DKPoll: Plots on sovereign worlds

What do you PERSONALLY want to see (your overall vote)

• Unlimited plots on sovereign worlds
  • 1000 plots per month on sovereign worlds
  • Sovereign worlds shouldn’t come with any plots

0 voters

What do you think would be most FAIR?

0 voters

What do you think would be best for the boundless COMMUNITY / get new players interested in the game?

0 voters

What do you think would SELL more private worlds?

0 voters

Irrespective of what you personally want, what do you think the MAJORITY wants?

0 voters

If sovereign worlds come with a fixed number of plots, what should that number be?

• Unlimited

0 voters

Would unlimited plots reduce sales of CUBITS?

• I have bought cubits and would continue to buy them
  • I have bought cubits and would no longer have a reason to
  • I have never bought cubits and I think other people wouldn’t buy them anymore
  • I have never bought cubits and I think other people would still buy them anyway

0 voters

If sovereign worlds come with unlimited plots, assuming that boundless will sell fewer cubits, do you think Boundless would make more or less MONEY overall (selling lots of worlds but not as many cubits) (assuming a private world costs $15-20)

• Boundless would make more money
  • Boundless would make less money

0 voters

If you buy a sovereign world and it doesn’t have unlimited plots, and later on creative worlds come out and DO have unlimited plots, what will you do?

• I’m buying a sovereign world and I would reclaim it and switch to creative
  • I’m buying a sovereign world and would buy a creative as well (both)
  • I’m buying a sovereign world and would not buy a creative world
  • I am not buying a sovereign world but will buy a creative
  • I am not buying a sovereign world and I think people would reclaim and switch
  • I am not buying a sovereign world and I think people would buy both
  • I am not buying a sovereign world and think people would keep their sovereign worlds and not buy a creative

0 voters

Feel free to post other suggested questions.

2 Likes

Suggesting question:

If sov. worlds came with a fixed number of plots, what would roughly be the right amount?

-Unlimited

I think seeing that distribution would be informative.

2 Likes

Good idea! Added.

1 Like

Can’t really vote on the last one without the pricing details from James :frowning:

2 Likes

Updated to add a presumed price of $15-20

I don’t think sovereign worlds should come with unlimited plots, not decided whether a welcome package of 1000 plots is a good idea.

My choice would be that plots remain earned normally (cubits, no matter if via leveling or buying), but a sovereign world owner would get an additional amount of sovereign plots (or, as someone else put it, regular plots would be mirrored for sovereign worlds).
So if I get 80 plots via cubits, I also get 80 sovereign plots that cannot be used on public worlds. Doesn’t matter how many sovereign worlds I have, I only get one package of sovereign plots (and equal to amount of normal plots I get).

No such option to vote for in the poll, so I didn’t vote.

6 Likes

I think players shouldn’t be worrying too much how game companies are making money. We should play game and company think how to make money & stay in business.

7 Likes

I agree. We should be more talking about what we WANT, let James figure out how to monetize it, that’s HIS job, just like we don’t need to worry about how to code our suggestions either (that’s Luca’s job)

3 Likes

I think there is a large misconception of what rental planets cost for the Devs and what they plan to offer it for and the “profit” they would make. I think they will be lucky to break even with the release of rentals considering the larger aspects of their infrastructure and costs and the overall game success so far.

4 Likes

I’ve come fully around to this:

If a world exists solely because an individual is paying the resource costs for it to exist, it’s reasonable that that individual should not have to pay per plot to build in it.

I don’t see how that’s ‘not fair’ as without that individual supporting the cost the world doesn’t exist :man_shrugging:

With that said I can understand some of the arguments for a single plot allowance regardless of world ownership/type. I had reasons to expect that plots would be required and the announcement conforms to those expectations.

Irrelevant, in my opinion. If they’re not pricing their software and (3rd party) services to cover costs they’re not doing anyone, us or them, a favor.

@DKPuncherello also I didn’t vote in one of the polls because I have bought cubits in the past and the fact that I really don’t have any reason to buy them any more isn’t swayed either way by rental worlds.

I think honestly I would be much happier buying cubits/plots for use on a public, permanent planet, knowing that if I had to let my sovereign world go the plots would likely be unnecessary for some time.

