Dev economy goal question

thats exacly what i think

every profession should be able to generate money, not just the ppl that just where the first nearby a new portal hub that dropped down plots next to them.

1 Like

I would agree. There needs to be a way to reward all players with enough coin to participate in the economy or it will continue the way it is.

I disagree because I readily made tons of coin selling everything before footfall broke. I don’t mind selling to the rich if they’re paying well - which they were!

The economy worked before footfall broke. Sure, some people had more power than others but why would I expect to be top of the foodchain when I’m putting in casual levels of effort? I don’t understand all the pitchfork and torch marching on the portal hub owners. I :heart: portal hubs.

5 Likes

I am not faulting the hubs or the people that operating them. They need a way to run the hubs and footfall is really one of the only ways for them to do it. Of course, they could get footfall for every player that goes through a portal instead of crossing the beacon, but that is a discussion for another day.

My issue is you create such an imbalance that some players feel they cannot participate as they do not have 100k in coin every week to spend how they want. They do not necessarily want to grind and then search for a place to sell at a reasonable price to a request basket. I think the real danger at this point might be, we have shown players that they do not have to participate in the economy in order to play the game. They can make items themselves or work as a group to get what they want. I think unless you find a way for all players to gain some coin without requiring significant effort (like the passive income from footfall for some not all players), you are never going to get the level of participation in the economy that so many seem to want.

2 Likes
  • cough * planetary auction house * cough *

BOOOOO!

What!? Who said that??

3 Likes

As someone who came into the game in September. With my daily 100 coin I am only able to travel once via Sanctuary. It costs me about 1000+ coin a day to travel around and do things and this is even with using the portal systems. The terrain on the planets are too annoying to travel around on foot so I do a mix of sanctuary to portal hubs that get me across the universe. After a day of playing I usually have no money to buy anything from any shops, too busy spending my money traveling to my own builds and projects. I guess when I’m completed my projects I can start to save but as it stands now no. I feel if they just changed the daily coin to 1000 things will be much more comfortable for the new players that start the game off with low funds. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Participating in the economy is relative. If you provide everyone with free money from playing the game, that amount quickly becomes worthless. Nothing has a set price, and as such, all high end items will fluctuate with the economy.

1 Like

Herpes would be defects, quirks are more like mild asthma. Or far-sighredness.

To OP, If footfall meant that the rich would start shopping again, then i can get coin in to fund baskets, and lower players can come get some coin off starter world drops like milk and dirt and wood. To get rich they’ll need to farm a bit higher, but i value my time and pay accordingly. Baskets currently set below what i think stuff is worth because no sales mean low need for items…

This is a problem, this is in fact the core problem. Economies don’t grow from the top down. The whole thing has seized up exactly because the economy is built on unstable footing.

Unless we are talking about a Zimbabwe scenario (items cost 10,000c in the morning and 1,000,000 that night, repeat every day adding a few more 00s), this is a good thing (at least in the real world, it should be here, too). A small amount of inflation means that money gains velocity as people don’t want to sit on it and let it devalue. Money in the hands of more people gets spent, and the whole economy picks back up. If that means that the prices go up slightly month-over-month, so be it.

1 Like

I don’t want an auction house, I like that the players have to innovate and solve the search problem themselves. The existing structure of our shopping hubs do not facilitate finding what you want, be it request basket or plinth. That’s not a flaw in the game, that’s a business opportunity for better shopping hub layouts. Compare the convenience of Code Gleam portal network to finding gleam via PS or Ultima. Innovate!

Even with that solved the economy won’t be fixed. New players have little way of getting income past the tutorial quests. Any farmed item is valued at the effort it takes to gather via 3x3 gem hammer as gems have demonstrated. You can now find gems for 100c-200c. Imagine getting a handful of them via silver/gold tier tools or even iron. You’d dig all day for a few thousand coins. New players are a magnitude less efficient at farming and can’t gather materials as their primary source of income. It’s always quicker for a high lvl character to switch to their power leveled alt who can mine ten thousand rocks in an hour. Wanting to keep 3x3 AoE and fix the economy are conflicting goals. Notice how oortstone has held its value this whole time since it’s the one thing you can’t instafarm with AoE.

The game needs daily/weekly coin drips that every player can earn on equal footing. The amount dripped won’t mean as much to veteran players but it gives new players a way into the economy.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about a small amount of inflation, but eitherway it makes no difference. People want the devs to “fix” an economy the devs have no part in. They don’t set prices. As long as the devs don’t change the coin sinks to make up for however many millions people want added a day through easy coin generation, more power to them. Doesn’t change the fact that most casual players will still not be able to afford anything that is high tier without farming for an hour or so after a few days.

