Durability of Tools (Recorded information)

Wow, that are good news. Thanks for the infos :slight_smile: ā€¦ Especially the additional features to come sound interesting. Hope they come soon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Glad to hear that you plan on adding some randomness to the crafting :+1:
Now I cant wait to see your way of implementing RNG into the game (hopefully its a bit more than a bare numbers game)
Iā€™m especially eager to see if & how youā€™ll incorporate the elemental mods that have been mentioned into an RNG systemā€¦(Something like an elemental version of the random weapon talents in The Division pops into mind)

1 Like

Added copper tools

Thanks to todayā€™s update I was able to grab a hold of silver and titanium tools :slight_smile:.

Sadly Titanium has little to no difference for its crazy cost so I advise not to work towards that. Unless titanium tools are the only tools that could break a gemā€¦ if I could find one.

Ruby at the very least can be broken by gold tools.

2 Likes

Have you made a ruby tool yet? Do you know how many hits it takes for it to break a block by any chance? :smiley: (im desperate to know)

I havenā€™t mined any. Gemstone tool recipes arenā€™t in the game yet (or at least the machine to make them isnā€™t). I think it still only takes 3 hits to break.

My big issue with tools is that because you need more expensive hammers to mine higher end materials, I end up carrying an a variety of hammers everywhere. Iā€™m not going to waste my gold hammer on regular rock.

4 Likes

A part of it is about the right tool for the right job and less about mindlessly hitting things without the need to optimize. It can certainly be fiddly switching between tools, but that is also part of the fun if you want to be a good miner.

Smart stacking should make inventory space less of an issue, if that is part of the problem for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for thoughts and ideas. Itā€™s great to see proper debate about features ā€“ itā€™s very helpful.

All the balance in the game is what I would call spreadsheet balance ā€“ some thought has been put into it, but mainly outside of the game. A big part of this early access process is to test the balance and tweak, and we will be doing that. I can see the case for the higher rated tools having more durability and weā€™ll take a look at that for the next balance pass.

As some of you have pointed out the reason that everything degrades is to keep the economy flowing. To keep all aspects of the supply chain working, demand needs to be kept up. This is especially true of weapons and tools as I think crafting / selling those will be a draw for many people.

If we allow people to repair their own weapons then the larger market might be in raw materials, rather than in the weapons and tools themselves, which I think will be disappointing to all the budding weapon smiths out there, as well as making the shops less interesting. If we make it that you go to a weapon repairer and pay them to repair your weapons then that activity is pushed back into the economy, but there are practical problems. How do you give an item to another player, have them repair it, then get the item back, and pay them money all in a way that doesnā€™t rely on trust? It would be a complex transaction, with a new interface unlike the existing crafting, and all that adds up to work to implement, and Iā€™m not seeing the payoff for that work. Wouldnā€™t it be better to sink that time and effort into the weapon crafting and stats systems to make them better?

To follow up on the conversation about randomness in the crafting, we have big plans for that, which we will present in due course. The plans are still loose at the moment, so we need to work out what weā€™re thinking and then weā€™ll share. Donā€™t worry you will have the opportunity to comment before anything is committed to.

At a high level weā€™re looking at an extra crafting system (based around a machine called the Forge), into which you put ā€œvanillaā€ items such as the ones in the game at the moment, along with extra ingredients, and after a few steps you get an upgraded item. As I say we will discuss the details in the future, but the intention is to have RNG, character progression, and human strategy / skill all play a part in the outcome.

So you will likely craft many items, and out of that will come a range of qualities, with a few duds, a large amount of good ones, and a few great ones. Crafting or buying a really amazing item will feel like an event and it would be frustrating to lose that item in a short time. Getting the durability of all items right is important, but particularly the more powerful ones, and itā€™s something weā€™ll keep an eye on.

So overall adding a repair feature looks like extra work and complexity for little gain. We will need to make sure that weapons and tools breaking makes a cool economy and is an exciting aspect of the game, rather than a chore.

I donā€™t want to shut down debate, and nothing is set in stone, so if there are compelling reasons for repairing in the future please let us know and we can rethink, but right now Iā€™m not seeing the benefit.

16 Likes

Itā€™s good to hear that from time to time^[1]
How do you give an item to another player, have them repair it, then get the item back, and pay them money all in a way that doesnā€™t rely on trust? It would be a complex transaction, with a new interface unlike the existing crafting, and all that adds up to work to implement, and Iā€™m not seeing the payoff for that work. Wouldnā€™t it be better to sink that time and effort into the weapon crafting and stats systems to make them better?
[/quote]

Thatā€™s a good point which I was also thinking about. Maybe as a after 1.0 Feature?

And if you nail the durability of all the interesting tools and weapons I think almost nobody is against waiting a bit for a repair feature which might or might not come^^

1. quote=ā€œolliepurkiss, post:50, topic:5042ā€ ā†©ļøŽ

Since the repair interaction is a problem, how about making a craftable repair item which can be sold?

Additionally, you could add number of repairs to all items as a stat. Duds cant be repaired, a good item could be repaired once or twice and an amazing item 3-5 times.

You could also have a range of durability repair from the repair items. Repair Kits, I suppose. They would have a random percentage or durability repair.

If the repair kit is expensive to craft, then only items that people are attached to will get repaired. But not infinitely. If only crafters could craft the best repair items, then the economy will be stimulated by that. People will buy the items and the supporting repair items together, Iā€™d imagine.

That way thereā€™s no need to create a new interaction between players and I think it would be simpler to implement. People want to take care of their nice things.