I personally don’t understand the point of the monthly bonus idea. That’s partly because for me I feel it would trigger more negative feelings if I ran into delays due to plotting than it would positive feelings to know they would be coming later. Due to that personal take I’m not really for or against the idea.

1 Like

Pretty sure Creative worlds won’t cost anything, as they won’t be connected to the live game

3 Likes

I just feel unlimited plot would remove the basic mechanic that the game is built on, where you level up to gain more plots to build more.

6 Likes

I think Xaldafax was actually saying what you are, that it’s irrelevant to consider profits when they might just be pricing them to maintain the servers, with healthy cushion, and that they aren’t creating sovereign worlds for profit but rather as another part of the game.

And I agree about the monthly bonus. I’m by no means against it but as it would only take 4 months to surpass my current total it would feel virtually unlimited to me but with a weird caveat.

The reasoning behind me preferring this, is that you’re paying for the world and those plots (in my eyes) when you get that monthly allowance of plots. I don’t have an issue with you eventually getting enough plots to plot your whole world. I don’t think a world’s worth of plots should come with your first month of renting a planet. Again how much would it cost to get that many plots? I forget the exact post but it was on the scale of tens of thousands of dollars to get a world’s worth of plots.

This monthly allowance, I look at it as, “okay. You’re paying a monthly payment. Part of it is for your rent, and part of it is for plots” so it’s fair and you get plots overtime by paying money just like everyone else. This is as opposed to just paying for your rental and starting off with no plot restrictions from the get go where I feel it’s just far too many plots to just get immediately. (I still think 1000 a month is too much but if that’s the best I’d get on a compromise I’d take it)

1 Like

That logic is sound. And yea even if it was just a couple hundred it would be nice. I’d count that as my monthly allowance to shape the world aside from my builds and wouldn’t feel like I’m wasting plots just to make a cliff cantilever more over an inlet.

If the devs came out and said we’re going with a monthly plot bonus I’d be :grin:

1 Like

Close… thank you…

I just think people shouldn’t be making statements on if this “makes them money or not” or having conversations around the finances of the game as a BASIS of their arguments on why something should be designed one way or another especially if they don’t have actual information around costs, etc.

It is a RELEVANT comment when I said what I did in the way I did when the poll includes details around this or when people use it in their arguments in other threads.

1 Like

They want creative to be connected btw. But you wouldn’t be able to bring anything there from live or take anything from there to live.

There’s offline creative, but supposedly there will be online creative too, where ppl can see your builds. I presume those would cost money.

2 Likes

Be interesting to see the mental gymnastics required to come to the conclusion that no extra plots would sell more sovereign planets than either unlimited plots or a set of 1000 plots.

4 Likes

Oh I was like Ovis and assumed Creative was disconnected from the MMO servers. Good to know though!!

But regardless, unlimited plotting will offer absolutely no advantage to a player renting a creative world due to this fact:

Personally I feel like I need some clarification on the upcoming world types as some of the wording and the polls lead me to believe that I have a different idea of what sovereign worlds are to others.

So this was my imagined version of how the worlds are supposed to be eventually… sometime in the hopefully not too distant future… These are all assumptions, not fact

MMO Worlds

• Free for anyone who has purchased the game to play.
  • Obviously as they stand now with exo worlds included in this category

Sovereign (rented) Worlds

• Paid for on a rental basis.
  • Connected to the MMO servers so therefore the EXACT same rulesets apply in order to give no advantage at all to a real cash paying customer. This includes plotting.
  • Player renting the planet has control over which players can access the planet and which players can place plots on this planet.
  • Severely limited customization options at creation in order to prevent the creation of perfect worlds/biomes for any resource whatsoever.
  • These planets are simply an extension/addition to the currently existing MMO universe that will add far more diversity and will eliminate/reduce a number of existing plotting issues between players.

Creative (rented) Worlds

• Paid for on a rental basis
  • Full customization options available in terms of biomes, block colours, mobs, etc.
  • A full world editor to easily terraform large scale.
  • Cheat menu enabled for flying, give item, etc, essentially a builders sandbox.
  • Full mod freedom to allow players to create essentially anything within the realms of modding capability.

Creative (offline) Worlds

• As above but free to play with the initial game purchase
8 Likes