DKPoll: Plots on sovereign worlds

Don’t those two points directly contradict each other?

1 Like

This is exactly how I envisioned it as well 100%

2 Likes

Essentially, yes. But this here is a fact:

This is why I feel the rulesets need to be exactly the same as in the MMO world though. So that any player controlled world cannot offer anything game breaking (probably an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

Pretty sure we will be getting two types of creative mode worlds, ones you run the server for at home and you can rent. Without the latter PS4 players would not be able to get a creative world…

Yeah, I do, I was mostly just be flippant… sorry. I’d be far more inclined to agree with you if we had full (assuming resource distribution remains at public-server levels) control of the planet, biomes, colours and all.

But I worry about the combination of a completely flat ‘no perks’ system and the very limited control over what your planet looks like. Unless the price point is really low, I’m not sure it’s going to be worth it for the majority of potential renters.

That would be pretty sad considering how much work has gone into making this an actual thing.

haha, thankyou for the clarification, I admit I did not detect, lol… but do not feel any need whatsoever to apologize as I’m guilty of writing entire essay length posts in fluent sarcasm so it’s almost like a taste of my own medicine.

But I’m pleased to see you are of the same opinion. I understand people’s desire for full control of everything, but the reality is… it just is not going to happen.

This is the one that I most want to have some increased control over. The colours I personally feel I have more than enough control over, each and every single block can be changed at world creation and the most visible blocks are going to be grass, trunks and foliage for which there are already a wide selection of pleasing colours (colours that I find pleasing) available.

What I do not want is terrain that does not appeal to me… but what exactly I find to be unpleasant terrain is beyond my ability to describe. But again I feel I have a reasonable amount of control considering the circumstances, planet type and tier will affect the biomes considerably and the overarching theme of the planet (surface water, desert regions, icy regions, etc). There is still a lot of room for less that ideal results though regardless, I admit.

User opinions will vary, you might be surprised how many people are simply looking forward to a planet of their own without too much thought to anything else. The forums are a place to voice opinions and I can almost guarantee you the most opinionated people at pre-update times are those that are not happy with the system and want it changed. Satisfied people rarely make a big noise about it.

But that is the point of testing and pre-release, to correct issues that break the game before release into the online world.

How often do you see the forums in an uproar at the crafting recipe for a new material or block… and then a few weeks down the track that uproar has died down to a whisper? Hopefully this will be the case with rental worlds, all we can do is wait and see.

2 Likes

Ever been to Kada?

1 Like

Yes, but how does one describe this to a computer generating terrain for me?

I’d say a huge part of my gameplay is focussed on earning cubits, if I had no reason to I think a lot of my motivation would be gone.

I’d vote for a welcome package of cubits I think

3 Likes

I would also like to add too much water. Also not a fan of lots of water with water forrests, ya know those trees in shallow water. If I then want to build there I have the annoying issue of needing to remove the trees, but also it’s on water…

Besides I rather then have just water!

I think I know what my ideal planet should look like! A lot like Trung actually without what I wrote above, and a lot more actual rivers. I like to make bridges over smallish rivers but there are non really on Trung… So basically Trung with a few changes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Under other circumstances I’d agree, but in terms of the Boundless forums, I’d actually dispute that satisfied players are less vocal. Wonderstruck appears to have as many vocal proponents of their work as it does vocal detractors. Beyond that, it’s also true that forums are heavily skewed to be populated by the more dedicated Boundless players.

What I’m seeing is as many long-standing, known players say they’ve been waiting for this for ages, but given its current state will be saving their money as I’m seeing ones saying that what we’re getting is fine just the way that it is. If that’s what the core of players are saying, It stands to reason (to me, at least) that the more casual players aren’t going to be more inclined to pay money for things.

1 Like

We also all kind of agree that the forums is a subset of hard core dedicated long term players.

Presumably new people will have different wants and needs than we do.

Meaning people who want unlimited plots? Or people who want colors? Or other.

1 Like

Agreed.

Any other time, sure, you are probably right. But I’ve always felt that very very few threads are created expressing satisfaction when it comes to patch pre-release time. And I know I am definitely one of those “vocal proponents”, absolutely I am, but so often I find myself trying to simply explain and reason as to why a certain thing simply cannot be the way a person wants it and as a result I am met with… displeasure… as a polite way of putting it.