4 Likes

As implementing infinite repairing would most certainly require a complete rework of the crafting balance Iā€™d say that we just witnessed a sugar coated but definite ā€œnoā€ from olliepurkiss.

Thatā€™s a really cool ā€œideaā€ (I assume youā€™ve played Dying Light? :wink:)

Since things after 1.0 could include even a complete rework of the crafting balance. No we didnā€™t. It was just a ā€œWe donā€™t quite see the reason to implement something like that at the moment because we donā€™t have the time to do it.ā€

Also sugar coatet anythings are not worth anything. They have no substance what so ever in my book.

Iā€™m kinda shocked by that line :scream:
You go great lengths to make sure that there is no ā€œbetterā€ with cosmetic-only wearables, cosmetic-only races and probably even non-linear material progression.
And suddenly I see things like ā€œgoodā€, ā€œbadā€ and ā€œgreatā€ā€¦who are you and what have you done to the old olliepurkiss?

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this was posted before (didnā€™t had the time now to read all in detail) but what if materials need different amount of durability when gathered? ā€¦ So for example (with each tool is able to harvest the same mats as used to in the live servers) : ā€¦

A wood hammer has durability 100, a stone one 200 and a iron one 400ā€¦ To gather rock you need 2 durability, for coal or iron its 4 and fro silver 8 ā€¦ (numbers Going up each tier of tool /mat)

So each tool of higher level is also useful for gathering lower Mats because itā€™s really durable for that while it is at ā€œstandard niveauā€ for the mats it is needed for.

May be a very high tiered tool looses no durability when used on very low tiered blocks (like a Ruby hammer on standard rocks), but that would be a decision of testing and balancing :wink:

4 Likes

I think the point of it is less of making something ā€œbetterā€ and more about making tools interesting all the way throughout the game, so you donā€™t end up with the minecrafty diamonds=stronk leather=weak and more ā€œOh so he is using a gold alloy that must mean that he is focused on elemental damageā€ (or something in that direction).

When something is better because of the rng and skill provided it becomes a temporary better choice instead of being the only logical choice always.

Problem is for that to be economically viable you would need one for every material and possible every enhancement. Making it to be quite a ot of different repair items.

This on the other hand seems like an amazing idea for any repair system implemented!

1 Like

Shorud of the Avatar has per item Dura and Max Dura ā€¦ Dura can be repaired, but 10% of all damage also reduces the max value ā€¦ the max value can be raised again by a rare coinage (which is sadly also to be baught, but also resellable and to be looted as a rare drop), but each time you restore the max dura the price for this act is raising, so even the best item will break (or become to expansive to be restored)

And ps: repairing works with repair tools which come in several kinds (one for each craft) this could be changed to one for each kind of itemgroup (tools, weapons, armor,ā€¦) or per material (stone/iron/gold /ā€¦). ā€¦ Or we make global ones of different materials which work for all stuff of that mat or lower tiers (for which they restore more durable then (gold only work for gold or below and would restore double on iron or three times as much on stone for example))

And pps: crafters specialized on crafting through skills could then craft better repair kits which restore more, so they would still have an advantage which can be sold (a solution on the trust problem with giving items to other people so that they can repair for a price)

1 Like

It doesnā€™t need to be multiple items if itā€™s the Oort equivalent of duct tape. If you canā€™t Oort it, abort it.

1 Like

When it costs resources to repair a dull tool, it works fine. I made a post a while back concerning this subject.

To balance the economy, everything must have enough uses that it can be consumed. Otherwise you have a flood of ether indestructible/unsellable junk. Only a percentage of players smart enough to turn a profit from their time and a small percentage of items worth gathering or crafting for money. (Iā€™m looking at you Runescape and Minecraft)

How to allow for a consumable economy:

Everything has a recipe or multiple recipes that craft useful items. This requires careful thought before introducing new items and the rarity of the items. (Rarity meaning how hard is it to acquire)

The ability for these items to be consumed readily. Potions, food spoilage, (You shouldnā€™t be able to have 1,567,789 tuna sitting in your bank you forgot to flip for a profit 3 years prior) Typically the big problems revolved around large masses of smaller items. ā€˜Junkā€™

Every object of mortal/lower tier sapients design will (Eventually) wear out and break. This can be accomplished with an increasing cost of repair (In resources or time) to the point of it being cheaper to make a new one. Having no repair mechanic at all makes little sense in a realistic universe, particularly for high tier items.

Gold? Silver? Why? The real properties of these items would make terrible tools. Golds density, malleability, and rarity (At least in earths crust) offer no benefit to the tool user. (A small brick of gold could weigh 40 kilos)You mineaswell make lead tools, it would be cheaper. Or a metal from the platinum family, more expensive but harder. has other uses, just not as a tool.

Silver is similar, it has medicinal and electrical applications but would make a terrible tool.

Sapphire and other hard stones are exactly that, they are hard. A tool needs to be tough. If you drop a ceramic mug and a plastic cup on the tile, which will survive?

Iron? You mean low grade steel? Pure iron is dense, hard, and readily succumbs to oxidation. There are over a hundred different steel alloys.

Titanium, ah. Titanium or titanium alloy would make great armor, tools and weapons. Itā€™s susceptibility to corrosion ironically protects it by quickly forming a protective barrier on its skin. It is about 40% lighter then your average steel. Itā€™s tough, and hard. (Some steel alloys have superior toughness/hardness qualities then titanium)

Other candidates: Aluminum, bronze, tungsten, chert, nephrite jade, bone, obsidian.

1 Like