Durability of Tools (Recorded information)

This info is for those people looking to efficiently save their resources or those that wanna know how long a tool lasts before breaking.

I was curious to know how long stone tools last compared to iron since they both seem to have the same amount of durability. So I spent some of my time today to record some data on them.
Here’s what I got so far(going to try and record the other types of material too):
#Hammers
Wood(7 hits to break stone): ~59 blocks
~413 hits before breaking

Stone (6 hits): ~67 blocks
~402 hits

Copper (5 hits): ~81 blocks
~405 hits

Iron (4 hits): ~100 blocks
~402 hits(added in the hits that i missed)

Gold(3 hits): ~134 blocks
~402 hits

Silver(3 hits): ~134 blocks
~402 hits

Titanium(3 hits): ~137 blocks
~411 hits

#Axes
Wood (7 hits to break wood and leaves): ~58 blocks
~406 hits

Stone (6 hits): ~66 blocks
~402 hits (added in the hits I missed during lag)

Copper (5 hits): ~81 blocks
~405 hits

Iron (4 hits): ~98 blocks
~402 hits

#Shovels

Wood (7 hits to break dirt or sand): ~58 blocks
~406 hits

Stone (6 hits): ~67 blocks
~404 hits

Copper (5 hits): ~80 blocks
~400 hits

Iron (5 hits): ~100 blocks
~403 hits

#Grappling Hooks

Copper (2 hits): ~370 hits
~ 195 total grapples(one to grab and one to let go) before it breaks

• Noticeable durability loss for every 5 hits (2 and a half grapples)

As of right now it doesn’t matter if you grapple the air, you’ll still lose durability.

EDIT: added in wood tools and shovels, I may have miscounted on wood, or on the whole thing but they’re all still close to around 400 hits before breaking

EDIT: added in copper, each tier has about a 10 block difference with the exception of iron that has a difference of 20.

25 Likes

You’re doing God’s work.

10 Likes

Ya i thought that durability have something wrong… Iron grappling hook distance is greater but it wears as fast than copper.

1 Like

I can’t continue on today D: too much Slow Network.

I’m pretty sure wood tools last around 400 hits too, though. Even with all the random rubber banding.

I somehow am still on a war path with wear out of tools as it is right now.

Somehow I would rather like tools to lose their “sharpness”. If it hits zero it is not destroyed, so you don’t have to build a new one, but you can’t use it anymore.

My proposal would be a kind of machines Which can 're-sharpen" tools. This machine should have different versions to sharpen different materials. So you don’t always have to use ressources and time to build new tools and replace them again and again in your inventory, but you need to offer time in maintaining the wear out of your sharpening machines with spanners.

That would prevent players from loosing their high tier tools all the time. I imagine having a sapphire hammer and am afraid to use it too much cause it could break somewhen and I lose it forever. And I took 100s of hours to find some sapphire block to build it… seems frustrating

I know it’s in someway shifting the maintaining effort from reproducing tools to maintaining machines. But I could better live with that scenario because I don’t physically lose my tools all the time.

What do you think? Would there be a benefit in my model? Or a dramatic counter argument? Is it a unfair buff for miners? Or do we just make them more dependent from machine crafters?

The current situation makes me use stone tools all the time. True I need 6 hits instead of 4 to break a block. But on the other hand farming iron and copper takes a lot of time too. Imams the ressource is so rare that I wanna use it for machines and other things…

5 Likes

Repairing should only be possible if you need the raw material used for the tool in the nearly same amount as you would need it to make a new one (may be we could brake it down in parts, so if you need 10 saphires per tool you could repair 10% dura per saphire in the repair station). We should also keep in mind that tools from a high tier are most times needed to gather high mats and if you loose your tool and don’t have some backup-items you may have to begin at nearly Zero again to go up the “Tool-Ladder” again.

The problem with this is that it destroys the reason to buy tools, it slows one of the most important factors of a flowing economy to a halt, the refining of resources into tool that can be sold.

4 Likes

This is helpfull

yeah, that’s kind of my thought as well, beginning from zero.

