Durability of Tools (Recorded information)

I’m sorry, but this just can’t be what the developers are thinking. . . if the economic system that you’ve proposed were to be put into place then there would have to be people that did nothing but mine, nothing but refine, nothing but crafting, and nothing but enchanting. That’s one way to destroy the fun of a game really fast. Who wants to mine all day? What should be happening is that as you get better at doing things and “level up your skills” each thing that you use for that skill, e.g. mining, should be more productive. If I’m a level 1000 master miner, it shouldn’t take me as many hits to mine element X.

I haven’t said that you should not be able to do more than one of those jobs. But if you can repair all items yourself new weapons won’t be needed all the time essentially making sure that close to no one will focus most of their time on becoming high level in the professions that focus on making high level version of those.

Of course a person focused on mining and gathering can craft themselves but they can’t make the best weapons and tools if they haven’t focused on that, this gives them a reason to buy them from others, if they don’t have a reason to buy them from others the economy slowly grinds to a halt.

(That may or made not make sense I am sick and just slept 19 hours)

1 Like

Ah, man, sorry to hear about your illness. I myself am getting over about 10 days of the cold. I think I made more sense of your comment before. It’s good. My thoughts were coming from the view that Boundless is going to have so much more than just the same things you can do in other similar games, like minecraft. e.g, there will be raiding and guilds and other group things. Hopefully, there will be quests, even without the NPCs. They could be achievement directed quests, or exploration quests, etc.

I love to build, hence why I’m interested in the sandbox game that is boundless. But, there will be days where I just want to go fight/explore and quest. I don’t want everything I do to center on my profession. However, if they could make that as fun as guild raids, I’d be impressed and very pleased.

errrr i played FF14 ARR and spent 12 hrs a day crafting and about 1-2 hrs gathering lol (and i did it because i enjoyed it)

We have a basic version of this working in-house at the moment. There’s still a lot of work to do in this area, but there will be achievements / objectives you can do at your leisure.

We’re hoping gathering is a lot more fun in Boundless seeing as it is a core part of the Sandbox experience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so far been really enjoying the gathering/crafting aspect of boundless :slight_smile:
still cant find that last ancient tech component for my power core thought :cry:

Does anyone have much info on titanium alloy hammers vs gold alloy hammers?

is it worth making the titanium?

I couldn’t find anywhere durability of diamond tools so I made a research.

I managed to mine 666 blocks with one diamond hammer. Every block took 3 hits in current live version, so that’s 1998 hits all together.
I believe I have managed to not loose any hits due to rubber banding and missing.

4 Likes

Iron hammer can mine 200 blocks exactly, that probably changed since OP was posted. I have known that from before but just to be sure, tested today, and in live version 1 iron hammer gives 200 blocks. I mined clay soil, though I don’t think it matters at all :slight_smile:
So, 200 blocks, 4 hits per block, that’s 800 durability.

4 Likes

It will all look different with skill progression.
Example: stone hammer in beginner’s hand breaks some 30 blocks. A few skills later you break a good 100. I dont know what’s the maximum here.

I only started using iron recently and I didn’t have a chance to check what’s minimum durability and couldn’t check how much I can mine with more skills cause I died once and entire iron hammer stack got damaged. :joy:

1 Like

haha, that just means we’re gonna have to do a bunch of research once updates go live :nerd:

1 Like

Exactly.

Happy times. :grin:

1 Like

Just used a brand new iron hammer and mine 500 blocks with 2 hits per block = 1000 hits durability.
I have Item Durability I skill (decreasing decay rate by 10%) and Hammer Mastery V (skill description only states it increases mastery, I don’t know if tool longevity is affected here).

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome to hear! 2 hits per block with iron, I guess we will soon loose major whine point :smiley:

1 Like

It is after some progression. Starting point might be quite painful for the impatient breed.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You need to spend some time leveling in crafting skills before you can extract fossil and produce iron tools. Before that you are using stone ones. And you start with ability to mine like 30 blocks with it before you invest in mastery and get far enough in unlocking skills to be able to learn that durability skill.

It is going to be a game for people with a bit of patience.
Halleluyah! :sunglasses:

:

4 Likes

That’s a huge change from before! Thanks for recording this :smiley:

3 Likes

Did copper hammer today, 100 blocks, 5 hits per block, 500 durability.

Interesting to record this before next update so we have track on how tools evolved :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Testing copper so now.
Like with the iron one, I have Item Durability I skill (decreasing decay rate by 10%) and Hammer Mastery V (skill description only states it increases mastery, I don’t know if tool longevity is affected here).
Results coming soon.

3 Likes

Ok, I ran into a few complications. Fatigue kicked in and it changed a number of hits I needed to break a stone with a copper hammer. Normally I needed 3 but it changed to 4.

On a side note: that made me realize that fatigue decreases damage dealt with a tool. I haven't noticed that with iron hammers as the damage penalty wasn't big enough to change hits per block (always needed 2). With a copper hammer in the fatigue state 3 hits would leave a tiny bit of block's durability, requiring an additional blow.

Back to research - the fatigue effect kicked in after some 15 blocks (could be 14 or 16) and then it was ok again, and then it kicked in again. I created 2 separate stacks of mined blocks and switched their position in inventory, so the 3 hit blocks go to a different stack than the 4 hit ones. Still, there surely is a bit of miscalculation there (might be 2-3 blocks error). Rubber banding caused a few mishits as well, so a total error might be around 5 hits.

COPPER HAMMER SUMMARY:
65 blocks with 4 hits = 260 hits
98 blocks with 3 hits = 304 hits
TOTAL DURABILITY: 564 hits

4 Likes