DEVS a Question about rental planets

Yeah, and if we can not choose our own colours and someone hits the jackpot with black gleam or some other block colour people crave they will lock up the planet and there will be no way for the rest of us to counter it…

So, best way is colour choice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ok question if the Devs use world builder could they make the surface/crust of the planet pure ice at elevation 220-223… all soil rock etc elevation 1-7, gleam all 8-11, the ocean at elevation 15, and nothing but AIR between elevations 16-219?

I think a full customization of private worlds should be possible only for disconnected ones (creative mode).

For connected private worlds a limited customization should be just fine (the same rules for everyone).

Players would have a choice of important options like:

• world name (to avoid controversy and policing as well as to keep planet names in line with existing name typology, I would prefer this to be randomly generated, but players would get 10 generated names to chose from to at least pick something they like more)
    I would enjoy naming my own world and even naming all regions - but there would be need for submitting and accepting of names by devs, so time and man power would be required to do that.
  • world tier
  • world type (lush, metal, coal)
  • altitude range (not necessarily exact values; might be just type: flat, low, medium, high altitude)
  • water or lava on surface
  • altitude of surface water/lava
  • list of blocks available (simple tick on/off from a list of all possible blocks: so tangle, ash, sponge or whatever one might not be interested in can be ticked off)
  • color palette (not specific colors per block - those would be randomly assigned from list of colors tied to the palette chosen by world’s owner)
  • biomes (players would have a list of biomes available and would be able to pick a few, let’s say anything between 1 and 6: can you imagine a world made of just 1 type of terrain? that would be funny)
  • prefabs - again, a list of prefabs available from which players pick what they want (that would be divided into categories: trees, rock, gleam etc.)

So, I imagine this as players entering some data for devs to run world generator (at that stage random factors decide about actual colors of blocks, world name, how biomes are combined).

1 Like

There’s not really a pure translation of values from heightmap noise to in-game elevation (that I know of). But using threed and constant noise with strata and whatnot, yes, this or something close to it is very possible.

“Allowable” as a publicly connected world is another question entirely. Having just gleam from 8-11 seems questionable to me.

1 Like

Lol, yeah true, I would actually love it if we had total freedom, but I could understand the devs are not since they originally designed it to be restrictive like that…

Well, no, just that I understand they want to stick to it and that in my opinion certain headache inducing colours just feel weird :slight_smile:

But am ok if they open it up completely tho!

3 Likes

well seeing how there would only be land UNDER the water where else would it be? The gleam lol…it will also provide some “illumination” near the water so it is really a functional location. The ice at the top of the world is what creates the cavern effect

My concern isn’t with where it’s located so much as it being the only thing referenced in your 8-11 layer. Conveniently 3 blocks high with no other blocks around it? You could literally farm from one end of the planet to the other.

I’m not bashing the idea or what you’re going for. It sounds awesome (although I think in practice there might some rendering issues with the top layer being visible, I know Nevir reported some issues like this when making massive caverns several years ago). But sounds good for a creative world, not quite for a public world.

Sorry, that is different that advocating for it. My misunderstanding.

Edit: I can take the developers wanting to keep it up with them

1 Like

Yeah I forgot that little tidbit :rofl:

I do wonder, @james, @rossstephens, @lucadeltodecso, how does regen work?

What I mean is, does a server planet have a complete copy of the entire planet in it’s original form somewhere and during regen the server looks up what block used to be where?

Or is it using the same algorithm with the same seed during initial planet generation to calculate what block should be where?

I am assuming it’s the second one, right? Makes the most sense to me actually.

But if that is not the case then we could change an entire planet block by block before we lock it as being the pristine copy of that planet and if regen starts it will go back to that form…

My main concern is that after reading this thread the devs are going to take their ideas and work on rental worlds and just…

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Replace that colour with a new one!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

It is my understanding that changing the colors on a world is not that complicated compared to generating the world with all of its biomes and prefabs.

While rendering it’s probably just a palette lookup?

This is how it works in world builder. I can’t speak to how the devs build worlds.

they will most likely stop reading to remain sane :grin:

1 Like

The only thing i want is a rental planet with kindling mass spawns. But i have a feeling that will likely remain exo specific to give people a reason to keep going to exos along with lucent gems.

But I feel everyone should accept the fact that color scarcity will no longer be a thing when rental planets become available. And people also shouldn’t expect a “monopoly” on certain colors. If we can choose colors, players will make those rare, in demand colors public for everyone. If no one else will, I will get a black gleam planet and make it public so gg there.Even if colors are chosen at random, eventually we will have all the colors we want. I’m sure I won’t be the only person opening their world to everyone to visit freely.

4 Likes

You have gleam ■■■■■ (b a l ls loldarn censor!) that are far easier to farm! I did not mean a SOLID gleam layer…just randomly tossed in there here and there…maybe 1 or 2 gleam per plot…not 1000 :wink: …and remember there WILL be an ocean so this will be underwater…

I say it is something we should try… arent you tired of the same old planets?

Apologies my friend, this made it seem like gleam was all that was going to be at 8 to 11.

I’ve personally always been against regen bombs so I guess it’s just me. But I know water breathing is possible so I’m not sure why it matters that it’s underwater. Yes you can make it so gleam is only here and there just fine.

Personally planning to get 3-4 (possibly more) planets that are whitelisted only b/c I hate how exploitative this game is (and how much of that is due to what I can only think is the lack of a standard test case to check chrysominter values on new items). Looking forward to getting a handful of folks from my wow guild in and really working on the PvE aspects of this game (hoping titans and hunters and wearables and lances and shields, etc. aren’t too far off :star_struck:) without taking part in the global economy that has so many issues from bomb mining and the subsequent nerf at launch to gleam doors to spark farming, etc.

Of course this is assuming rental worlds might launch prior to Shadowlands pre-release. B/c if not then…:peace_symbol:

1 Like

I don’t care about the details of exactly how it’s implemented…I just want a planet of my own so I can RULE THE WORLD!!!

image https://media1.tenor.com/images/6c1d770856e411831953d82f21d02265/tenor.gif?itemid=13674861

7 Likes

… Makes me think, if Viceroy is obtainable on the rentals, how it might feel if someone I let in took the title from me on a world I was paying for. :laughing: Well, I’d probably just laugh actually, but I’d still tease them. Maybe the renter should get a separate title… :thinking: “Supreme Ruler of the World!”

2 Likes