I have gone back to not being part of the economy. Makes reading these posts more interesting when you have no skin in the game.

The problem is that most shopping hubs are portal based, and you have to be within interaction distance of the shopping stands to see what prices are (or interact with them if you are looking at forged gear). Better layouts aren’t going to solve those inefficiencies, and those are significant burdens to going on shopping trips. Additionally, this creates an extra barrier for sellers as they have to go confirm what they want to farm is selling, go get it, and then sell it, or they risk not being able to sell their day’s work. I have a longer post formulating that I may put up in the next few days about my overall thoughts on the economy, but I think if you added as auction house while also playing with the tax rate on the shop stands/buy baskets, you can have both side-by-side and both would add value to the economy.

But they do have a part, the devs “print the money” so to speak. Currently, their printing press is broken, but I (and others) are also pointing out that their method of getting the coin into the economy has been broken since day 1.

Yesss. Although, farming oort with a durable hard hitting shotgun does go significantly smoother than with dual wielding iron bows on a tier3…

I’d like to add surface resources to the “more stable” pile as you still pay for them in time… although the atlas has dropped their value considerably due to much easier farming of most. Seems what’s good for the individual isn’t always good for the economy

I think they will! These sell everything Walmart layouts are not as easy to shop in than the stores that focus on a few themed items with good signage. Here’s some innovative store layouts I’ve seen.

The stone shop where each plinth is surrounded by a shrine showing you all the decorative blocks using that color stone.

The forge stores where the signage organizes tools by what tier planet they are good for. Even stores that list the boons on a sign are providing convenience over inspecting the item.

An open market ran by a collective where one stall has food, another brews, another tools, etc. And one big area in the middle named coin converters with all the request baskets. This is basically a better Walmart layout as each department is clearly demarcated and cared for by an individual floor manager. The layouts cater to the item type rather than a global store aesthetic.

Food and drink stores which group items by effect and use signs to let you shop at a glance.

The innovation is happening at the shop level. What we’re still missing is a portal hub with high standards to curate these stores and efficiently direct us to them. Or even a settlement promising the same. It’ll happen. IMO the portal networks should focus on what they do best - connecting all the planets. And delegate the player portal curation to someone else who can spend 100% of their energy on it.

2 Likes

Because you don’t agree with the method doesn’t mean it is wrong. Once they fix footfall, there will be money pouring into the game again based on population not time spent. Which I find as a good system.

Any form of coin generation that is easily farmable is too much for this type of game. Especially if it comes in the form of mobs and broken blocks. It would just change it from effort and location to pure daily playtime to be on top.

In hindsight, would you call the US economy in 1926 strong? Because that is roughly were we are with footfall working. The wealthy are extremely so and driving most of the economic action while those at the bottom make due on the scraps they can. This isn’t sustainable. Further, it has nothing to do with “effort” as you put it, the effort has already been done. It’s now just purely passive. Also, there are ways to implement it such that linear time spent doesn’t equal linear money gained. Just because you can’t imagine an active system doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

The system needs to feed money to everyone, not just major hub owners. If you would rather do that by redistribution of footfall instead of some form of (probably capped by account) active system, fine. But the system will fail again, even with working footfall, at some point in the future if nothing changes about how the money is distributed.

I have a feeling this will come later on when the “shopping world” opens. Maybe i’m reaching a bit on this because I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere. But somewhere in the menu tab, under the worlds list i believe, you see the world tax rate. I imagine in the future a world will be introduced where the tax rate is less than the standard 10%. Thats when we’ll see more dedicated shopping hubs.

I’d settle for working as intended (as in fix the line of code that broke footfall). 10 minutes of effort, but unfortunately there is a war on footfall.

2 Likes

Listen, if you think maintaining a network is easy, go build one. Apparently you and others find timers and people issues trivial so go cash in on the easy money. I’m growing tired of listening to people complain about some elses hard work as if it is trivial. Its an everyday job and requires upkeep for the handful of people that take care of them.

By effort I was talking about farming stuff to sell to others. And you can make plenty of footfall by being part of a settlement. I was making 10-12k a day on release being in a very low traveled spot.

No matter what you do, someone with more time, skill, or experience will be ahead of you. The fact it is a game helps compound it. No matter what you do there will always be the rich and poor, and anything you do to give money to the poor will always give more money to the rich.

Edit: I think we are at that agree to disagree moment, so I’m going to drop it now. Have a great boundless day LM.

1 Like

Occupy Boundless viva la vie 99%!