DEVS a Question about rental planets

I understand the definiition but she is advocating to restrict colors on lush planets.

What she feels is weird might be what someone else that is paying real money for a planet might want. And why not if they are paying for it?

4 Likes
  1. and 3. is, as far as I know, something that you can do, heck they are working on a World Control that is used to set permissions like who can plot.

Colour choice I have no idea what their plans are. if it follows the creative mode thing when not using pre-made worlds you had to download you can see we choose a tier and type of planet (T5 chill for instance) and can then change the colour of every single item that the game supports.

I am hoping it will be something like that except of generating a flat world like in creative mode it will generate a normal looking world (flat world was done because randomly generating a world takes a lot of time, a flat world can be done quickly).

Totally fair man, missed that, my apologies.

Honestly still just crying to myself that James decided not to post some clarifications :sob::rofl:

2 Likes

But why would it need to be on creative for a couple of months? Rent a planet, look at what you want to change, restrict any and all access, and start to reform the planet block by block to how you want it to look. Then once you’re happy with it remove the access restrictions.

Why the need to use creative mode for it? To save a few months of rent?

#1 if you do not have it plotted it would Regen…

#2 it would take you years to make a mountain or clear an ocean :wink:

You’d have to plot it anyway. I’m like 99% sure world regen works off of config files and that the world builder program is not capable of taking something manually built and saving it to a config for noise, for example.

Edit: with a technical exception being image noise. Wanted to throw that in there before someone throws semantics at me :rofl:

1 Like

Waiting a year longer for rental worlds without ANY other releases of significance until then will also make people un-happy.

It’s something they need to be careful with, they need to do enough to make many of us happy with the initial rollout but not overdo it.

As much as I want rental planets I kinda hope they do not spend too much time on things that are not going to be used a lot, while things like Titans will be used by way more people and also more than once…

I don’t want to be in their shoes to decide these things!

3 Likes

That sounds like an excellent idea! For sometime later down the line…

1 Like

Yes I fully support a blueprint and mod addon!

I think @nevir tried to host some prefabs and other config files on github a while ago. I think a wonderstruck developed/hosted prefab sharing resource would be neat (a la Spore in my mind, I’ve never played creativerse) but should be super super low priority as like Aenea is saying, not many folks are going to use prefabs compared to titans or wearables or shields, etc.

1 Like

@schasm

I do think most of the things you want should be possible, your bullet points I mean for connected planets at least (which is what I’m mostly interested in).

But lots of customisation options comes with lots of screens and perhaps additional programs or websites which take a lot of time to make so I understand them to be reluctant to spend maybe a year on all of that to then notice that only a few people are using it.

Plus it’s something that we will be using only once or twice, only when we want a new rental world.

I understand the want for all of it and would love it if they can provide us with it but seeing the size of the team and all the things they still want to implement I do not see it happening.

I do see them changing it up over time tho, improving on it once it’s proven to give them a nice chunk of income and if they make something like blueprints so we don’t have to rebuild stuff when we upgrade our planets then there’s no harm in it…

1 Like

I agree they are in a tough place. But players have to spend real money on an ongoing basis for rental planets. Titans are not going to cost players anything after the initial cost of the game. So even if it is not used alot (which is a different discussion especially if we get the ability to create our own universes), I do think they need to get it as right as possible the first time.

All this being said, I do not think they should wait a year to release them. If they have to say they are releasing an initial version but will refine it over time, I am ok with that. But they cannot then say the limited number of players that are renting is too low to justify spending more time to come out with a more complete/better version. I know if I am not happy with an initial release and there is any indication of future tweaks, I will wait and not spend any money until it is a system I am happy with.

2 Likes

I think the only thing I’d insist on controlling being able to ban any warm yellow rocks/gleam from my planet!

2 Likes

Yeah, and if we can not choose our own colours and someone hits the jackpot with black gleam or some other block colour people crave they will lock up the planet and there will be no way for the rest of us to counter it…

So, best way is colour choice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ok question if the Devs use world builder could they make the surface/crust of the planet pure ice at elevation 220-223… all soil rock etc elevation 1-7, gleam all 8-11, the ocean at elevation 15, and nothing but AIR between elevations 16-219?

I think a full customization of private worlds should be possible only for disconnected ones (creative mode).

For connected private worlds a limited customization should be just fine (the same rules for everyone).

Players would have a choice of important options like:

• world name (to avoid controversy and policing as well as to keep planet names in line with existing name typology, I would prefer this to be randomly generated, but players would get 10 generated names to chose from to at least pick something they like more)
    I would enjoy naming my own world and even naming all regions - but there would be need for submitting and accepting of names by devs, so time and man power would be required to do that.
  • world tier
  • world type (lush, metal, coal)
  • altitude range (not necessarily exact values; might be just type: flat, low, medium, high altitude)
  • water or lava on surface
  • altitude of surface water/lava
  • list of blocks available (simple tick on/off from a list of all possible blocks: so tangle, ash, sponge or whatever one might not be interested in can be ticked off)
  • color palette (not specific colors per block - those would be randomly assigned from list of colors tied to the palette chosen by world’s owner)
  • biomes (players would have a list of biomes available and would be able to pick a few, let’s say anything between 1 and 6: can you imagine a world made of just 1 type of terrain? that would be funny)
  • prefabs - again, a list of prefabs available from which players pick what they want (that would be divided into categories: trees, rock, gleam etc.)

So, I imagine this as players entering some data for devs to run world generator (at that stage random factors decide about actual colors of blocks, world name, how biomes are combined).

1 Like

There’s not really a pure translation of values from heightmap noise to in-game elevation (that I know of). But using threed and constant noise with strata and whatnot, yes, this or something close to it is very possible.

“Allowable” as a publicly connected world is another question entirely. Having just gleam from 8-11 seems questionable to me.

1 Like

Lol, yeah true, I would actually love it if we had total freedom, but I could understand the devs are not since they originally designed it to be restrictive like that…

Well, no, just that I understand they want to stick to it and that in my opinion certain headache inducing colours just feel weird :slight_smile:

But am ok if they open it up completely tho!

3 Likes

well seeing how there would only be land UNDER the water where else would it be? The gleam lol…it will also provide some “illumination” near the water so it is really a functional location. The ice at the top of the world is what creates the cavern effect

My concern isn’t with where it’s located so much as it being the only thing referenced in your 8-11 layer. Conveniently 3 blocks high with no other blocks around it? You could literally farm from one end of the planet to the other.

I’m not bashing the idea or what you’re going for. It sounds awesome (although I think in practice there might some rendering issues with the top layer being visible, I know Nevir reported some issues like this when making massive caverns several years ago). But sounds good for a creative world, not quite for a public world.