c continued happening at the rate they were before footfall was discovered to be broken and not rewarded players every 24 hours, then weā€™d have a coin shortage. That would lead to players having less motivation to play cause it would mean an increased perceived amount of time to keep their projects going if they require regular short bursts of coin to finance. Shop owners probably would go on hiatus periods from the game, which means any coin reserves they have get essentially shelved and taken out of circulation.

This idea that the game needs a complete overhaul of the gameā€™s economy to go to a barter system is pretty bad. I donā€™t want to start spamming discord or these forums with WTT topics just so I can trade my smart stack of iron ore or bars for something else or even gems for something else. I much rather have a very reliable medium of exchange so that the value of items is a lot easier to measure and track. I also donā€™t want developers having to rework shop stands and request baskets just to accommodate for that overhaul. I do want that barter system functionality added to shop stands and request baskets so shop owners that want to run a shop like that have the ability to. Adds another layer of complexity to the economy since it will drive that bartering style to using an item (probably Rough Oort or Oortshard) to being that currency since itā€™s the most liquid item in the game. Also, that added functionality would cause more foot traffic across the entire game. People would literately run around more looking for a good deal. So even sites like BoundlessSkill wouldnā€™t impact the economy in any negative way but only supplement it.

So to me I think throwing away one system for another system is a step backwards instead of just incorporating both into the same one. You want to hand trade still? Go ahead. Shopkeep for coin? Also fine. Shopkeep items for items? I think thatā€™s a cool addition to the economy. Want to do all three? Now youā€™re a hardcore shopkeeper, congrads.

What I do think is that footfall needs to have its cooldown fixed so itā€™s back to what it originally was on a timer: every 24 hours or per server reset.

The best solution is always one that is going to favor all players and not just some who do certain specific tasks over others.

In the mean time, this is a great time to stockpile stuff in a warehouse before footfall is fixed. That way you can keep shop inventories stocked full easier on a daily basis. :+1:

Just some random thoughts. Sorry if itā€™s off topic. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the same thing is discussed pretty much every time and typically the same solutions or lack thereof are mentioned again and again and again.

4 Likes

Sir, thatā€™s called a broken record.

2 Likes

I agree that I wish they would just fix the code or make it like every 72hrs or something. Anywho, other options for shop stands is interesting. Maybe an auction function that you set a timer and price and let people bid it up (could also be interesting in knowing what people were willing to pay for things).

2 Likes

Yes, an automated timer would be nice. Right now you have to do it manually and thatā€™s more of a chore than it is fun. Thatā€™s also part of running a shop too. Well anything thatā€™s a business or simulation of one. Itā€™s the unfun and boring stuff that make the difference between success and failure.

1 Like

Also a big fan of item limits per character. Iā€™d really like to price items even lower to attract and help out lower level players, but if I sink below a threshold Iā€™m often bought out by 1 character.

1 Like

I wish they would just fix footfall because the economy worked like a well-oiled machine back then.

1 Like

The devs fixed regen. Forging got out of hand. Footfall broke. Those 3 things imo are the culprits. New planets now are just going to exacerbate the problem because everything is plentiful.
Also were far too many shops tbh

3 Likes

I see nothing wrong with being able to craft what you sat down to craft in the forge. I see no reason why all AoE hammers in the future need to come with herpes aka quirksā€¦

We have some economics majors in this group! Everyone here has brought up excellent points and ideas. Very applaudable.i enjoy reading everyones take on the situation!

Iā€™d like to put in a cent or two into this conversation. Something to think about anyhow.

I wish there was a way to know which shop owners are still playing the game, and which ones have bailed in the last couple weeks. Not beacons, cause Iā€™m on every day but typically wait till I get the pop up for them that it needs fuel. So that way is a good start,but can be too variable.

If I knew which shops still had frequent players, Iā€™d be more apt to spend my money there. Where there lies a possibility of it getting cycled around. Opposed to the guy I just spent around 10k on for various crafting supplies who might not ever even grab the cash if he doesnā€™t play. (My apologies if that is you)

2 Likes

I have finally set up a shop that buys reasonable and sells 1-2c higher to cover tax. Iā€™m buying everything, although I havenā€™t set up all the baskets yet. Itā€™s expensive to start, and Iā€™m no millionaire! Iā€™m putting my foot in to help new players by buying even stuff I donā€™t actually need. If you donā€™t want or cannot yet set up a store and operate a portal, people can sell at my place and not feel ripped off. Still adjusting prices- I got slammed with flint over the weekend! No one ever needs that much flint!

3 Likes

We desperately need better, alternative ways of earning coin. My suggestions:
Bounties on NPCs (similar to EVE or WOW)
Rare treasure chests
re-work footfall

3 Likes

Hope they fix footfall or something tomorrow. Not being able to consistently buy/sell stuff blows.

1 Like

I would agree that there needs to be other methods for coin to get into the economy than footfall.

If we do need more coin then I would think the current footfall model is not the answer. Currently footfall (once fixed) goes to the beacons that get player traffic. This is great where it helps to support portal hubs. But as far as giving all other players coin, it fails. There is a wide range in the amount of footfall players get between those close to or owning a portal hub and those that do not have a build near a portal or settlement.

It is one thing for a player that gets 10K footfall a day to buy a tool for 30K and to be able participate in the economy through passive activity. Another player that gets only 500 or less coin per day in footfall can grind to try and sell to get the coin to buy expensive tools and maybe participate in the economy or simply make everything themselves. A player that gets passive footfall income, can get that income plus is still free to grind and craft and sell. This means they are competing with the player that has no passive income and has to grind, craft and sell to get any coin at all. Does this artificially keep the prices low for the items they both are making? Since the first player has other sources of income, do they care as much about the price for their goods? In any case, does this all create a situation where you have a large group of players with no significant passive income? Do these players then decide to either make everything themselves or participate through barter with friends and avoid the economy entirely.

I think the assumption that fixing the current footfall bug will cure the economy is not what will happen. Players have found that they can do it themselves at this point and right or wrong, feel that there is a group that has unlimited income they might not feel capable of competing with anyway.

1 Like