Do people really not stick around?

I recently got these achievements in Steam. Looking at the footnote on them it states that only 4.5% of players reach Level 30 and only 3.1% of players ever reach Level 40. Do you guys feel this is accurate? Is there a way to play Boundless other than on Steam?

So farm I’m loving Boundless and it’s hard for me to fathom that only 3.1% of players ever even make it to 40! How few are the people that make it to 50?? This game deserves so much more attention than it gets.

11 Likes

Boundless also available on PS4, and I think achievements were discussed before as the percentage not being accurate because they were added late in the process so many people already past that point.

I am not 100% sure, but it could also be counting Alts… i have 6 low level alts for crafting only that may never reach 40.

6 Likes

Everyone that stopped playing before release in EA count against the numbers, and it was a decent amount of people over the years. Also the mid level grind use to be incredibly harsh, though changes to the game and the development of the in game economy have removed that problem.

6 Likes

Also people that picked it up on a free weekend but never played? I think

5 Likes

Yeah, many “free weekend” beacons were short lived.

7 Likes

Not that the numbers parallel too differently, but for the PS4 version those percentages are 14.3% and 8.8%, respectively.

The PC version had a free weekend on steam last year which saw a huge but somewhat temporary influx of new player accounts created. Add that to EA players as @Peyago suggested, and that could be a largely contributing factor here.

4 Likes

I didn’t even think about the free weekend, but that along with the humble bundle crowd probably drop those numbers down quite a bit.

5 Likes

Yeah, not sure how the %s are established, but if its counting every key then a ton of those humble bundles that may have picked up the bundle for a different game may never see active use in boundless.

3 Likes

These are really good points that I hadn’t considered.

This can be one of the big problems with EA. People don’t like it and write it off or they burn out before it’s even finished. I’ve been guilty of that with titles I love. I played hundreds of hours of Prison Architect while in EA. So much that I got burned out and I have yet to play it since it’s been fully released.

That would certainly skew the numbers I think. Also a good point.

I wonder how many people that gave up during EA would really enjoy the game now if they just gave it a second chance.

4 Likes

At least people who bought the Humble Bundle can keep playing, the free weekenders had to suddenly pay up and if they then were at the middle where levelling can be a bit slower than they might have decided to not pay for the full game…

7 Likes

The game has also come quite a ways since then. Prices for mid range goods have dropped and its much easier to find items now to take part in the economy. We don’t really notice because it comes one patch at at time, but the game is very different from release already.

5 Likes

Yeah, the game has really developed a lot in 12 months and even more in 24. Exos, farming, t7 lucents, and a ton more building blocks, new chisels, paint too, concrete was added also, LEDs were added, circuitry blocks, and that mesh looking block, guilds and guild buffs, beacon compactness, crystominter to help economy stuff, I’m probably missing some things but the dev team has been working hard and really making the game better constantly.

Honestly it’s the expanding of the universe, adding of blocks, paint, farming, and the precision of building that keeps me coming back. Looking forward to continued content. Wish more people would give it more, definitely deserving.

Edit: oh yeah, they just added window signs and the reclaim system which is huge.

5 Likes

I think people hit what we call “The Gem Wall”… the game becomes less intuitive and more complicated… especially for solo players with no friends, or help.

I never played a building game before this… I game for the MMO part. This game has taught me so much about architecture, and sandbox games than I never knew before.

It’s also taught me about myself.

I love this game. :heartpulse:

4 Likes

I think currently its more like a Fence than a wall.

Its 2 times easier now to get gems as there is all the info… all the tools to buy etc.

When the game was launched it was hell of a grind to get even 25 workbench coils.

9 Likes

I went from copper tools to iron in 1 day. Then titanium in less than a week and gem tools the next week.

BUT I was ready from the beginning to be part of the economy.

If I wanted to do everything completely solo I probably would have quit before getting to any gem tool

2 Likes

Yeap… well… i cannot rly compare to myself to newer players… cause i knew what to do from the begin with.

Copper - iron - tita was my route too.
I grinded all the gems with iron tools pretty much… some time had tita wich was pretty massive improvement.

3 Likes

im smacking into the gem wall right now at full speed!
Lol im actually getting bored so im taking building contracts and it’ll be a lot of fun after its public. I’m also reading a bunch of minecraft guides on making redstone machines and even made a vending machine! I improve on the designs (for example, classic TNT cannon with obsidian so it doesnt destroy itself)

2 Likes

If I remember right these numbers even include people that played before there were achievements. So they never would have been counted if they did make the achievement.

4 Likes

A lot of people leave the game yes. Really the only ones left are the older players. Eventually you will see why if you keep reading the forums.

There’s more people than Steam shows (if you didn’t get that info already). If it feels dead, speak up! Someone might be looking for a hapless new person to take on an adventure; holy cow did I get shown some amazing things as a newbt that I didn’t even understand how they were part of the game. I’m really bad at reading guides to find out stuff, which keeps the mysteries arriving and unfolding, but also makes a “20 things you might not know you can do in Boundless” video an astounding revelation a year into the game. People sometimes go away and come back to put their life back together after playing for a month straight (j/k I got that out of my system playing ARK… maybe…). I forget what Iwas responding to, hope this was useful and/or entertaining.

5 Likes