DKPoll and discussion: should clothing-like paint go in the game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Only one vote per human being please.

Also while we are here: should the devs add another row of inventory space for the boundless anniversary? Or after private planets are released, if it would be too time consuming to do now. Just as a general idea.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

should clothing go in the game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

Iā€™d rather have actual clothing but iā€™d be happy with clothing-like paint as well.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much my stance.

I think diversity of options is good too

2 Likes

I think everyone would prefer actual clothing. But for now. Anything added is a huge plus. Also some of the clothing paints look pretty darn good in game. So Im for it.

7 Likes

I worry that introducing painted clothing would reduce pressure on the devs to prioritize proper clothing since it would be half-fixed. Iā€™m new here, so I donā€™t know how these devs tend to do things, but I know where I work, half-fixed issues are likely to be pushed down the roadmap.

5 Likes

Itā€™s not likely we will get actual clothing until at least 2022.

Iā€™m not saying Majorā€™s design should go in the game as-is, but something like it but better could work (no offense major haha)

No offense taken. It def needs to be fixed. Iā€™ll re-work the design so that it looks decent.
Have been super busy irl. Lots going on. (as Iā€™m sure is the case for a lot of ppl right now)

Why would painted clothes reduce the need for actual clothing and armor? The devs are not stupid by any means. They wouldnā€™t just ditch one of the most asked for feature of the game because of some paint. And besides, some people legitimately like the painted on clothing designs. Itā€™s still fun cosmetically speaking. I understand they could add a tux suit as wearable clothing, but I doubt they would put a bunch of cosmetic clothing before real functional armor. I feel painted clothing works well for those interesting clothing pics that are a little more ā€œsillyā€ like tuxes, or the boss baby outfit. While the actual clothing and armor is gonna be more, ā€œtribalā€ for the clothing and more functional for the armor. Why is it one or the other? Why would paint detract from the need for clothing in any way? I think the devs have the capacity to see we want both and will work on both the exact same amount they already are.

4 Likes

:100::100::100:

But they are right it does take some of the ā€œpressureā€ off

That said, the pressure hasnā€™t done anything for 2 years so I donā€™t think paint will change that

1 Like

I mean more like if Minyi and Jess made a version of yours Iā€™m sure itā€™d look amazing - not that yours is bad per se

As paint or clothes?

Because itā€™s easy to imagine someone posting requesting or discussing clothing and people coming in and saying ā€œThis paint clothing is great, I love it and donā€™t need armor - that would just ruin my tux paint by covering it up.ā€

I can also imagine a meeting where the devs are planning to add clothing, but a stakeholder goes, ā€œWell, they already got paint tuxes, and requests for clothing is down since then, so letā€™s work on this other thing firstā€

From what I can tell, development on this game moves pretty slow - which means that prioritization is king. If clothes are currently scheduled for 2022, I would guess that paint clothing would eventually push it to ā€œon the tableā€. Not necessarily right away, but at some point in the future.

1 Like

Nono itā€™s not scheduled for 2022 or anything Iā€™m just saying itā€™s a long way off. I donā€™t think there are any current active plans to add clothing.

There had better be plans somewhere along the line, as itā€™s one of the early access backer perks for Adventurer and up to be able to craft an exclusive wearable (not be given a non-craftable headpiece in a cosmetic shop).

Still waiting on stuff like this to be addedā€¦

2 Likes

Even then, the idea is still the sameā€¦ If itā€™s next on the roadmap, then paints might push it back behind titans or whatever is next. You seem to understand the idea thoughā€¦ If you get a little snack of painted clothes, your hunger for clothes is likely to get pushed back a bit.

Asking for painted clothes is fine, but it should be known that itā€™s a form of settling and saying, ā€œYeah, I guess we might never get proper clothing, Iā€™ll be okay with paint instead.ā€ I donā€™t have ā€œwaiting for feature fatigueā€ here, so my opinions are undoubtedly different from the standard here, though.

1 Like

Never saw these
Very cool

Iā€™d prefer to wait for actual clothing, maybe paint clothing would delay that as it might be seen as a ā€˜temp fixā€™?

But I got nothing against painted on clothes as long as it makes sense to the Boundless universe

2 Likes

Paints are just cosmetic. For that reason alone, I have zero worries about this.

They have already started designing shields and some other things. The devs are smartā€¦thereā€™s no way theyā€™d forgo actual armor & clothing, just because they start accepting awesome, fun paint designs from the community.

Users have been creating mods for awhile -hoping the game would one day allow user-submitted ones like other games do. Paints are a good 1st step. Once we get rental/Creative planets, hopefully people can start creating/submitting 3D items, characters, blocks, creatures, etc. It sounds like thatā€™s the direction they may be heading.

BTW, welcome to Boundless :boundless:

Sometimes members here really push their views/preferences/theories/concerns/etc (me, included). There are a lot of smart, strong-minded, passionate people here :grin: :blush:

2 Likes

IMO, a smart dev works on the most beneficial thing to the game. Clothes are both functional and cosmetic, and if the cosmetic demand is reducedā€¦ Anyway, thatā€™s just beating the issue to death, Iā€™ve made my point.

Thank you for the welcome. Itā€™s easy to see, especially in that suggestions thread, that this is a fairly small community with a itā€™s own culture and lots of strong friendships and relationships. Forming strong opinions and being passionate is definitely expected in an environment like this.

3 Likes