DKPoll: what is considered respectful vs not respectful plotting

Ayyyeee nobody build on my planet please because I have beeeg plaaaans and when i can grind up another 327,482 plots i plan to plot the whole thing.

Violators will be reported. :angry:

5 Likes

Night. A good idea! You can spawn a T6 by plotting the whole thing >:D

Listen, bud. I should have enough plots to plot every planet by December 2120. I’m just letting everyone know in advance that I will be evicting you all at that time and renaming the Oortiverse “Peyago’s Playground”. You have all been warned for I have seen the future.

(Here is a picture all of us playing boundless in 2120. I also got my hair to grow back, the one in the middle is me.)

8 Likes

I’m definitely interested by how contact influences things.

Also I’m surprised so many voted “do not put this in the game” for #30-32, even if they wouldn’t build there. Curious to know why - do you guys think such mechanics would make people quit or something?

That’s equal to having to login to check on beacons or portals. It’s mandatory maintenance in a way (even if it technically isn’t). A lot of people only have a few hours a week to play and real life things come up - surprise soccer game, sick fam, biz stuff, etc…this is a game. It can’t require players to sign in everyday. It doesn’t feed or cloth anyone - it’s for fun & enjoyment.

Edit to add: I’ve actually played a couple of games that had this. If you hit day 258(for ie)…and something comes up so you miss a day…it makes you wanna quit the game if you lose stuff in any way. Not good.

3 Likes

Here are the reasons I wouldn’t want them in no particular order.

• It’s not casual friendly and caters to a very limited group of individuals.
  • All worlds in the official universe should follow the exact same ruleset for simplicity.
  • Might waste a decent tileset on what is essentially a dead planet for the majority of players.
  • Will lead to even more “I forgot to log in and now get to quit” posts then we have now.
5 Likes

The “respectful vs. not respectful” perspective might be skewing the results here. I’m sure everyone is generally aware of the semantics but I’m still reluctant to call any plotting “respectful”. Maybe if one player plots for someone else to build on you could call it respectful. I also don’t want to add to the percentages of “not respectful” because I think that itself skews what we see as “should or should not be allowed”.

Any time I voice my opinion in a post on plotting I feel like a bad guy, but at the same time I don’t want to sit idly by as the game is changed because some people with bigger voices are having personal issues. And I stress that I am not AT ALL referring to anything or anyone specific. I will always stand by my opinion that we need to play the ball as it lies. A big, undeveloped area owned by an inactive is rude and can hurt a city’s growth, but if the land is left natural then it isn’t ruining what is already there. Any tampering with that area to intentionally make it look bad and leave a stain on the city is trolling, and there are fair measures against that, on a case-by-case basis.

But when game mechanics are implemented in an attempt to curtail trolling but end up preventing an individual from carrying out their own plan that wouldn’t affect anyone whatsoever, things get too complicated and annoying. I don’t want to waste the devs’ time asking for beacon seniority over an inactive after I try to transfer my beacon from my main to my alt, yet I’m forced to because of horizontal reservations. I’m not mad at the player who plotted the half-regened build out there and didn’t fix it because they got there first and can do whatever they want with it. But they didn’t plot the four plots that 1/8 of my berry orchard was in, I did. So why did I have to post about it and wait a week for it to be fixed? I wasn’t certain it would ever be fixed so I lost my excitement to build there, and was being bothered by mobs spawning in what had been my land.

New rules will not stop trolls from trolling. They won’t stop people from being mad that other people plotted where they did, they literally just push the issue back two plots. In doing so, they’re making it more difficult for the majority of players to expand and to plan out their vision.

1 Like

I agree with this, and most of what you said in your post. However, i also see the need for these rules.

You have to see it from the developer’s perspective. We have a small playerbase now, and i’m willing to bet they have to spend a fair bit of their time on handling disputes in-game, related to plotting. While this is currently sapping a bit of their time, imagine if the game’s population grew by factor 10. They’d have to spend all their time just to solve disputes.

They are trying to future-proof the game. To make sure that they can spend less time with disputes and more time on the game itself.

Are these rules the way to go? I don’t know. Only time will tell. I’m not so certain the new compactness rule will do a lot, BUT i also don’t have all the information. I’m sure the devs have their good reasons and aren’t just throwing random rules around.

Buffers were a great addition. In my opinion, the best change after that would’ve been a settlement opt-out option. I’m not sure why this hasn’t been implemented yet, but once again i’m sure there are reasons for this.

2 Likes

I try to channel the thoughts of new players when I consider these updates, and I am confident that they will cause more complaints. There may be less complaints about other people, but more about empty buffers, cut off roads, and inability to join settlements by new players who don’t understand why things are this way and don’t know whom to talk to about them.

1 Like

The rules seem designed more to guide new players to keep them from unintentionally doing bad stuff. I suppose that much is good.

But it sucks it will affect so many of us.

I was purely joking about a citizenship test earlier. But maybe only have these compactness rules affect players under level 50 for now, and see how things play out on a smaller scale before applying them to everyone. Then do under level 100. Not to punish them or anything, just to give us a little time to see how this will work.

1 Like

I’d say it will have less of an effect on newer players than us. When a rule has been there for as long as you remember, most simply go with it because thats the only way they know. Its those who have to adapt during the change that really notice it.

Rules need to be for everyone. Besides, I don’t believe they have the ability to make plots work differently for different players. It would require a lot more backend work.

You missed my point :slight_smile: They may result in complaints, but not ones that need to be moderated. The moderation part is what’s taking the time. This is why i’m saying i don’t know if this solution is the best one, but it is their attempt at future-proofing the game.

You have to agree that the devs can’t just mediate on all these conflicts all the time. That shouldn’t be their job. They want to implement a system of rules that minimizes their involvement.

This is a valid argument, but not an argument not to implement better rules. I do agree that there is a problem with a lot of things not being easily accessible in this game, in terms of rules and etiquette.

Very true, but this is a temporary pain. Once that’s solved, the rules should prevent these situations from happening again.

2 Likes

Rules are good as a general concept.

These rules need some fine tuning though IMO to differentiate between appropriate, considerate and planned expansion vs malicious annexation.

1 Like

Once we see them running for awhile we may see some fine tuning. I doubt many people have really pushed the envelope over there in testing to give the sufficient feedback. It will work out in time.

1 Like

Look. All I’m saying is if the devs didn’t want us to act like trolls, babies or both, maybe they shouldn’t have used this as the basis for our character models:

3 Likes

Good one !!! :laughing:

100% agreed. I believe if someone has the goals of massive expansion, but it eventually (inevitably) will make contact with someone else’s smaller build. Please try to get creative and build around what’s existing while also reaching out to those players you encroach upon. Others may be playing less, and have smaller builds that they love just as much as your big builds, so don’t expect to push them out because you needed to have those plots they claimed first.

I also try to be an observer when it comes to such issues as I’m just here to play a video game I love to play. Also here to help anyone who needs it. But I don’t do well with the “plot politics”

1 Like

For my own personal example on how I behave while building. As I plot further out, if I find I’m nearing others, I stop, look at new options, and then usually build in the opposite directions. It allows for fresh ideas that most likely are even better than what I originally hoped for.

1 Like

Ground plotting versus air plotting vs underground plotting when nothing is being built.

The ground plotting really annoys me as I’m usually just trying to collect resources and the made the plotted area a resource desert. If the wanted to reserve for a future build please use air plots. Ty

1 Like