I really don’t know if that’s the right answer. There is so much more you can trade with… Think of weapons, armor, accessoirse, magical items, elemental items, materials for machines.
I don’t think the economy is :speak_no_evil: up when your tools do not break, but lose their sharpness.
Of course it should cost materials the tool is made off to maintain it, but maybe not in the same amount.

So achieving a tool is one thing, keeping it intact is another thing.

i had 3 times the same problem, i was mining a hole and the hammer is broken and arround me only iron/coal

I added in wood tools and shovels. It seems that wood tools are slightly better to use if you’re looking to save a lot of materials and still hoard a lot of stone and wood when you’re out gathering.

About a 9 block difference between stone and wood tools.

2 Likes

I feel that there has to be a work around for durability other than making 100 of each tool. I think an anvil option to repair tools should be implemented. I know some people might say that will slow or halt the economy of the tool trade. It really wont though. Instead of selling a finished product you can simply sell raw materials at higher cost, compensating for the difference in cost of a finished product. Furthermore there is WAY more profit to be made by selling it in bulk. That would still leave open for custom made tools that tool smiths will be able to solely make. I would assume that at least up to iron quality tools anyone will be able to make. So being picky about being able to sell those tools as a whole or in components is just not worth it, when selling higher tier tools will be the real cash cow of the trade. Sure a repairing feature also means that people can just handle things themselves, totally correct. However a simple solution is, if you can’t make it you can’t repair it. Which then means that smiths can sell the higher quality tools, as well as the service to repair said tools. Also repairing tools in itself would be a business, say I don’t want to spend my iron on repairing my tools, I simply pay a smith coins to repair them for me. That smith then can use that coin to buy resources. Ultimately the economy is allowed to flow, just in different ways.

I know it’s a game, but in real life either way really works as well from an economic standpoint. Smiths use to not just make tools, they would also repair. Sometimes at a higher cost than tools were actually worth to compensate for the time it would take to repair vs the bundles of tools already present. A repairing system, in my opinion, opens a lot more economic flow in the tool market than the simple just make 100 and sell the 100. I would also say, if they plan on adding like enchanting or magic augmentation to tools, the inability to repair said tools would be painful.

7 Likes

Agreed, too much time is spent on mining to make more tools. I don’t like how I have to resort to mining enough materials to make bundles for the sake of saving resources, but this is too early for me to judge how progression currently is since the other features aren’t out yet. Maybe i’ll change my mind later on, but right now i’m a bit upset on how they made most of the tools have around the same durability. I say most since I don’t have silver or gold tools yet.

It’s like all that time I’ll spend on making those machines were for nothing if these tools won’t last me long compared to the time I spent making them. Especially with the time it takes for bundles to be made. I still love playing this game. I just don’t like how they made crafting a bit time gated. Especially when you want to make materials for your house. Most of my time is spent waiting for my stone slabs/stairs/and walls to be made.

4 Likes

I agree all the way

Products first, polishing last as wise old man said :wink:

2 Likes

You guys need to keep in mind that this is just the first implementation of durability, those numbers are still ‘work in progress’ and will probably be adjusted later on.
That in mind I think that the idea of “perma-braking” suits Boundless very well.

3 Likes

@Talathel @Vastar Yea, sorry about that. I had to let it out of my system :x. The past MC player in me kind of hoped for longer lasting tools rather than making Bundles. Aaaand maybe all this comparing the current tools’ durability to others got into my head a bit too much.

2 Likes

I feel you.
And I agree with you that tools (especially the basic stone/metal ones) need to last longer, though, I can imagine that it’s quite tricky to balance cost & durability if you have to consider economy and crafting as a whole.

2 Likes

Cost is already done, iron tools need 2x more fossil extracts compared to copper, and silver need little bit over 2 times more fossils and is first tool set what requires sparks so you need to make power core before getting silver tools :wink:

Just because it’s ingame doesn’t mean it’s final. :wink:
As I already wrote: What we see is just a first-pass implementation.
I’m sure that a lot recipes and numbers will change in the future, based on community feedback and design-changes by the developers.

3 Likes