Free home beacon warp for sovereign worlds

I was reflecting on how to resolve the issue of the free home beacon warp for sovereign worlds to try and work out how sovereign worlds could work with it, when I realised that maybe the issue wasn’t those worlds, but was with the free warp system itself not being flexible enough. I know it’s non-trivial, but maybe it’s time to revise how the free warp feature works? Instead of warping to the predefined home beacon, could it instead warp to a stored location? You could then:

• Make it so players can only assign their ‘home’ location when they are at (or very near) that location, to prevent abuse through swapping (to mirror current ‘home’ functionality).
  • Assign players’ landing site as their first home, and make players unable to delete their current home location on the list, ensuring they will always have a home location to travel to.
  • Build supplemental systems to support edge cases. For example, if a person’s home location is on a planet that gets locked, you could automatically generate a new location at the capitol (or random location) on the public planet that the sovereign planet orbits, to give them somewhere to warp to.
2 Likes

Instead of your third point I think you could just expand the second point so that you cannot delete a location of a public world if it is the only public world location you have.

I think being able to freely change your home to any stored location sounds OP personally but it’s clear you’ve given it thought and I appreciate that!

2 Likes

You wouldn’t be able to do that. Re the first point, you’d have to actually be at the location (or within maybe 8 blocks for ease of use) to set it as your free warp location, so it wouldn’t really be any more OP than how the current home beacon thing works.

As for the third point… you might be right that it’s not required if people must maintain at least one location on the public worlds, I hadn’t considered that.

My thinking was mostly based on the idea that the current system requires a beacon be present and laid down, whereas locations can be granted automatically and not affect any other user. There’s just so much more scope to be extended. Like, in the future it could grant a free ‘temporary’ warp location to players who’s home in on a planet that is currently offline, for example, to prevent them from ever getting stuck that way either.

There’s also other potential benefits, like if cooldown-free skill page swapping could happen ‘near’ your home location in the same way that it currently happens in your home beacon right now… all of your alts can be ‘at home’ in your one big workshop.

@Stretchious, @majorvex or whoever else, is it possible to split out three non-consecutive posts (both mine and clexarews reply) into a separate suggestion thread to keep it from muddying this one?