Again in this case… I have no problem with being given unlimited plots myself, it won’t bother me in the slightest, I have everything I need resource wise on the existing planets and I will have a planet of my own to build on.

Maybe they will indeed add such a promotion, of either cubits or plots to encourage players to give up their hard earned money to rent a planet. I’d be happy if they just gave every single player of this game 1000 plots the day the patch is released, 100% balance that way.

1 Like

This is very well said. Even though I am not happy with the current system’s release, I don’t think the system they have set up for color selection is bad. I just that it’s going to take time for my guild and I to be able to set up colors on our worlds to complement our favorite building styles. I do wish they had greater terrain selection, and do see that as being more important than colors since I am willing to terraform an entire planet. I level faster than I can build, so it would just be a really long term project.

All in all, it’s going to be a good update for the game. It’s just not the update I waited since 2017 for…yet. In six months, once people have thrown hundreds/thousands of planets into the mix, it might be. Honestly, most of us that play will deal with pretty much anything and get over it. If not we wouldn’t be spending a large chunk of our lives on this game.

4 Likes

Just people that don’t think it’s worth the money right now, whether that be due to lack of customisation options or some other reason. In a way, I don’t think it matters why they don’t think it’s worthwhile all the while there’s not any discussion that involves the developers about how it could feel more worthwhile. We’ll just have to wait till we get pricing for that. (If it’s cheap enough, a limited customisation, no perks sovereign would still be worth it, for example).

For me, it’s lack of customisation. I believe unlimited plots is actually a logical step (given that a plot on a sovereign world != a plot on a public world) based on intended functionality, but am unconcerned whether a sovereign world bestows additional plots or not. I’ve got several thousand to play with, and given I’d still have to gather the resources or the coin to pay for them, I’m not going to have used all those plots any time soon. Not being able to pick biomes or colours on a world is the deal breaker for me, especially given the inability to change colours down the line once more have been ‘released’.

While there may be more threads created expressing concern, the voices actually in those threads seem pretty evenly split. And the thing is, if there is ever a good time for dissent, pre-launch is the time (given that we’re rarely engaged about pre-development concepts any more). It’s the point at which it’s not too late to make changes, to discuss ideas and alternatives. While Wonderstruck are under no obligation to listen to those ideas, now is the time to voice them.

As a reference, see my recent suggestion (Free home beacon warp for sovereign worlds) to change from warping to a home ‘beacon’ to warping to a home ‘location’. It makes logical sense and brings flexibility, allowing a ‘home’ to be on sovereign, but it’s basically gone unseen because (I’m guessing) that feature already exists in some form and it’d be more work to re-do it at this point than most people think is worthwhile.

Yeh that’s what I mean, won’t be connected economically

1 Like

I’m going to agree to agree, you’re probably quite right. I’'m as much a victim of my own perception as anyone else is of theirs.

And yes I do recall reading your original post I believe and your suggestion seemed well rounded and thought out, I think I saw it a with a few posts on the tail of it offering constructive criticism and I carried on. As you say, it seemed a reasonable and harmless request that offered convenience. I honestly didn’t feel passionately enough about the topic to comment whatsoever and I didn’t see any evidence of anyone (in particular the OP) saying anything that seemed unreasonable… and I carried on.

I’m one of those that grew up in a world where it wasn’t free to warp to my home beacon. I can always get home at a maximum cost of 100c from any planet so yeah… a different perspective of things led to my opinions once again.

I respect others opinions, and I share mine.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I feel you on that. I’ve been around since well before launch, so I remember the ‘good old days’.

1 Like

Apparently with voting i was most against the majority.

That said i voted from world owner perspective. Visitors should stay as is no added benefit only an extra “public” (resource) world.

Have to add if we have to use the plots we already own some if not most community builds will probably disappear. Because most owners will probably use the world more as a “public” world (free for all).

I would probably if/when i have my planet plot all i need + safety border so that if needed i can change the design. But 10.000 plots won’t be enough for all the mapping. The rest will be free for all.

Watching vote distributions of these polls is probably more interesting than the actual results. Both with this one and with the one about colours availability, after the first 50 or so votes the “more freedoms, not how the devs built it” opinion streaks into the lead. Then at some point through next day, you get a heavy influx of people who agree with the current developer ethos.

A cynical person could easily draw some pretty negative conclusions from that. But for purposes of fairness, I’ll just assume that people from different timezones are more likely to share opinions.